The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Surrey Accommodation 2014/15

Scroll to see replies

Can I apply for accommodation if I put surrey as my insurance ??
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Reply 21
Original post by Callmejosie
Can I apply for accommodation if I put surrey as my insurance ??

You can apply for accommodation only if you firm Surrey.
Original post by Natasha A*
Hey Everyone :hello:

My name is Natasha and I applied for D,C,B,E,A,F. I am studying Midwifery September 2014 and am hoping to further my education and do Medicine afterwards to become an obstetrician (doctor for pregnant women). I am so excited :beer:. I had a difficult time deciding between C and D and went back and forth at least 20 times but as I am going to be on placement at hospitals I wanted to ensure that I made the right decision by not waking people up after I come back from shifts at 5am in the morning :colondollar: so finally chose D!!! :bigsmile:

I am so excited for freshers and its fine I'll still meet all you people no matter where I live :excited:

See you in September where the majority of us are going to be drunk for the first two weeks of FRESHERS!!!! xxx

I am also going to be studying midwifery and have put band d as my first choice much for the same reasons as you because of the nature of the course. im very excited! cant wait to meet the rest of my class :smile: x
Hi I'm just about to apply for accommodation but can't decide between c/d as I haven't actually looked at accommodation in person? Has anyone else? What did you think? I don't fully like the idea of band d due to the possibility of being off campus but then I'm worried about sharing a bathroom! Could anyone please help? Do you really think sharing bathrooms would be that bad?
Reply 24
Stag TV has many videos showing you around all the bands of accommodation available! Take a look here.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by crystal_soper
Hi I'm just about to apply for accommodation but can't decide between c/d as I haven't actually looked at accommodation in person? Has anyone else? What did you think? I don't fully like the idea of band d due to the possibility of being off campus but then I'm worried about sharing a bathroom! Could anyone please help? Do you really think sharing bathrooms would be that bad?

It's down to personal preference. Band D rooms are either on campus, or at Manor Park, which is only a 10 minute walk to uni, 5 mins on the bus, which has regular services. Being there is quite good, you'll be with lots of other students and you won't have a disadvantage over students on campus. (Rooms at Manor park are also larger than any on-campus rooms)

If you'd rather have some more privacy and don't mind the slighter higher price, go for Band D. Its very convenient having your own shower/toilet/sink all to yourself in your room. However if money is tight for you then Band C is also a good choice. You have to share facilities, but there's almost always a free shower/toilet, so waiting for your turn is very rare. However, these can get quite dirty at times.

Personally I went for Band D
I put Surrey as my firm choice ages ago but I never got any emails or anything about applying for accommodation so I assumed that didn't happen until results day when I find out if I can go there. Am I wrong? If so, how am I meant to apply?
They didn't let me know anything either but because I'm the kind of person who wants to get everything that I need to get done as soon as possible I went onto the Surrey accommodation pages and managed to find the application bit and put my preferences
http://www.surrey.ac.uk/accommodation/applicants/students/ just follow the link for new students :smile: hope this helps
Original post by louisechurch
http://www.surrey.ac.uk/accommodation/applicants/students/ just follow the link for new students :smile: hope this helps

Wow thanks for the quick reply. I'm doing my application now!
Reply 30
Hey I'm a little confused here ... Do you pay per month or per week ??
On my Surrey open day accommodation booklet it says "For most first year undergraduate students, rent is payable for 38 weeks. The annual cost for 2013-2014 ranges from £2490 for a basic or shared room to £4652 for an en suite room. Rent can be payed monthly or termly with prior agreement."

Whether that means it is paid monthly normally and you get prior agreement for termly or whether both termly and monthly are by prior agreement I do not know.
Original post by (oxy)moron
On my Surrey open day accommodation booklet it says "For most first year undergraduate students, rent is payable for 38 weeks. The annual cost for 2013-2014 ranges from £2490 for a basic or shared room to £4652 for an en suite room. Rent can be payed monthly or termly with prior agreement."

Whether that means it is paid monthly normally and you get prior agreement for termly or whether both termly and monthly are by prior agreement I do not know.

Is one specifically better for you than the other?

The way I read that was that the standard method is monthly, but termly can be arranged if necessary. For most people it won't make any difference how you pay it though, as the overall cost is the same regardless.

For reference, I'm currently billed quarterly for my room in halls, however in previous years it was done monthly.
Can anyone share their experience of living in a Band A shared room?
To be honest the prospect of sharing doesn't bother me that much. The kitchen/bathroom/toilet ratio for the duplex flats actually looks much better than some of the band B and C rooms. Besides, my course is 30+ hours a week. I just want my room for sleeping!

I'm a postgraduate student so I'm footing the bill for accommodation with my own savings. Cheaper the better, but it's got to be on campus. I've got Band A (shared) as my first preference and Band B (Guildford Court) as my second. Considering seeing if I can switch preferences so I have my own private space, though that'll be an extra £900 for the year. As I don't plan to be in the room much anyway not sure if I want to waste the money. I'm much more of a communal hanger-outer anyway.

Yeah so, BAND A (SHARED) people get in touch!
Though anyone else feel free to lend their two cents.
Reply 34
Hi guys,

I am planning to apply with my girlfriend for a 1 bedroom flat + study room. I have emailed the uni asking bout any pictures or floor plan but unfortunately they do not posses any of them. Any of you have such thing? Any comments/opinions about them?

Thanks a lot!
Reply 35
Original post by Teatania
Can anyone share their experience of living in a Band A shared room?
To be honest the prospect of sharing doesn't bother me that much. The kitchen/bathroom/toilet ratio for the duplex flats actually looks much better than some of the band B and C rooms. Besides, my course is 30+ hours a week. I just want my room for sleeping!

I'm a postgraduate student so I'm footing the bill for accommodation with my own savings. Cheaper the better, but it's got to be on campus. I've got Band A (shared) as my first preference and Band B (Guildford Court) as my second. Considering seeing if I can switch preferences so I have my own private space, though that'll be an extra £900 for the year. As I don't plan to be in the room much anyway not sure if I want to waste the money. I'm much more of a communal hanger-outer anyway.

Yeah so, BAND A (SHARED) people get in touch!
Though anyone else feel free to lend their two cents.

Hello,

I'm an international postgraduate student. I'll be studying Microwave Engineering and Wireless Subsystem Design in the department of Electronic Engineering at Surrey. I applied for Band A (Shared) as top priority as well. I won't be switching at all. I have same concerns like you:
1) need to stay on campus
2) have to stay in labs for long to work
3) won't be in room for long
4) have to save up money and invest that amount elsewhere

Please do get in touch with me.
My contact information and other details are available at rumaisahm.webs.com

Regards!
Original post by Rumi91
Hello,

I'm an international postgraduate student. I'll be studying Microwave Engineering and Wireless Subsystem Design in the department of Electronic Engineering at Surrey. I applied for Band A (Shared) as top priority as well. I won't be switching at all. I have same concerns like you:
1) need to stay on campus
2) have to stay in labs for long to work
3) won't be in room for long
4) have to save up money and invest that amount elsewhere

Please do get in touch with me.
My contact information and other details are available at rumaisahm.webs.com

Regards!

Nice to hear from you, and good to know there are others in a similar situation to myself. Who knows, maybe we'll end up sharing?

Does anyone know how rooms/flats are allocated? Are you likely to be grouped together by your level or subject area? Or is it just a big mix? It's not a huge concern but given the chance I'd rather not be on the same floor as a bunch of first year freshers. Especially as Stag Hill seems to be the most common accommodation for first years. I'm sure you're all lovely, but been there, done that etc...
Original post by Teatania
Nice to hear from you, and good to know there are others in a similar situation to myself. Who knows, maybe we'll end up sharing?

Does anyone know how rooms/flats are allocated? Are you likely to be grouped together by your level or subject area? Or is it just a big mix? It's not a huge concern but given the chance I'd rather not be on the same floor as a bunch of first year freshers. Especially as Stag Hill seems to be the most common accommodation for first years. I'm sure you're all lovely, but been there, done that etc...

No need to worry, postgrads and undergrads are put in separate flats. Worst case scenario you might be next to a flat of undergrads, but you won't be actually in the same flat or on the same floor as them.

As for how they're allocated, I think it's just random, there doesn't seem to be any logic to it at least.
Reply 38
Hi,

perhaps a bit earlier to be wondering because i'll be applying for 2015 entry, but, at Surrey are halls allocated so that all students on your floor/ nearby rooms doing the same course as you?
Only wondering because this has been the case at some other universities and I don't really want that! I want to get to know loads of different types of people not just maths students, because i'm by no means the stereotypical maths geek!
Original post by clara16
Hi,

perhaps a bit earlier to be wondering because i'll be applying for 2015 entry, but, at Surrey are halls allocated so that all students on your floor/ nearby rooms doing the same course as you?
Only wondering because this has been the case at some other universities and I don't really want that! I want to get to know loads of different types of people not just maths students, because i'm by no means the stereotypical maths geek!

As far as I know, it's just random. For the years that I was in halls there was a wide range of different courses, so it doesn't seem like there's any preference given to having people of the same course together.

Personally, I'd say that's a good thing! It's a way to meet a larger amount of new people, and form more friendships. Plus, it also gives you a chance to get away from spending all day every day with the same group of people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending