The Student Room Group

2014 Chinese Grand Prix Discussion Thread

Poll

Who is the driver of the day?

THE RACE IS SKY ONLY THIS WEEK

Everything here is original. Thanks.

So, after one of the best races I've ever seen, two weeks later the teams arrive at the Shanghai International Circuit for the Chinese Grand Prix.

The race was first held ten years, in the same year as Bahrain funnily enough, but the idea of a Chinese GP had been long in the minds of the Chinese government. Since the early 1990's, they had been planning to build a circuit in Zhuhai, located in southern China, and although it was completed and provisionally put onto the F1 calendar in 1999 (like New Jersey nowadays), the FIA deemed that the track failed to match suitable standards.

They did not give up however, and eventually they agreed a contract to host the race at the Shanghai International Circuit in 2004.
The track itself was built by Hermann Tilke and was inspired by the Chinese word "shang" which represents the first part of the name "Shanghai" which means "above" or "ascend". But who will ascend to greatness above the others this weekend? (very cheesy)

The first sector of the circuit is technically very similar to Bahrain and Malaysia (both of which were also designed by Tilke) where the first number of turns are a heavy right hander, then left, right then a straight. Turn one is a long, 270 degree corner which seems to go on forever, and requires a fast entry and good line. The track also features one of the longest straights on the calendar, where this weekend we could possibly see and hear cars hitting the rev limiter in 8th gear.

One part of the circuit that stands out is the pit lane. This pit lane has been infamous for it's awkward route, and has caused problems in the past, including a potential title deciding moment for Lewis Hamilton, as he went too fast into the gravel trap, beaching the car.

Out of this years grid, Hamilton and Alonso have won the race twice, while Button, Rosberg and Vettel have each won the race once.

Last year, we saw a great race. Lewis Hamilton started from pole but within a few laps had been taken by both Ferrari's. In the final five laps, similar to Bahrain, we saw a dramatic race to the finish between Hamilton and Vettel. Vettel had pitted for options, and although 20 seconds back, could now push hard to catch Hamilton who was on the worn slower tyres. The battle came down to the final corner where Hamilton heavily locked up, but managed to keep Vettel behind. securing his podium position.

Fri 18 April 2014

Practice 1 03:00 - 04:30

Practice 2 07:00 - 08:30

Sat 19 April 2014

Practice 3 04:00 - 05:00

Qualifying 07:00

Sun 20 April 2014

Race 08:00

(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Live on Sky only this weekend.

It would be nice if you could include whether it is a BBC live race or not in the OP.
Reply 2
Looking forward to this one. Make it a good one guys.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by dhr90
Live on Sky only this weekend.

It would be nice if you could include whether it is a BBC live race or not in the OP.

Thanks for mentioning this, I will do that from now on!
Reply 4
Will be in Mexico at the weekend, but as it's with a bunch of other F1 people and partners we've already made a date to watch in our hotel room at 2am! Probably won't catch qualifying unless either the jetlag is messing with me or we happen to be getting in at that time!
Reply 5
I expect we'll see the Ferrari powered cars getting mugged on the straights again here by the Mercedes powered cars, odds on for another Mercedes 1-2 reliability permitting. The battle for third could be interesting though.
Reply 6
Original post by Kado
I expect we'll see the Ferrari powered cars getting mugged on the straights again here by the Mercedes powered cars, odds on for another Mercedes 1-2 reliability permitting. The battle for third could be interesting though.

Yep. It'll be interesting once we get to the European circuits with the tight bends and less long straights.
Reply 8

Did he jump or was he pushed? Not exactly his fault that Ferrari have got a terrible engine and therefore aren't getting results. There was some speculation he was going to step down at the end of the season anyway so I guess, given the poor performance, it allows Ferrari to get someone in and start focussing on 2015 already.
Reply 9
I just hope they don't choose Whitmarsh to replace him!
Original post by dhr90

That would be hilarious. I'd rather Domenicali any day.
Reply 11
And now Bob Bell is leaving Merc...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113451

Original post by dhr90

Can't give that kind of position to a non-Italian!
Reply 12
The hearing for the RBR appeal was today apparently. Decision by Tuesday morning at the latest apparently. Mercedes have stood up and said that RBR need further punishment to make them realise they have to follow the rules and not pick and choose which they want to adhere to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hammy goes well round here, should be interesting :tongue:
Reply 14
Original post by Lib

Is Marco Mattiacci Italian enough?

Posted from TSR Mobile
In.

Rosberg win in my opinion this weekend, althoigh I'm hoping Hammy will
Reply 16
Original post by Lib

Wasn't Jean Todt French?
Reply 17
FIA 1, RedBull Racing 0.

RBR lost their appeal

Thing is, when Newey comes out with something like this:

‘"When Mr Lom approached us and said that he felt we were using too much fuel, we disagreed with that.
"No team wants to court controversy and then defend itself, so if you can comply with those wishes even if you don't agree with them, then that's what you do and that's exactly what we did.
"The fact is, it then became evident that if we continued to comply, we would lose positions.”’

...then Red bull’s argument becomes trickier to defend.

Thanks Newey!

Posted from TSR Mobile
the opening ceremony could be a parade of tanks with a guy in a white shirt in front
Red Bull losing their appeal was a foregone conclusion, they never had a leg to stand on with it.

hoping for another Lewis masterclass this weekend, be able to watch it this time as well, back home for it after missing Bahrain whilst camping (plan to watch a full replay at some point to catch up!)

need to do my predictions but may wait till after practice for that.

Quick Reply

Latest