The Student Room Group

Am I the only one who can't find a job?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wiseLAD
Ohhh I thought at least the template would make it half decent though :erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dude, you can use a brilliant template all you like but if you've got no experience and transferable skills it's still ****.
Original post by wiseLAD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well it would depend on which one you're using. I was using a random template that I thought was quite good, and then my university's career service provided a different one and I realised how crap my previous one had been. I believe there is a CV advice thread/subforum on TSR, it might help you to go there and see if you can get any help.
Same with covering letters, make sure that is as good as you can get it, for each application, and if you're doing online applications then make sure your answers are as good, yet also realistic, as you can get them.
OP: I wouldn't take it to heart, there's a massive lack of jobs at the moment

Original post by quamquam
'Racism'- really ?

Come on, there have been like a million studies to show that you're less likely to get a job if you have a foreign sounding name.

Original post by quamquam
Please don't use the race card.
Please never say 'race card' again
Reply 23
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Dude, you can use a brilliant template all you like but if you've got no experience and transferable skills it's still ****.

That's my point! If I can't get a job in the first place how am I meant to get any experience?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by Liquid Swordsman

Come on, there have been like a million studies to show that you're less likely to get a job if you have a foreign sounding name.

Call it whatever you want but why single it out ?

If you go london , which OP is , you rarely see a white UK person working
Reply 25
Original post by sliceofcake
Well it would depend on which one you're using. I was using a random template that I thought was quite good, and then my university's career service provided a different one and I realised how crap my previous one had been. I believe there is a CV advice thread/subforum on TSR, it might help you to go there and see if you can get any help.
Same with covering letters, make sure that is as good as you can get it, for each application, and if you're doing online applications then make sure your answers are as good, yet also realistic, as you can get them.

Thanks I'll investigate that :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by wiseLAD
Thanks and will do :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you find the articles then could you link them here? I want to read if they say anything about Asians.
Original post by wiseLAD
That's my point! If I can't get a job in the first place how am I meant to get any experience?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you tried volunteering?

It is **** that you need to have had a job to get a job but with hundreds of applications for every vacancy they know they can get someone who's already trained to do it, so why train someone new?
It's definitely not racism I am 19 Asian and i have had 4 jobs,maybe your cv isn't up to standard or your interview technique is wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
It depends what you are applying to do. I finished college last July and had a job by September when my CRB came through as a support worker for adults with mental disability. The job is pretty easy once you get used to the challenging behaviour. You help wash, dress, cook and take the service users designated to you out on excursions to cinema, parks, bowling alley. My point is just don't look at retail. It's not as funny and probs more tiring.

Edit: I realise this post might not apply to you WiseLad since you are not 18 yet. From my brother's experience, i know trying to get a job at 16 is pretty tough but keep trying. Maybe try your family contacts...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 30

Thanks man I'll keep trying :ditto:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
I'm a white male with a pretty strong cv of recent job experience and can't for the life of me get a job either :grumble:
Reply 32
Original post by Confusedlegend
It's definitely not racism I am 19 Asian and i have had 4 jobs,maybe your cv isn't up to standard or your interview technique is wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be honest, I don't have much to put on my CV at the moment and I'm not even reaching the interview stage yet

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
it's very simple

every job has 20-200 people apply

its just numbers
Reply 34
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Have you tried volunteering?

It is **** that you need to have had a job to get a job but with hundreds of applications for every vacancy they know they can get someone who's already trained to do it, so why train someone new?

So they want me to go through a year of unpaid work just to stand a chance at a crappy minimum wage job? :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
I'm graduating soon, and I cannot find any jobs. My CV is good! Uni careers services and professional HR people checked it 3 times. I have some work experiences , charity work, 2 European languages (fluent) and 2-1 degree (hopefully)!
Original post by wiseLAD
So they want me to go through a year of unpaid work just to stand a chance at a crappy minimum wage job? :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is why I started volunteering when I was 14.
Reply 37
You are not alone, and the fact that I am too. Still seeking for work placement and part time jobs (just in case) and none of the jobs really interest me in particular. I have applied in many places previously last month but havent heard anything since the interview. And I'm 21, an international student and an asian. I once had a few assumptions that probably UK or EU does not want to accept other races except themselves. However, I do really want to work here for gaining a lot of experience and improving my english skills, not only in daily conversation but also in daily job workplace. I really hope that one day I could find one before and after I graduate. :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by wiseLAD

I'm surprised a nice, generic, CV template didn't make yours stand out from the pile of CVs that employers have to sieve through!
Reply 39

That might be true but having the mindset that the job market is racist and everyone's out to get you definitely won't help you in actually getting a job.

Man up bre

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending