WJEC - Official BY1 Discussion - 21/05/14

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by Natalierm2707
the DNA 4 marker

What was the DNA 4 marker again?
Original post by aw18
What was the DNA 4 marker again?

I think the urine one asked for a method of measuring a specific concentration of a protein in urine (1 mark).

If I remember correctly the DNA one was to describe differences between RNA and DNA? (Correct me if I'm wrong)
Reply 302
Original post by Claros
I think the urine one asked for a method of measuring a specific concentration of a protein in urine (1 mark).

If I remember correctly the DNA one was to describe differences between RNA and DNA? (Correct me if I'm wrong)

Oh okay, thank you! I thought those were easy enough.. (unless I've missed something obvious)
Original post by aw18
Oh okay, thank you! I thought those were easy enough.. (unless I've missed something obvious)

Me too, though it took me a while to remember that a biosensor could be used. After that it felt so obvious. >.<
Reply 304
Original post by Claros
Me too, though it took me a while to remember that a biosensor could be used. After that it felt so obvious. >.<

How are you feeling for BY2?
Original post by aw18
How are you feeling for BY2?

So-so, I'm not feeling fantastic about it but I'm not crying over it either. I just find things on plants challenging to remember mainly but most other things I'm ok with.

My feelings might change after I see the paper though D:

You?
Reply 306
Original post by Claros
So-so, I'm not feeling fantastic about it but I'm not crying over it either. I just find things on plants challenging to remember mainly but most other things I'm ok with.

My feelings might change after I see the paper though D:

You?

I agree. I feel like I vaguely know everything, but I'm aware how specific WJEC can be:wink:
Reply 307
Original post by aw18
What was the urine question?

biosensors, your finding something specific in a mixture.
Is there an unofficial markscheme for this?
Any Unofficial Markscheme?
Original post by jenigma
Have you got the big textbook? The black one? It's awesome. But the student guide is just as good :smile:
I made the mistake of not understanding concepts properly, make sure you do so!! ALWAYS ASK (unlike me) :tongue:
I got a B overall, not sure individually but I always do better in the harder one for some reason, so I'm guessing BY2 was higher! But I want an A* so I'm retaking (:

Oh well done. I think i will be lucky if i barely scrape a b. itvwas so hard this year.
Original post by ScienceGeeko
Oh well done. I think i will be lucky if i barely scrape a b. itvwas so hard this year.

I agree, especially BY2. BY1 was a breeze so they made BY2 so damn hard :'(
Reply 312
Original post by jenigma
I agree, especially BY2. BY1 was a breeze so they made BY2 so damn hard :'(

I found exactly the opposite! Thought by1 was horrendous but was pleased with by2. Haha guess everyone has their strengths and weaknesses!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by crawfy
I found exactly the opposite! Thought by1 was horrendous but was pleased with by2. Haha guess everyone has their strengths and weaknesses!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha guess so!! gotta ace the A2 modules if I want at least the borderline A* haha
Reply 314
So if we get 80% this year, we need like 100% next year to get a A?!?!

wasnt even told AS counted 50% towards A2 till i overheard a teacher.
Reply 315
Original post by Ieda

I think it should be split at least 40% AS 60% A2 personally, from what I've heard from friends A2 is much harder so I don't understand why it's worth the same as this year..? Makes no sense

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ieda

Nope. To get an A*:

You need an 80% AVERAGE ACROSS THE ENTIRE AS AND A2 COURSE. So if you get 80% this year, you need 80% next year to keep your average at 80%. However look at the next point...

You need 90% AVERAGE IN THE A2 MODULES. So next year you need 90%, on average, for A2. That's it.

So in short, 90% or more next year and anything above 70% this year = A*

P.S Technically you can get 60% this year and 100% next year, and you can get an A*. But if you get a C in AS I highly doubt you'll 100% the A2 course, lol.

NOTE: I'm not chief examiner or anything, but unless they've changed things since I last checked, that is how it should be.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by crawfy
I think it should be split at least 40% AS 60% A2 personally, from what I've heard from friends A2 is much harder so I don't understand why it's worth the same as this year..? Makes no sense

Posted from TSR Mobile

No it's a 50/50 split sorry. However if you want an A*, you need 90% in the A2 modules with an 80% overall average across AS and A2. So while the weighting is 50/50, you do need to do very well in A2 to get the A*, while AS matters less so.

See my above comment for more info.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending