The Student Room Group

Why don't the different races do equally well at marathon running?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by ridwan12
Are you denying that there is no discrimination on ethnic people and females dont face diacrimination in the work place or parliment ect

:facepalm2:

No. I am saying that it makes no sense for people to be racist, because being from a race you judge to be superior does not actually mean that you as an individual are superior. You are most probably totally ordinary.
Original post by Axiomasher
But being born at altitude to possibly hundreds (maybe thousands) of generations of people who were also born at altitude and then growing up at altitude on top of that might easily mean some genetic component combined with a developmental one which makes for east African elite athletes being so consistently at the top (pardon the pun). You could be right, altitude genes could be secondary to muscle-fibre genes and maybe other things, but it's not an unreasonable part-explanation.

I agree. However you can reduce the advantage of being born in high altitude with altitude training. But you cant reduce advantages from genetics.
They're just better.....and they have harsher conditions in Africa(very hot, high altitude) so training makes them better perhaps

Have no idea tbh but putting a quota isn't fair, don't fix athletics for the sake of race
Original post by llys
:facepalm2:

No. I am saying that it makes no sense for people to be racist, because being from a race you judge to be superior does not actually mean that you as an individual are superior. You are most probably totally ordinary.

Ohh i read thst in the wrong context lol yh i agree.
Original post by FriendlyLiberal
The pursuit of equality is the highest virtue, yet black people consistently dominate at the top of marathon running. All races are equal, so this is evidence of systematic racism, just like the racism which leads to whites dominating economically.

How can we stop the structural discrimination and social construct that leads to blacks dominating marathons? How can we have fairer representation across the races and reduce inequality?

Some countries have introduced quotas and affirmative action for boardrooms and politics to give women the help they need to reach the top. We tax the rich more to distribute wealth more evenly. The National Union of Students has recently introduced gender quotas to shoehorn more women into the NUS.

Could we introduce something similar to ensure fairer representation of whites and asians in marathons?

Perhaps we could require 40% of the top 10 finishers to be non-black? If blacks were going to come 7-10th they would need to stop and wait for some whites or asians to go past. Because, equality.

Or perhaps we could give non-blacks a head start, like they do for women in the LA Marathon?

What are your ideas for making marathon running more equal and fair? Or are you a racist that thinks different races have different ability levels? :angry:

Maybe the problem is looking at it in terms of race

It's not "Black people are better marathon runners" because most of the winners are specifically from East Africa, so you have to ask why you are group East Africans along with lots of unrelated people, under the term "Black"

what I'm saying (if you don't understand) is that there is no such thing as race, scientifically :wink:
Marathons are measuring the speed at which you can run a race. If they were a) a measure of your running technique over the 26 miles, and 26 miles was the average distance needed to prove your technique, b) compulsory and c) being non-black meant that no matter how hard you trained, you wouldn't be able to run the 26 miles with good technique, I think it'd be reasonable and fair to let them run a shorter distance.
I agree. However you can reduce the advantage of being born in high altitude with altitude training. But you cant reduce advantages from genetics.

But who is to say that east African advantages in relation to altitude are not genetic in some part?

Sure, non-east African athletes can altitude train, and I believe many of them do, yet they still struggle to compete with the very best of the native east-Africans which strongly suggests there is an upper limit to how close altitude training can get you to native-altitude potentials.
Original post by majmuh24
It's scientifically shown that it's because the successful runners often train at high altitudes where there is less oxygen in the air (which increases their stamina) so when they come to oxygen rich environments, they can often work much harder than the people who are used to training in that environment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you never heard about altitude training .... Its due to proportion of fast twitch to slow twitch muscle fibres that gives them the advantage.
Original post by redferry
If were going to be honest here the reason a lot of black people from the USA/UK/carribean are so good at running is because tphistorically slave owners selected for the best genes and so 'bred' that into them.

Not really a price most people would think was worth paying...

Somalis and East Africans in general were never enslaved and they're still better at long distance than you lot. I smell bull****.
Its all to do with fast twitch / slow twitch muscle fibres. East africans notably somali, kenyan, ethiopian and ugandans have a larger percentage of slow twitch compared to fast twitch. Like west african and carribeans have more fast twitch e.g. Usain bolt. The white race has in past been economically better as they enslaved people from romans right upto the slave trade. Nothing to do with genetics e.g. Slavers said that they had larger brains which is false. Whites are better at some sports than other races and other races are better than others. However in my opinion it is only seen at elite levels . BTW how is it racist that people take advantage of the genes given to them. Is it sexist that mo farah is beter than paula radcliffe at running. Your logic does not work troll.

Your logic regarding economic affluence as coming out of slavery, is absurd. People do well economically when they adopt the principles of a free economy and a free society. Not when they enslave people. The Southern states of the US were not rich because of slavery (were they any richer than the North, with no slaves?). Saudi Arabia only outlawed slavery about half a century ago, and yet all its wealth comes out of oil - per capita it is not a particularly wealthy country. In fact, slavery has existed since the dawn of humanity; it has no correlation with an increase in wealth. The rich west outlawed slavery two centuries ago, and since then it's been steaming ahead in terms of per-capita productivity. And do you think that the recent success of East Asia, economically, has been based on slavery? In China's case, maybe. But not in Japan's, or Singapore's, or Hong Kong's case. Slavery has nothing positive to add to the economic well-being of anybody apart from a few wealthy, criminal slave-owners and traders.
Original post by Axiomasher
But who is to say that east African advantages in relation to altitude are not genetic in some part?

Sure, non-east African athletes can altitude train, and I believe many of them do, yet they still struggle to compete with the very best of the native east-Africans which strongly suggests there is an upper limit to how close altitude training can get you to native-altitude potentials.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/body/factfiles/fastandslowtwitch/soleus.shtml

They dominate because they have more slow twitch fibres.
Original post by Chihiro95
Somalis and East Africans in general were never enslaved and they're still better at long distance than you lot. I smell bull****.

Well that is because they are genetically adapted for that due to the conditions in that part of the world love.
Original post by matthewduncan
yes genetics does play a role but its got **** all to do with slavery and "breeding" it is more to do with hard work and dedication .

You do realise hard work and dedication can't change your genes so genetics has absolutely nothing to do with hard work and dedication?
At slave auctions they checked number if teeth and muscle mass. To get a super fast human you would need to have the fastest male and FEMALE over many generations. West africans who werent slaves are as fast as carribean and american runners

Are they though?? The vast majority of runners forever in the sprint have been descendants of slaves.
Original post by felamaslen
Your logic regarding economic affluence as coming out of slavery, is absurd. People do well economically when they adopt the principles of a free economy and a free society. Not when they enslave people. The Southern states of the US were not rich because of slavery (were they any richer than the North, with no slaves?). Saudi Arabia only outlawed slavery about half a century ago, and yet all its wealth comes out of oil - per capita it is not a particularly wealthy country. In fact, slavery has existed since the dawn of humanity; it has no correlation with an increase in wealth. The rich west outlawed slavery two centuries ago, and since then it's been steaming ahead in terms of per-capita productivity. And do you think that the recent success of East Asia, economically, has been based on slavery? In China's case, maybe. But not in Japan's, or Singapore's, or Hong Kong's case. Slavery has nothing positive to add to the economic well-being of anybody apart from a few wealthy, criminal slave-owners and traders.

Slavery and colonisation has given western countries a huge advantage in terms of wealth which thry invested in their own economies causing them to be develop. Saudi arabia has a rich and poor population therefore it is an ledc. Slavery coupled with colonisation. has given them a huge advantage
Are they though?? The vast majority of runners forever in the sprint have been descendants of slaves.

Omg you are the most racist an.d ignorant person i've seen

Can you please point out why this makes me racist? Michael Jordan himself was the one who got everyone talking about this theory again.

You can't just cover up slavery, it is a major part of human history. Having an open dialogue about it is in no way racist.
(edited 9 years ago)
Well that is because they are genetically adapted for that due to the conditions in that part of the world love.

Omg you never stop providing us with your ignoranve. Mo farah was raised in the UK.... I smell bull****.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/body/factfiles/fastandslowtwitch/soleus.shtml

read and come back with an education.

How is stating a fact racist???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Omg you never stop providing us with your ignoranve. Mo farah was raised in the UK.... I smell bull****.

read and come back with an education.

What part of 'genetically adapted' do you not understand?

:lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest