The Student Room Group

is investment banking elitist?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by uxa595
It's called networking :smile:

I think it depends on the division. Trading floor is hardcore asian.

its called closed shop/glass ceiling
Original post by James222
its called closed shop/glass ceiling

Nothing stopping you creating your own network from scratch...You just need to go out there and find people, easier today than it ever has been.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Original post by will2348
Nothing stopping you creating your own network from scratch...You just need to go out there and find people, easier today than it ever has been.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This.

I had 0 banking connections before entering uni. You need to improve your knowledge and start networking.
The only thing banks are discriminatory against are grades and your uni. If you're smart, go to a target, are sociable and network well, there is nothing stopping you.
Just don't be bitter if you don't make the effort.
Original post by will2348

Posted from TSR Mobile

rubbish, social mobility it has historic lows
Its doable but IB is still elitist, and drop the condescending tone
Original post by James222
rubbish, social mobility it has historic lows
Its doable but IB is still elitist, and drop the condescending tone

Social mobility is at historic lows...

At a drop of a hat, I can Google a ton of programmes investment banks run to encourage social mobility, namely but not limited to SEO and The City Brokerage. There are tons of these organisations banks are involved with. Some even give out scholarships to top performing students from poor backgrounds (Deutsche Bank & Credit Suisse).

With the greatest of respect, it's a very out-dated view, IB is the most accessible it's ever been.

Clearly, it's actually got harder to break into because of increased competition due to it being more accessible but the opportunity is still there.

Goldman Sachs while involved with SEO even actively recruits people who don't have a 'sense of entitlement'. Their current CEO came from a very humble background.

More can be done obviously, but it's definitely going in the right direction.

I'm not using any tone, I'm just saying it as it is. IB may be perceived this way, but as always, there is a difference between perception and reality.

Perhaps social mobility has fallen in other areas/industries but it certainly is improving in this one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending