The Student Room Group

Non-Traditional Grade Entry/ Liklihood of receiving an offer?

I am asking opinions of what the probability of getting onto Cambridge's English degree course via access to HE (humanities). I've rang the university and they have said its perfectly possible and that they do accept HE grades, but if anybody knows anything else or have even applied/ are applying themselves in this way maybe they can help me out more. Thanks!
Reply 1
I can't advise on the overall likelihood, but just from personal experience - I'm taking an Access to HE (Humanities & Social Sciences) course at the moment and have had an offer from Cam. It's not for English, but is another Humanities subject, so I imagine they'd have similar admissions processes. I've been told that typical offers vary by college, but don't know if this is true ... personally, my conditional is for straight Distinctions. Hope that helps.
Reply 2
Thanks for this! I know that they do accept it as a qualification, but they have said for some subjects that just the Access qualification isn't sufficient enough for some courses, so I was a bit thrown off by that. And yeah I've also been told I have to get all distinctions by the admissions officer. But this has given me hope once again!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by stoppingby
I am asking opinions of what the probability of getting onto Cambridge's English degree course via access to HE (humanities). I've rang the university and they have said its perfectly possible and that they do accept HE grades, but if anybody knows anything else or have even applied/ are applying themselves in this way maybe they can help me out more. Thanks!

I too am on an Access course and hold an offer for PBS thT requires straight distinctions. I think the admissions person you spoke to is referring to the suitability of an Access course for say Natsci or Maths, because the course doesn't cover enough breadth/depth, but I can't see how this wouldn't be relevant for English, unless there are set texts everyone reads at A-Level?

Apparently a third of mature applicants (excuse my assumption) have done an Access course.... I'm not sure where I have this info from, so don't quote me!
Reply 4
I'm 19 and discontinued my A levels for personal health reasons, which is why I'm doing an access course :smile: so I'm not a mature student! And I did say it was for the English course and she said yes It's possible if i earn disctinctions from every subject, but I'm just doubting it terribly
But thanks for your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending