The Student Room Group

Access course (health science) pre reading?

I'm hoping to start an access course in September to eventually apply to study for a pharmacy degree.

September is a long way away, and I wondered if there's any good books I can read to prepare me, or what text books are most commonly used on the course.

I have some self study GCSE guides in chemistry, biology and maths and have studied some biology at level 3.

I really need to do as well as possible, and as I have a full time job as well I want to make the most of the time before September.

Any advice?
Reply 1
For biology and chemistry I'll recommend the cgp revision guides (AS and a2). They are really helpful and my understanding has improved a lot.

You'll enjoy your access course. I love mine :colondollar:

I applied for pharmacy :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks so much!

Good luck with yours, when do you hear?
Reply 3
Original post by Farmerjojo
Thanks so much!

Good luck with yours, when do you hear?

Your welcome !

What do you mean by "when do you hear" ?
Reply 4
Sorry, I wrote a long reply and then lost it so tried to summarise it! I was asking where you'd applied and when you knew where you were going to go. I'm finding all the decisions I need to make quite daunting, so just trying to go one step at a time which is at odds with how I usually work.

I'm hoping to hear from the college about the access course today, I've been studying a distance learning thing at level 3, so if they make me redo the GCSE level over an extra year I'm going to be really annoyed!
Reply 5
Sorry, I wrote a long reply and then lost it so tried to summarise it! I was asking where you'd applied and when you knew where you were going to go. I'm finding all the decisions I need to make quite daunting, so just trying to go one step at a time which is at odds with how I usually work.

I'm hoping to hear from the college about the access course today, I've been studying a distance learning thing at level 3, so if they make me redo the GCSE level over an extra year I'm going to be really annoyed!

Oh okayy. I applied to bradford, dmu, Brighton, hertfordshire and Sunderland. I got offers from Sunderland, hertfordshire and Brighton. I withdrew from the other two unis. I decided to firm Brighton and insure hertfordshire.

You can take on gcse's and the access course at the same time. Its up to you ! Are your gcse's above C grade ? Especially in english and maths. If they are you should be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Yeah they are, but not in the last 5 years. I'm brushing up, I'm hoping they take my word for it that my literacy and numeracy skills are suitable, I've had my writing published in magazines, run my own business and completed my own tax return, and am also willing to work longer to brush up anything extra. I'm not willing to take another year though, I don't have the time or money to drag out my education over too long a period!
Reply 7
Yeah they are, but not in the last 5 years. I'm brushing up, I'm hoping they take my word for it that my literacy and numeracy skills are suitable, I've had my writing published in magazines, run my own business and completed my own tax return, and am also willing to work longer to brush up anything extra. I'm not willing to take another year though, I don't have the time or money to drag out my education over too long a period!

I think you'll be fine. You have a lot of experience which is good.

Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
So many people intend to read textbooks but so many people fail to live up to those intentions.

So I'd suggest finding some popular science books dealing with bio/chem or pharmacy. You can also talk about them on your UCAS statement. I'd recommend books by Lewis Wolpert or Nick Lane as a good place to start. And there is always New Scientist.
Reply 9

September is a long way away, and I wondered if there's any good books I can read to prepare me, or what text books are most commonly used on the course.

I have some self study GCSE guides in chemistry, biology and maths and have studied some biology at level 3.

Any advice?

I probably wouldn't bother buying or reading any books. Unless you know the areas that are definitely going to come up then you could spend a lot of time reading about stuff that you'll never see again. As you've got 6 years of hard studying ahead don't spend your last study free few months learning stuff you might not need.
However, what will come up time and time again over your access course, university degree and eventually pre-reg exam are calculations. If you are really desperate to buy a book and do something then get 'Introduction to Pharmaceutical Calculations' by Judith A Rees. Or have a look through Khan Academy and work your way through some of the biology and healthcare sections.

For some degree courses GCSE equivalents are accepted in place of GCSE which is why there is a GCSE level access course. For pharmacy they don't accept these and as long as you already have them at C's then that's good enough. My GCSEs are ancient and I'd long since lost the certificates but it didn't affect anything.

Original post by Quantex
So many people intend to read textbooks but so many people fail to live up to those intentions.

This! I'm exactly the same.
Original post by jami74

For some degree courses GCSE equivalents are accepted in place of GCSE which is why there is a GCSE level access course. For pharmacy they don't accept these and as long as you already have them at C's then that's good enough. My GCSEs are ancient and I'd long since lost the certificates but it didn't affect anything.

This! I'm exactly the same.

I got CXC which is caribbean examination certificate, it is equivalent to GCSE. I thought they were acceptable for pharmacy along with an access course. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending