The Student Room Group

Three sciences at A-level

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheGameOfScience
ahh i see.. i just dont get how people find science so easy, i mean ok maybe the concepts are easy, but the way they ask you questions and the type of answer they expect is just so hard, they allways ask questions which demand more knowledge than on the spec

They usually aren't conceptually difficult. It's just a case of learning what's on the spec and as Nobel said, ensuring that you answer in the way that's expected.
but why is not hard? surely the workload and level of understanding must be hard as well as all the questions they can ask you, what makes it so easy, i mean it must be harder than a combination like media, sociology and general studies or performing arts or film

I don't think so. Music is probably my toughest subject.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Because everything is simple and makes sense.

Biology is annoying because it's just loads to memorize, idiots can get As though

how is everything simple o_O some topics are hard how was you able to just memorize and understand it. and also even if the concepts are easy the questions are so hard, sometimes they ask questions that are not on the spec or not specific to the spec. and i have to disagree with you slightly on bio, bio does require memorization but it also requires a lot of understanding, the people who get A's are not idiots they are able to apply and use all of their knowledge from different topics.
Original post by Noble.
That's because the secret to doing well at A-Level is to learn what you're supposed to put on the exam, not knowing the subject inside out (for sciences at least).

but how do i go about knowing what to put on the exam? how did you revise effectively? i find it so hard because when i think i know a topic i try to answer the question and the mark scheme is so different in the way they word it and the extra information which we have no knowledge on, this is the case especially on bio.
Reply 43
I did all three. I really loved Biology, it's a lot more detailed compared to GCSE and it took me a couple of months to settle into it but I loved it. Physics turned out to be really nice because whilst chemistry and biology require a lotttt of knowledge and detail, physics is more relaxed. You can just do a couple of past papers and learn the exam technique and you're good to go. Chemistry requires the most work in my opinion.
Original post by keromedic
They usually aren't conceptually difficult. It's just a case of learning what's on the spec and as Nobel said, ensuring that you answer in the way that's expected.

I don't think so. Music is probably my toughest subject.

so would you say that past papers and questions should be the main way i revise, no way loool, music are you serious :O so you dont find bio,chem or physics difficult but music.. :lol:
so would you say that past papers and questions should be the main way i revise, no way loool, music are you serious :O so you dont find bio,chem or physics difficult but music.. :lol:

Are you implying Music Alevel is easy?
Are you implying Music Alevel is easy?

errrrr errrmmmmmm *cough *cough no....... :innocent:

jokes i was just saying compared to the sciences that must be easier, but then again having said this, its subjective people find different things hard and easy i guess..

jokes i was just saying compared to the sciences that must be easier, but then again having said this, its subjective people find different things hard and easy i guess..

Do both and come back in a yr and let me know which you score better in.
Original post by joepepper123
So I'm unsure what to take as A-levels but the subjects I most enjoy and am probably best at are physics, biology and chemistry. The only hesitation I have about taking these to A-level is the work load. How difficult is it taking these 3 to A-level and something like English to AS level?

I would take maths with that. What did you get in your GCSE's?
Do both and come back in a yr and let me know which you score better in.

you see.. i would if i could, but i cant so i wont

Quick Reply

Latest