The Student Room Group

How to study for French?

I'm really lost on how to study for IGCSE French. I've never actually studied for the subject for the past 2 years, i still have managed to get A's and A*'s. I really NEED to boost that to a solid A*. I've already completed 25% of the course - the oral exam. My teacher said i did better in the real one than i did in my mock - i was 1% off an A* in the mock, so that means i got an A* in the oral.

What i really struggle with is essay writing. Anyone have any tips on how to improve my essay writing skills? Do you know any common phrases that would work in ANY essay? I'm solid on my grammar/verbs so i don't need to work on that. I guess all i need to do is go over vocabulary but reading through lists of vocab really doesn't help me much. :/

Any advice on how to get an A*? Any would be much appreciated! Thanks so much :smile:
Moved to Foreign Languages for you :smile:

My tip to you would be to get your teacher to write you out a list of essay questions and then go through and answer them all :yep: . Practice makes perfect, so the more you write, the more you will remember! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Nirgilis
Moved to Foreign Languages for you :smile:

My tip to you would be to get your teacher to write you out a list of essay questions and then go through and answer them all :yep: . Practice makes perfect, so the more you write, the more you will remember! :smile:

Thanks for the tip
Reply 3
My first tip is to realize that an A is amazing, granted you may do better but all you need to do is be sure that you are achieve the grades required for your college or sixth form or alternative placement. Once you've done that particularly if you're comfortably an A grade (the placement will probably want lower) then relax about it a bit. The A* is great but it isn't the end of the world. Take it from a truly stressy student you will do better if you're less concerned with an A* at this point.

My second tip is more to do with getting an A* it is to teach someone the skills you want to perfect ( or teach your reflection if no one wants help) this really does help in any subject.
Reply 4
My top tips would be to use websites such as quizlet.co.uk in order to boost your vocabulary and if possible to watch French films, read French books and talk to your friend in French. Remember that I'm no expert but this might help you.

En ce qui concerne (Concerning) is one sentence starter that might help in an essay. Tout compte fait (Everything considered) is a good way to finish.

To improve your essays I would agree that practice is important - what I'm actually doing right now for my french A-level!! In all, just do your best and good luck!!
Original post by Bria331
My first tip is to realize that an A is amazing, granted you may do better but all you need to do is be sure that you are achieve the grades required for your college or sixth form or alternative placement. Once you've done that particularly if you're comfortably an A grade (the placement will probably want lower) then relax about it a bit. The A* is great but it isn't the end of the world. Take it from a truly stressy student you will do better if you're less concerned with an A* at this point.

My second tip is more to do with getting an A* it is to teach someone the skills you want to perfect ( or teach your reflection if no one wants help) this really does help in any subject.

Just had to comment to say that you have a great point with the A* vs A argument.
Reply 6
Original post by Bria331

Thanks for the tips. I know an A is great but i really want to maximise the amount of A* i get because i intend on applying to top American universities.

Original post by ElinD
My top tips would be to use websites such as quizlet.co.uk in order to boost your vocabulary and if possible to watch French films, read French books and talk to your friend in French. Remember that I'm no expert but this might help you.

En ce qui concerne (Concerning) is one sentence starter that might help in an essay. Tout compte fait (Everything considered) is a good way to finish.

To improve your essays I would agree that practice is important - what I'm actually doing right now for my french A-level!! In all, just do your best and good luck!!

Thanks so much, really! I've got the part about speaking to my friends in french covered. I'll try out quizlet as well as watching things in french. Good luck to you too!
Original post by pbunny
I'm really lost on how to study for IGCSE French. I've never actually studied for the subject for the past 2 years, i still have managed to get A's and A*'s. I really NEED to boost that to a solid A*. I've already completed 25% of the course - the oral exam. My teacher said i did better in the real one than i did in my mock - i was 1% off an A* in the mock, so that means i got an A* in the oral.

What i really struggle with is essay writing. Anyone have any tips on how to improve my essay writing skills? Do you know any common phrases that would work in ANY essay? I'm solid on my grammar/verbs so i don't need to work on that. I guess all i need to do is go over vocabulary but reading through lists of vocab really doesn't help me much. :/

Any advice on how to get an A*? Any would be much appreciated! Thanks so much :smile:

Duolingo? Seems to go to a quite advanced level. I use it to learn Spanish.
Reply 8
Original post by hellodave5
Duolingo? Seems to go to a quite advanced level. I use it to learn Spanish.

OMG thanks so much for the suggestion. I'm trying it out right now and it's absolutely great! :biggrin:
Original post by pbunny
OMG thanks so much for the suggestion. I'm trying it out right now and it's absolutely great! :biggrin:

I have been using it for about a year now. It's probably one of the best learning tools on the net, and its completely free.
Slowly getting there from starting at the level of absolute beginner.

I think it goes up to the point of scientific writing, at least for Spanish anyway. There's also a thing where you can read and translate different types of articles, both formal (reports) and informal ones (news or excerpts of cultural pieces).

Lots of people to help you with any problems you have too, helpful bunch.
Great team of people that created it too, you often get the creator responding personally to any problems you have.

P.S: you don't have to start from the bottom, there's a skip ahead test for the tree I think.
Reply 10
Original post by pbunny
Thanks so much, really! I've got the part about speaking to my friends in french covered. I'll try out quizlet as well as watching things in french. Good luck to you too!

Thank you! You're welcome! Just try to absorb new vocabulary and don't cram the night before! When I tried that I didn't remember any of the new words I'd learnt because it obviously takes time for your brain to take them in. You'll probably be fine if you've been concentrating in your lessons because you'll have picked things up without even realising! However, what saved me for my exam was a revision vocabulary list from my teacher! If you don't have one maybe you could ask? Sorry if this sounds silly or if it's all a bit obvious, but I hope you do well!
Reply 11
I have been using it for about a year now. It's probably one of the best learning tools on the net, and its completely free.
Slowly getting there from starting at the level of absolute beginner.

I think it goes up to the point of scientific writing, at least for Spanish anyway. There's also a thing where you can read and translate different types of articles, both formal (reports) and informal ones (news or excerpts of cultural pieces).

Lots of people to help you with any problems you have too, helpful bunch.
Great team of people that created it too, you often get the creator responding personally to any problems you have.

P.S: you don't have to start from the bottom, there's a skip ahead test for the tree I think.

Yep, i'm aware i did the test and skipped. I never realised how atrocious my spelling is before that test :/
Original post by pbunny
Yep, i'm aware i did the test and skipped. I never realised how atrocious my spelling is before that test :/

The funny thing is, I can't recall to speak any Spanish. But I can spell it really well (apart from the accent's ^.^). Rather frustrating :P But for writing it does seem really good for that. I feel I need some way to practice talking it as well as.
Reply 13
Original post by ElinD
Thank you! You're welcome! Just try to absorb new vocabulary and don't cram the night before! When I tried that I didn't remember any of the new words I'd learnt because it obviously takes time for your brain to take them in. You'll probably be fine if you've been concentrating in your lessons because you'll have picked things up without even realising! However, what saved me for my exam was a revision vocabulary list from my teacher! If you don't have one maybe you could ask? Sorry if this sounds silly or if it's all a bit obvious, but I hope you do well!

Don't worry, i'm going to start memorising the vocabulary tomorrow - my french exams are on the 9th/12th of may so that should be more than enough time to go over them thoroughly. Your suggestion isn't silly at all, i've found some vocab lists over the internet already so i won't need to ask my teacher anything. And thanks you too.
Reply 14
The funny thing is, I can't recall to speak any Spanish. But I can spell it really well (apart from the accent's ^.^). Rather frustrating :P But for writing it does seem really good for that. I feel I need some way to practice talking it as well as.

What i've found to work for me for improving my oral is to speak with friends/family in the language. Also try to immerse yourself in the language by reading, listening to the radio, and watching movies/shows in the language. I'll be learning spanish next year so i'm so glad you've told me about the site. It'll give me a big head start over my classmates.
Original post by pbunny
What i've found to work for me for improving my oral is to speak with friends/family in the language. Also try to immerse yourself in the language by reading, listening to the radio, and watching movies/shows in the language. I'll be learning spanish next year so i'm so glad you've told me about the site. It'll give me a big head start over my classmates.

Haha, it most certainly will!
None of my friends or family speak Spanish really. But I'm a big film person - I watched lots of Spanish films last year, some really good ones out there.
Guess I will have to pop over to Spain more often :smile:
Feel free to add me on Duo if you like: jkl1992
Gcse french writing coursework help. I need A* phrases that I can use to describe my school. If your french then please share your exalted knowledge si vous plait parce que j'espere avoir A* (not sure me if thats even right!)
Merci.
Reply 17
Haha, it most certainly will!
None of my friends or family speak Spanish really. But I'm a big film person - I watched lots of Spanish films last year, some really good ones out there.
Guess I will have to pop over to Spain more often :smile:
Feel free to add me on Duo if you like: jkl1992

Will do.

Quick Reply