The Student Room Group

Warwick vs Bocconi for Economics

Hi guys , just wanted to ask you your two cents about my situation.
I am an 18 yrs old Italian student (South Italy) , and I applied to a few university for my undergraduate. I have a 1810 on SAT test (I don't know if you are familiar with that) so just got into some semi-target colleges and low rank ones (with full tuition scolarship) in the US, the former not being worth the money (+40k for a non top program is ridicolous in my opinion) And the latter not worth the effort (I received offer for scholarship from University of South Florida or Hosfra university, so figure out the level).
Fortunately I applied to some unis in Europe and got in at Warwick (L100 Economics) and Bocconi (Bachelor in Economics and management taught in English). So my question is : In your opinion which of the two should I Pick?
Bocconi is unconditional , while Warwick asks me +95 at my final exam, but in Italy your final exam grade depends 90% on what you have done in the previous years, so it is an easily reachable task.

These are my thoughts
Bocconi :
Pros
1)It's an hour with plane from home, 5 hours by train
2)I know a few of my future classmates
3)It's home in a certain way, I have friends there, it's my country after all, so same language, same food , almost same habits, while I could benefit of a course taught in English and an international environment (50% Italians , 50% foreigners)

Cons
1) Living it hell expensive
2) Maybe worse academics than a British uni?
3) No loans, you have to pay the tuition (in my case 10000€ per year or so) every year
4) impossible to finds a job straight after the bachelor, doing a master after a degree here it's NECESSARY to find a good job

Warwick
Pros
1) I have heard Guardian ranked it 1st economics degree in the uk
2) Living abroad it's intriguing
3) Better job prospects after undergraduate
4) Better campus experience
5) Student loan

Cons
1) Where the f**k is Coventry? Just know it for the football team
2) Far Far Far from home
3) Living abroad it's also scaring

In the future I would like to be the export manager of some company or do a Phd in economics in a US top uni and become a professor.
So yes I don't know if I want to be a manager or an economist, so if you could help me figure out my options it would be great

Thank you very much for the help, the forum is great!
Reply 1
Original post by Richard III
Hi guys , just wanted to ask you your two cents about my situation.
I am an 18 yrs old Italian student (South Italy) , and I applied to a few university for my undergraduate. I have a 1810 on SAT test (I don't know if you are familiar with that) so just got into some semi-target colleges and low rank ones (with full tuition scolarship) in the US, the former not being worth the money (+40k for a non top program is ridicolous in my opinion) And the latter not worth the effort (I received offer for scholarship from University of South Florida or Hosfra university, so figure out the level).
Fortunately I applied to some unis in Europe and got in at Warwick (L100 Economics) and Bocconi (Bachelor in Economics and management taught in English). So my question is : In your opinion which of the two should I Pick?
Bocconi is unconditional , while Warwick asks me +95 at my final exam, but in Italy your final exam grade depends 90% on what you have done in the previous years, so it is an easily reachable task.

These are my thoughts
Bocconi :
Pros
1)It's an hour with plane from home, 5 hours by train
2)I know a few of my future classmates
3)It's home in a certain way, I have friends there, it's my country after all, so same language, same food , almost same habits, while I could benefit of a course taught in English and an international environment (50% Italians , 50% foreigners)

Cons
1) Living it hell expensive
2) Maybe worse academics than a British uni?
3) No loans, you have to pay the tuition (in my case 10000€ per year or so) every year
4) impossible to finds a job straight after the bachelor, doing a master after a degree here it's NECESSARY to find a good job

Warwick
Pros
1) I have heard Guardian ranked it 1st economics degree in the uk
2) Living abroad it's intriguing
3) Better job prospects after undergraduate
4) Better campus experience
5) Student loan

Cons
1) Where the f**k is Coventry? Just know it for the football team
2) Far Far Far from home
3) Living abroad it's also scaring

In the future I would like to be the export manager of some company or do a Phd in economics in a US top uni and become a professor.
So yes I don't know if I want to be a manager or an economist, so if you could help me figure out my options it would be great

Thank you very much for the help, the forum is great!

Which US semi-targets did you get into? I would go to Warwick as it is better recognized internationally for its undergrad economics. Bocconi is great, yes, but for their MSc/MBA. While Warwick is top 5 in the UK for economics, straight after Oxbridge/LSE, and on par with UCL. Also, the program at Bocconi isn't straight economics but more of a BBA, so I doubt it will prepare you for a good PhD program, unlike Warwick.
Reply 2
University of Washington in st. Louis Olin business school, the program is Business administration.
Don't know if it is a semi-target in reality I Just knew it was good, but no way I am moving to US for a program like that and I am non willing to spend that much money on a second tier program.
This said thank you for the reply
Reply 3
Warwick economics would open more doors for you than Bocconi as it has a solid ties with large firms and banks in London. Studying abroad would also be interesting, and would make you learn to be highly independent.
They are both excellent universities. I think one factor you should consider is what you want to do afterwards and where you would like to be. If you are planning to stay in Italy (or anyways it is a possibility you like) then Bocconi might be better, as I guess it is much more known by Italian employers. Instead, if you like the idea of working in the UK, I would pick Warwick, as it is a great uni for economics and has excellent ties with top firms.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
WARWICK > BOCCONI for ECONOMICS
Reply 6
If you want to do a PhD, I'd opt for Bocconi. Otherwise, probably Warwick.
Reply 7
They're at the same level, as far as I see it. It's not LSE or Oxbridge vs Bocconi, it's Warwick vs Bocconi. Its reputation and preparation is as good as the one from Bocconi.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending