The Student Room Group

Where do we draw the line with the term homophobia ?

Poll

Am I Homophobic

Personally Im not a supporter of gay marriage in fact i am totally against it.

Also the thought of two men engaging in sexual acts makes me feel sick to my stomach however i can be respectful to gay people if i see them . If i saw one getting beaten to the point of near death,if i knew they could die i would try jump in and stop it ,not before obviously because i rarely like getting involved in other peoples dramas unless i like them or know them on a level that i can say boom they are my fam . I also try not to say bad things about them as well . Does not supporting gay marriage and being repulsed by the act make me a homophobe ? if so where do we draw the line

Scroll to see replies

This is the equivalent to saying "I don't support interracial marriage and people of other races repulse me, but if I have to I'll save someone of another race from being murdered. Maybe. But I'm not a racist, right?"

...being repulsed by someone because of who they choose to love and have sex with (which is none of your business anyway) is homophobic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
How open minded, if you saw 'one being beaten to death' you would intervene. I would start with drawing the line at any form of discrimination or victimisation. I am glad to live to see the tide turn against the centuries of homophobia that has gone before..
i am not sure which genius invented the word homophobia... that means fear of homosexuals.
homoantipathy would be more appropriate.
Reply 4
Effeminate gay males make me cringe...Also why is being supportive of homosexuality synonymous with being open minded?
Original post by 3LostContinents
This is the equivalent to saying "I don't support interracial marriage and people of other races repulse me, but if I have to I'll save someone of another race from being murdered. Maybe. But I'm not a racist, right?"

...being repulsed by someone because of who they choose to love and have sex with (which is none of your business anyway) is homophobic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But i cant help that though . i am attracted to women not men . I am also very alpha as well . .
I just cant get down with that .
Reply 6
I love gay men. I wish there were more. Less competition for us hetros. :wink:
As long as you don't start spouting hate-speech, or letting your personal thoughts negatively affect your actions toward gay people, you're fine. People are allowed to have opinions, regardless of how backward they seem to the society of the day.
Most people don't mind if you hold anti-homosexuality views. It's when you start trying to discriminate against gay people/deny them rights/abuse them over things that don't affect you in any way that it starts becoming an issue.
morganfreeman.jpg
But seriously, why are you against gay marriage? I don't understand why two people loving each other and wanting to make a commitment is an issue for people. If your reason is religious, then just... damn.

Homophobia is a ridiculous term, but most importantly it is baseless and makes no sense. I think opposing gay marriage does make it easy for you to be put in the "homophobe" group, and the way you have presented your views on this thread does suggest it too.

If it makes you sick, don't think about it, no problem. Just don't try and discriminate against them, because they aren't giving you a hard time despite all the abuse they have to suffer over their lifetimes.

What shocked me most was your suggestion that you wouldn't help a person who was being beaten, just because they were gay, unless they were on the point of death. I hope for your sake that if you're ever in that situation, other people would still jump in to help you despite your distasteful views.

As has been said, I disagree with anti-homosexuality views and I personally think they are quite disgusting, but I wouldn't take any action or treat you differently so long as you don't act on those views.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by matthewduncan
But i cant help that though . i am attracted to women not men . I am also very alpha as well . .
I just cant get down with that .

Well you don't need to 'get down' with it. You just need to accept that it happens. You should treat everyone with equal respect - regardless of who the are attracted to.

Just because you aren't attracted to men does not mean others shouldn't be. By that logic, homosexuals should dislike you because you aren't attracted to men.

Oh, and word of advice, the use of the word alpha is disgusting. Please don't describe yourself as such. It implies that you think you're better than other people.
Original post by Ogmios97
Effeminate gay males make me cringe...Also why is being supportive of homosexuality synonymous with being open minded?

This. Effiminate camp men (gay or not) are highly annoying and I feel the urge to punch them in the mouth when they're around me.

I think the term "open-minded" means open to try/explore new things, it doesn't necessarily mean be accepting of everything around you e.g. homosexuality.
I'm curious as to why you're against gay marriage, which gives the same legal (iirc?) rights etc as a heterosexual married couple. Are gay couples not allowed the same legal rights etc as a heterosexual couple then, in your opinion? Which then is discrimination surely?
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't support gays, men are meant to go with women.
Original post by 3LostContinents

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't say its the same. Race is just different sorry
Original post by Old_Simon
Adoption of needy children by "gay" people makes me sick.

It's remarkable the fluidity with which you jump from posting offensive trash in the immigrant-bashing thread to doing the same in the homophobic one, it really is.
Original post by Abdul-Karim

Says who?

Procreation is the only logical reason you could state to support that comment, however I get the distinct impression you're going to give me a somewhat different reason.

I dare you.
Original post by Old_Simon
Adoption of needy children by "gay" people makes me sick.

Most studies show that children fare just as well when raised by a same-sex couple.

Original post by the bear
i am not sure which genius invented the word homophobia... that means fear of homosexuals.
homoantipathy would be more appropriate.

A phobia is an extreme or irrational fear of or aversion to something. It doesn't just mean fear of.

Original post by MASTER265
It sickens me to think two men could participate in such activities. Two lesbians on the other hand are welcome and deserve the respect and support of the nation.

Because that's clearly reasonable :rolleyes:

Original post by Abdul-Karim

Why?
I'm bisexual, if you want my potential relationship with a man to be different from my potential relationship with a woman, and support legislation to force that distinction, it's homophobia.
I find the whole anti-gay marriage argument bizarre. If you don't like gay-marriage, don't have one.

I don't understand straight men dressing in ladies underwear, for example, so I wouldn't do it myself - but why should it bother me if someone else does that in the privacy of their own home?

It's fine to not like things yourself, but it becomes homophobia when you try and impose your view of the world onto other people, and prevent *them* doing things that *you* dislike.

Quick Reply

Latest