The Student Room Group

What happens if you clip a stationary car?

Hi,

The other week, I saw a car bump into another car, whilst reversing out of a parking spot.

Driver just drove off.

I was wondering, do you have to report incidents like these? What happens if you accidentally bump into a car and there is no damage?
Reply 1
Its against the law to drive off from a accident without informing the other person involved. So it can be reported to the police. But most people will drive off if there is no damage at all

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by po10tial
Hi,

The other week, I saw a car bump into another car, whilst reversing out of a parking spot.

Driver just drove off.

I was wondering, do you have to report incidents like these?
A report (to police) will not be necessary providing the driver has stopped and given name and address (of driver and owner) and identifying marks of the vehicle to the other party.

What happens if you accidentally bump into a car and there is no damage?
A wise thing to do would be to stop and inspect the car carefully to be certain there is no damage - even a light scratch. If there is genuinely not a mark, and nobody to claim personal injury, then under section 170(1) of the Road Traffic Act, you are not compelled to stop, exchange details or report.
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi,

Driver just drove off.

I was wondering, do you have to report incidents like these? What happens if you accidentally bump into a car and there is no damage?

If there was no damage at all to the other car- and you are 100% sure that there is definitely no damage then you could go on your way.
But if there was any damage, then you would have to leave a note giving your details etc so they could sort out you paying for the damage- either through your insurance or otherwise.
The norm is to leave a note under the windscreen wipers, apologising and giving your name and contact details.
Original post by Origami Bullets
The norm is to leave a note under the windscreen wipers, apologising and giving your name and contact details.

Make sure you get pics/video of the car and surrounding to prove there were no people in the car.

If you don't I guarantee in 99% of cases there will be a whiplash claim against you.
Reply 6
Hi,

Driver just drove off.

You get out, check for any damage, and if there is, you leave your name and phone number under the wing mirror.
Reply 7
If there is no damage there is no need to do anything - if there is I would always report something like that, and have done in the past.
Reply 8
Original post by redferry
If there is no damage there is no need to do anything - if there is I would always report something like that, and have done in the past.

Hi,

When I checked the bumper there was no damage. When I saw the car clip, it was going at about 5-10 mph tbh. There wasn't much noise.
Reply 9
Nothing. You simply forget and move on with life. (Joking for those with no sense of humour).
Your first thought should be to protect yourself from the insurance fraud which is bound to follow.
Keep on driving hoping no one saw it.
Drive off as fast as possible. srs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending