The Student Room Group

Have you ever been caught speeding?

Have you ever been caught by the police speeding or ever thought you have been caught.
Reply 1
One time I thought I might have been caught. Was driving along one of those wide 30mph roads where it's so easy to creep up above the limit and spotted one of the revenue vans at the side of the road. Glanced down and the speedo was at 35mph. Braked to 30 and then had a long 3 weeks waiting to see if anything came through. Nothing did, presumably because even at indicated 35 I was only going 32 or at most 33 so below the guideline for prosecution.
Yes in Germany. Paid the 25 euro fine as it was a decriminalised offence.
Nope, not yet :colonhash:
Never, I'm a good girl :u:

Spoiler

Reply 6
When I was living in Singapore used to get caught every other week or so the moment I crossed the border into Malaysia. The worst of the ones was clocked doing 140km/h on a 110km/h. He told me I was doing 140km/h I told him I wasn't :smile: I left 3 pieces of RM50 notes on the dashboard and asked him if it was "sufficient" he took 2 pieces and told me to not speed again. I kept to the speed limit for 20km then gunned that Alfa Romeo to 180km/h, those were the days. Used to do quite a lot of funny things, usually the moment we crossed the border we fueled up at the nearest station then I disconnected the bulbs to the lamp that illuminated the registration plate.

The 3 times in UK I was caught speeding all 3 times I was let off with a warning including one where I had stopped at the motorway services and a patrol car pulled up behind me to tell me they been watching me and the next time they saw me exceeding the speed limit I was getting a ticket.

Never been caught in Norway or Sweden as I generally keep to the rules here as firstly rules are strictly enforced, then fines are extremely high and unlike in UK where the policeman/woman will be rather friendly and pleasant to you and probably give you a window to appeal to his/her better side to let you go this certainly isn't the case here as if you are stopped then you will be given a ticket then told where and how to pay it. It also does get on your immigration record so if you are applying for a residence permit or citizenship having a speeding fine will be grounds to deny you that, don't know if they would go so far as to revoke citizenship or not and don't want to find out.
Reply 7
Original post by Alfissti
When I was living in Singapore used to get caught every other week or so the moment I crossed the border into Malaysia. The worst of the ones was clocked doing 140km/h on a 110km/h. He told me I was doing 140km/h I told him I wasn't :smile: I left 3 pieces of RM50 notes on the dashboard and asked him if it was "sufficient" he took 2 pieces and told me to not speed again. I kept to the speed limit for 20km then gunned that Alfa Romeo to 180km/h, those were the days. Used to do quite a lot of funny things, usually the moment we crossed the border we fueled up at the nearest station then I disconnected the bulbs to the lamp that illuminated the registration plate.

The 3 times in UK I was caught speeding all 3 times I was let off with a warning including one where I had stopped at the motorway services and a patrol car pulled up behind me to tell me they been watching me and the next time they saw me exceeding the speed limit I was getting a ticket.

Never been caught in Norway or Sweden as I generally keep to the rules here as firstly rules are strictly enforced, then fines are extremely high and unlike in UK where the policeman/woman will be rather friendly and pleasant to you and probably give you a window to appeal to his/her better side to let you go this certainly isn't the case here as if you are stopped then you will be given a ticket then told where and how to pay it. It also does get on your immigration record so if you are applying for a residence permit or citizenship having a speeding fine will be grounds to deny you that, don't know if they would go so far as to revoke citizenship or not and don't want to find out.

Don't try that in switzerland

My friend got a 20,000 euro ticket for doing 160km/h ....

Which is average uk speed lol
I havent yet.
But there have been a couple of times when ive thought id been caught. But i obviously hadnt as i never had anything in the post.
Reply 9
Original post by JusDePomme
Don't try that in switzerland

My friend got a 20,000 euro ticket for doing 160km/h ....

Which is average uk speed lol

From Malaysia too, and I unknowingly exceeded the speed limit (100km/h in an 80km/h zone) while chatting with a friend I was driving with. Three days later a summon came in the mail. :frown:

Police here will take 50 bucks for 'coffee money', but in this case, this was a speed camera offense, so there wasn't the chance of any under-table settlement.
Reply 10
got caught doing 77mph in a 55mph zone
Reply 11
I got done by a camera, doing 58 on a 50mph section of empty motorway. That ground my gears that one did. Fortunately I went to the speed awareness course and my license is still as clean as it was 5 years ago :cool:
Reply 12
I got pulled over once, but he let me off because I was white and middle class.
No. Police can't catch me in my German whip.
Original post by Nuffles
I got done by a camera, doing 58 on a 50mph section of empty motorway. That ground my gears that one did. Fortunately I went to the speed awareness course and my license is still as clean as it was 5 years ago :cool:

If you do a speed awareness course does it still show up on your license? I know some insurance companies ask if you have been on one.
Reply 15
Original post by LickingCarpet
If you do a speed awareness course does it still show up on your license? I know some insurance companies ask if you have been on one.

No it doesn't but it shows up on certain databases. The only insurance co. that I know of that asks for it is Admiral, which is a shame as they're generally the cheapest by far for me. I haven't had to renew yet having done the course, but I'm hoping 5+ years of experience and a couple of years NCB will offset the minor increase somewhat. The speed awareness courses aren't really that bad, pretty boring but well worth avoiding the 3 points.

Quick Reply

Latest