The Student Room Group

Where do we draw the line with the term homophobia ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the bear
i am not sure which genius invented the word homophobia... that means fear of homosexuals.
homoantipathy would be more appropriate.

Yeah it doesn't apply to most people but I have a friend who I am beginning to think is genuinely terrified of gay people she's respectful and she wont say anything in front of someone but I think she's actually quite scared It would be funny apart from that if someone gay found out they would be offended- it must be worse to have people scared of you than to hate you because it hurts more
Reply 61
Original post by shadowdweller
Clearly a fantastic reason to prevent gay people from getting married.

Oh hey wait, we don't base laws on whether one person finds it disgusting.

I do not expect the law to be changed, I was just projecting me opinion
Original post by abdulahi
I do not expect the law to be changed, I was just projecting me opinion

Why do you think it's disgusting?
Reply 63
Original post by zeb123
I hate how if your against Gay people then all of a sudden your an outcast and a bad human being who has no morals etc...

End of the day we have a right to our own views and Pro Gays shouldn't force their views on us and call us Homophobic as same as we shouldn't force our views on them.

I have my opinion on this matter and I'm sticking to it. I would kindly appreciate it if Pro Homosexuals give me a lecture on why I'm wrong when I have the free will to choose my own beliefs!

You're entitled to your beliefs undoubtedly. At the same time, I'm entitled to challenge those beliefs if you air them publicly, just as I would challenge somebody airing publicly racist or sexist views. You're entitled to your opinion, but don't be offended when you're challenged because of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The guy clearly isn't homophobic; he is against gay marraige, and finds homosexual acts digusting. Neither of those two are homophobic.

So many stupid opinions on this thread.
Original post by 3LostContinents
This is the equivalent to saying "I don't support interracial marriage and people of other races repulse me, but if I have to I'll save someone of another race from being murdered. Maybe. But I'm not a racist, right?"

...being repulsed by someone because of who they choose to love and have sex with (which is none of your business anyway) is homophobic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not even remotely comparable analogy.

Ignoring the fact that race and homosexuality are completely different (one you are born with, the other is a matter for debate), your analogy is equivalent to the OP saying he doesn't support gay marriage and gay people repulse him. He didn't say that, he said the thought of two men having sex repulses him, which is understandable, and different.

Also, he said he would step in if a gay person was being beaten to death, not 'Maybe.' You can't ascertain whether the OP is homophobic from his original post because to be homophobic is more than just not supporting gay marriage and being disgusted by two men having sex.
Original post by Ageofsin&lies
Read me username then think again whether I'm joking.

You can believe what you want to believe, but I cringed at "bourgeois liberal elite".
Original post by marcus2001
Not even remotely comparable analogy.

Ignoring the fact that race and homosexuality are completely different (one you are born with, the other is a matter for debate), your analogy is equivalent to the OP saying he doesn't support gay marriage and gay people repulse him. He didn't say that, he said the thought of two men having sex repulses him, which is understandable, and different.

Also, he said he would step in if a gay person was being beaten to death, not 'Maybe.' You can't ascertain whether the OP is homophobic from his original post because to be homophobic is more than just not supporting gay marriage and being disgusted by two men having sex.

Except it isn't a matter of debate. Every bit of science has shown that homosexuality is something you are born with.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
What people choose to do is up to them, nowhere did I say it bothers me. I just don't support it. Similarly to I don't support people who do drugs, I don't care that people do it.

But would you support legislation which prevented say, gay marriage? As you said, what people choose to do is up to them. Do you believe that they should be free to do everything which you can do?

Obviously everybody is entitled to their own opinions, but everybody else is free to criticize senseless bigotry. Moreover, when those opinions are entirely unfounded and can cause hurt to other innocent people, I feel it to be the obligation of others to challenge such notions.
Original post by arcturus7
But would you support legislation which prevented say, gay marriage? As you said, what people choose to do is up to them. Do you believe that they should be free to do everything which you can do?

Obviously everybody is entitled to their own opinions, but everybody else is free to criticize senseless bigotry. Moreover, when those opinions are entirely unfounded and can cause hurt to other innocent people, I feel it to be the obligation of others to challenge such notions.

Yes, I would support legislation to prevent it as personally I don't agree with it.
Yes, I would support legislation to prevent it as personally I don't agree with it.

How can you justify limiting the social liberties of someone just because of who they are attracted to? Especially when it neither effects you nor harms anybody. Religious bigotry is no reason to pass laws on who people can marry.

If society made laws based on what a fraction of the proportion didn't support, we would be devoid of many things that you take for granted. Organized religion, for example.

But fortunately that's not how we do things in the UK, and people should be thankful for that.
How can you justify limiting the social liberties of someone just because of who they are attracted to? Especially when it neither effects you nor harms anybody. Religious bigotry is no reason to pass laws on who people can marry.

If society made laws based on what a fraction of the proportion didn't support, we would be devoid of many things that you take for granted. Organized religion, for example.

But fortunately that's not how we do things in the UK, and people should be thankful for that.

So you're saying that if giving the choice the British pubic would illeagalise freedom of religion?

C'mon, give us more credit than that.

The UK runs on democracy and majority vote. If my opinion and views conflict with the dominant ideology, so be it. My views however still stand.
Reply 73
The UK runs on democracy and majority vote. If my opinion and views conflict with the dominant ideology, so be it. My views however still stand.

The UK is a liberal democracy that upholds and respects the rights of the individual. So you can't complain when you hold views that go against that liberal ideology and people challenge you for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Everyone already had the same rights to get married, marriage being a union between a man and a woman, so talk of "social liberties" is sophistry. What homosexuals wanted to do was form a different arrangement and gain the right to call this entity a "marriage" and teach in primary schools that it is a "marriage" and insist that everyone else calls their relationship a "marriage".
Original post by euphful
The UK is a liberal democracy that upholds and respects the rights of the individual. So you can't complain when you hold views that go against that liberal ideology and people challenge you for it.

Won't last because your sort are too intolerant towards those that don't share your views. Rip out all those "protected characteristics" from the cultural Marxist "equality" laws and see how popular this stuff is without the authoritarian State's muscle behind it.
Original post by thesabbath
Everyone already had the same rights to get married, marriage being a union between a man and a woman, so talk of "social liberties" is sophistry. What homosexuals wanted to do was form a different arrangement and gain the right to call this entity a "marriage" and teach in primary schools that it is a "marriage" and insist that everyone else calls their relationship a "marriage".

No they didn't? That was entirely the point.
No they didn't? That was entirely the point.

Everyone was equal under the law and had exactly the same rights to marriage provided certain conditions were met (old enough, the intended partner being of the opposite sex and neither already married or a blood relation).

Of course if you want to redefine the notion of what a marriage is then why stop at opening it up to people of the same sex who want to call their parody a "marriage"? There's plenty of other arrangements that people might want to call a "marriage" which they don't have the right to do.
Original post by thesabbath
Everyone was equal under the law and had exactly the same rights to marriage provided certain conditions were met (old enough, the intended partner being of the opposite sex and neither already married or a blood relation).

Of course if you want to redefine the notion of what a marriage is then why stop at opening it up to people of the same sex who want to call their parody a "marriage"? There's plenty of other arrangements that people might want to call a "marriage" which they don't have the right to do.

Straight people could marry the person they wanted to, and gay people couldn't. But please, do continue on the 'everyone already was equal' track.

How exactly is it a parody?
Straight people could marry the person they wanted to, and gay people couldn't. But please, do continue on the 'everyone already was equal' track.

How exactly is it a parody?

That's not the fault of the law which applied to everyone equally. They wanted to do something else and call it by an existing name which was already well defined and had a specific meaning. One might think that a civil partnership covered the legal privileges of a marriage but no, they want to pretend to be the same. It's like a woman saying its unfair she is called a woman and wants to be called a man (well, I suppose trannies do that now).

As to why the State is so concerned with re-ordering institutions at gunpoint to accommodate the whims of those who can't even reproduce and therefore have no genetic investment in the next generation I have absolutely no idea.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending