The Student Room Group

gcse or gce

Hey everybody I am an international student. I am thinking of studying either 5 IGCSEs(maths,biology,history,geography,english lang) or 3or 4 a levels(history,geography,eng lang and theology and phil)
which do you think is best?
how long would it take me to study them?
could i manage considering that my english level is C1?
are the practicals necessary?
please help i am desperate

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
GCSEs are the qualifications you do before A Levels
So in the education system, you do your GCSEs in years 10-11 and then your A Levels in years 12-13
They're not the same level of qualification
For example, I have 11 GCSEs (I finished my GCSEs last year) and I am currently studying for 4 A Levels
University offers are made based on A Levels
Original post by BaudelaireLucky
GCSEs are the qualifications you do before A Levels
So in the education system, you do your GCSEs in years 10-11 and then your A Levels in years 12-13
They're not the same level of qualification
For example, I have 11 GCSEs (I finished my GCSEs last year) and I am currently studying for 4 A Levels
University offers are made based on A Levels

Yep - couldn't have put it better :smile:
Well, iGCSEs are a lower level than A Levels. See, iGCSEs are the same as the British GCSE which is level 2 (? Someone correct me on this if I'm wrong) and A level are the level above, which is level 3. It really depends on how old you are and what qualifications you've already got. If you have any GCSEs or equivalent then you should do A levels

They both take 2 years to do. For the sciences the practicals are pretty useful, but not necessary - but you will be asked how to proceed with an experiment and why it works.

Most people take 9 iGCSEs - including Maths, English (lang and lit) and science (BTEC, core, additional or triple science - most IGCSEs are triple science) and 4 options. Most people then go on to do 4 A levels unless they are really clever

Also, I don't know how good your english is, but your grammar, spelling and punctuation is very important. In some exams, such as history, english and geography, up to 10% of the marks go towards those elements.

Hope I helped!
Original post by bubble999
Yep - couldn't have put it better :smile:

I guess I could've condensed my information... Huh. :smile:
It's also important to note that even though admissions are based on A Levels, if you want to go to uni or even get a job in th UK you'll still need a good grade in GCSE Maths. I'm not sure what the protocol is on whether you have to have GCSE English if you have the A Level. Some courses also require you to have science gcses, so check out the webpages for the things you might want to do at uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
So i just can t study a levels without studying gcses?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mr.slowly
So i just can t study a levels without studying gcses?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, because you would need the basic knowledge and skills gained from GCSE to do well in your A Levels, such as English, Geography, the sciences and Maths :smile:
Reply 8
thank you you have been very helpful.
oh and another question, do you think it s possible to study 4 gcse in15 months?
oh and another question, do you think it s possible to study 4 gcse in15 months?

GCSE's usually take 2 years but if you're only doing 4 it should be possible to complete them in a year or less, you'll have to check when you're able to do the exams though (I don't know how IGCSEs work or if you have to do them at a particular time)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
How much would i have to study everyday to cover all the syllabus in that lenght of time?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Another possibility would be to study the essential gcses (maths, English if you don't do it at A Level and possibly sciences) alongside A Levels, so potentially 3 or 4 A Levels + 1 or more GCSEs. It all depends on if you already have the base knowledge as well-how old are you and have you been going to school and in what country? Because with, say, English, you can go straight to the A Level assuming you've already studied it and know how to write well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Sheldor
Another possibility would be to study the essential gcses (maths, English if you don't do it at A Level and possibly sciences) alongside A Levels, so potentially 3 or 4 A Levels + 1 or more GCSEs. It all depends on if you already have the base knowledge as well-how old are you and have you been going to school and in what country? Because with, say, English, you can go straight to the A Level assuming you've already studied it and know how to write well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think that is a really good idea
but as I m still at school I have to think about the time studying all those subjects would take, since i ve got homework to do

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think that is a really good idea
but as I m still at school I have to think about the time studying all those subjects would take, since i ve got homework to do

Posted from TSR Mobile

Out of curiosity, what country/school system do you follow/live in that gives qualifications that aren't accepted by UK unis? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
How old are you? It also depends on that.
Reply 15
Original post by Sheldor
Out of curiosity, what country/school system do you follow/live in that gives qualifications that aren't accepted by UK unis? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I live in Italy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest