The Student Room Group

How strict are universities when it comes to meeting entry requirements?

I've got an offer to study maths for ABB (with A in maths) at the uni i have firmed.

If I say, got ABC or A*BD (with the C or D in Law) do you think i would get rejected? A lot of people have said to me that universities aren't too fussed as long as you get the main grade (A in maths in this case) but ABB is also quite a good offer so i don't know if i'm likely to get rejected if i miss by one grade.
Reply 1
anyone have any input?
Reply 2
It will depend on the universities you've applied to.
Reply 3
Moved to a more relevant forum.
Depends entirely on the university and how many spaces they have. If they've got plenty of spaces for your course left after results day, there's a good chance they'd accept you anyway if you had a grade lower in one of the unimportant A Levels. But if they're a high ranking university that's a popular choice, they'll probably reject you.
It can also depend on whether you've firmed the uni too, as with spaces, they might be more likely to accept you before others if they still need to fill up.
As other have said it depends a lot on how full the course is and how popular the uni is. If the course is full up with people that did meet the requirements then I'm afraid you're out of luck. If they still have spaces left after everyone who met the requirements, then they still might give you the place, but that would also depend how many others also didn't meet the requirements but still got higher than you (say if you got ABD and someone else got ABC, they'd take the ABC grades over you. Best thing you can do is just work hard so missing your offer becomes less of a risk. Better safe than sorry.
Reply 7
Original post by CallMeBatwoman
As other have said it depends a lot on how full the course is and how popular the uni is. If the course is full up with people that did meet the requirements then I'm afraid you're out of luck. If they still have spaces left after everyone who met the requirements, then they still might give you the place, but that would also depend how many others also didn't meet the requirements but still got higher than you (say if you got ABD and someone else got ABC, they'd take the ABC grades over you. Best thing you can do is just work hard so missing your offer becomes less of a risk. Better safe than sorry.

yeah that makes sense, i'm working really hard so i would hope i make the grades anyway.
I know universities can take "mitigating circumstances" into account so if there was something significant that happened last year that contributed to me having to do a third year and take law over 1 year instead of 2 should i let them know? I'd like to think it would be taken into account but i don't know really
Reply 8
Original post by lmorgan95
yeah that makes sense, i'm working really hard so i would hope i make the grades anyway.
I know universities can take "mitigating circumstances" into account so if there was something significant that happened last year that contributed to me having to do a third year and take law over 1 year instead of 2 should i let them know? I'd like to think it would be taken into account but i don't know really

If you tell them you need to tell them early. If you wait until ypu have missed your offer it will seem like you're making excuses.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If your mitigating circumstances were significant they should already have been mentioned by your referee. Were they?

If mentioned, the university would have taken them into account when making your offer.
I've got an offer to study maths for ABB (with A in maths) at the uni i have firmed.

If I say, got ABC or A*BD (with the C or D in Law) do you think i would get rejected? A lot of people have said to me that universities aren't too fussed as long as you get the main grade (A in maths in this case) but ABB is also quite a good offer so i don't know if i'm likely to get rejected if i miss by one grade.

Will depend on various factors:

- how far off the entry requirements you were.
- how oversubscribed or under the course was for that particular admissions cycle.
- how strong the rest of your application was and whether or not they are very keen to have you on the programme.
- whether you missed the grade in a subject that would not be considered vital to the course. However if it is a particularly academic programme you are applying for then they may want a demonstration that you are capable of reaching the threshold across a variety of subjects and examinations.

Strictly speaking if you do not meet the terms of your offer the university is under no obligation to accept you so the best way to make sure that the university will accept is to study hard and get the grades.
Reply 11
it really depends on the university and the course. I originally missed my offer by one mark and they still didn't let me in (Until I got it re-marked). The subject I didn't get the grade in also wasn't the subject I was studying. But I also know of many people who got in and missed their offer:/ so you never know
Reply 12
Original post by Gridiron-Gangster
Will depend on various factors:

- how far off the entry requirements you were.
- how oversubscribed or under the course was for that particular admissions cycle.
- how strong the rest of your application was and whether or not they are very keen to have you on the programme.
- whether you missed the grade in a subject that would not be considered vital to the course. However if it is a particularly academic programme you are applying for then they may want a demonstration that you are capable of reaching the threshold across a variety of subjects and examinations.

Strictly speaking if you do not meet the terms of your offer the university is under no obligation to accept you so the best way to make sure that the university will accept is to study hard and get the grades.

Do you know if it makes a difference if you firm the university?
I've only applied to this one and one other and i've put it as my firm offer. I'd like to think that if i did miss my law grade by one they would still accept me if i got the A in maths :/ especially since my target for maths was a B so i would already be working above it in the subject i'd be studying
Reply 13
Do you know if it makes a difference if you firm the university?
I've only applied to this one and one other and i've put it as my firm offer. I'd like to think that if i did miss my law grade by one they would still accept me if i got the A in maths :/ especially since my target for maths was a B so i would already be working above it in the subject i'd be studying

No, being firm won't make a difference

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending