The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Visiting Edinburgh, what must I see and do?

Hi,

So the coming days I'll be in Edinburgh :biggrin:. I received an offer for bio sciences and want to make sure that the city is right for me. I come from Amsterdam and have no idea yet what I'll be doing. I only know that one day will be spent at the open day.

Have you studied or are you studying in Edinburgh? Where would you recommend me to go to? What must I see or do? I mostly just want to get a feeling of what the city is like (so I'll be walking around a lot) and get a rough idea of what night life and student life in Edinburgh is like. My other main option is London, so I'll be looking for pros and cons of Edinburgh so that I can make a good comparison :smile:.

Thanks in advance!
The main things people usually go to see are Edinburgh castle, Edinburgh dungeons (personally think it's rubbish), things like the vaults and Mary's king closer, Edinburgh zoo and there's loads more but my brains sleepy atm! It's good for walking around, well I think it is anyway. Nightlife is good too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by Ezra Herman
Hi,

So the coming days I'll be in Edinburgh :biggrin:. I received an offer for bio sciences and want to make sure that the city is right for me. I come from Amsterdam and have no idea yet what I'll be doing. I only know that one day will be spent at the open day.

Have you studied or are you studying in Edinburgh? Where would you recommend me to go to? What must I see or do? I mostly just want to get a feeling of what the city is like (so I'll be walking around a lot) and get a rough idea of what night life and student life in Edinburgh is like. My other main option is London, so I'll be looking for pros and cons of Edinburgh so that I can make a good comparison :smile:.

Thanks in advance!

Some people will also visit Old College, Edinburgh, its the home of the law school and its a really beautiful building. Others will go to the museums but they are not as big as those in London
Reply 3
Hi,

Thanks in advance!

There is so much to do in Edinburgh. It is not too large, but it has a lot of culture in it!
I would suggest going to Princes street for shopping, and checking out some historical sites like the Scott monument. There are a lot of art galleries and museums, and the National museum of Scotland is my my favourite - it is massive and has tonnes of stuff to look at.
You absolutely MUST go and see the royal mile! It is a really old street with the castle at one end (visit it too) and it has lots of shops, cafes and attractions. Obviously check out the university too.

Anything else... There is Edinburgh zoo, which is one of only a few places outside China to have Giant Pandas. It has a lot of animals and you could spend atleast most of a day there. If you want something spooky or fun, I would also go to the Edinburgh Dungeons.

Personally, I had an offer from UCL and turned it down for Edinburgh. I feel that Edinburgh is much nicer than London, I feel like London is just too big for me and it is extremely expensive to live there. You will know when you see the city whether Edinburgh is for you - I thought it was like some ancient kingdom, it is just so beautiful.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Ambry

Personally, I had an offer from UCL and turned it down for Edinburgh. I feel that Edinburgh is much nicer than London, I feel like London is just too big for me and it is extremely expensive to live there. You will know when you see the city whether Edinburgh is for you - I thought it was like some ancient kingdom, it is just so beautiful.

What a coincidence, my London offer is also from UCL!

Thank you all for the replies, my short stay in Edinburgh was lovely :smile:. I've been to a number of the things you guys mentioned. Edinburgh seems like a great place and I'm quite sure now that I'll firm the offer!
What a coincidence, my London offer is also from UCL!

Thank you all for the replies, my short stay in Edinburgh was lovely :smile:. I've been to a number of the things you guys mentioned. Edinburgh seems like a great place and I'm quite sure now that I'll firm the offer!

I'm glad you had a nice time in Scotland! Edinburgh is very nice :smile:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was just in Edinburgh...you can honestly just walk about the centre and find things to do. There's so much going on all the time! Absolutely love Edinburgh, I lived there for a couple years and can't wait to apply to move back for uni this September.
Reply 7
If you're fond of scenic views, be sure not to miss the Castle, Calton Hill and Arthur's Seat :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending