The Student Room Group

Line of intersection of 2 planes FP3

How did they go from line 7 to 8 (indicated by the blue arrow)?
Reply 1
They've expressed y in terms of x separately and in terms of z separately, Go back to lines 4 and 5 and rearrange to make y the subject :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Dingo749
They've expressed y in terms of x separately and in terms of z separately, Go back to lines 4 and 5 and rearrange to make y the subject :smile:

Wouldn't it have been easier just to make y the subject in lines 4 and 5 instead of making x the subject then later rearranging for y again?

I tried the question but I made y the subject after adding equation 1 and 2. This approach led me to a different answer. Is this wrong or is there more than one answer?

Process seems slightly confusing lol

Thanks
Reply 3
You shouldn't :P

3x - 5y = 7
5y = 3x - 7
y = (3x-7)/5
y = (x-(7/3))/(5/3)

Sorry couldn't be bothered with Latex this morning :')
Original post by Dingo749
You shouldn't :P

Why not?

Original post by GPODT
Wouldn't it have been easier just to make y the subject in lines 4 and 5 instead of making x the subject then later rearranging for y again?

I tried the question but I made y the subject after adding equation 1 and 2. This approach led me to a different answer. Is this wrong or is there more than one answer?

I believe there are more answers than the one the book suggests. For example, you'll get 'different looking equations' when you rearrange to have each variable on it's own, but they are all the same line in R3\mathbb{R}^3.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest