The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

What would you do if a loved one came out as transgender?

Scroll to see replies

Move planets.
Absolutely bless you my darling, you are soooo brave to post this. You should be so proud of yourself for being a pioneer for other young people who discover they are transgender. You must be so afraid sometimes and feel so lonely. I hope you have some good friends to chat to. I would be understanding if one of my kids came out as trans or gay or wanting to be bloody fish tbh. You are you whether you are a boy or a girl. It really doesn't matter, it is just a label society puts on us. Just be strong for yourself and stand proud to be yourself. In years to come you will have the strength to show other trans young people the path to follow and they will admire you for the role model you will become. Good luck with your transformation to become the man you are and please remain the person you still will be.
It wouldn't change how I thought of them at all, I would accept them, and be proud of their courage.
I'm generally accepting of other people, so whilst the overall shock would be quick, I would still be surprised nonetheless, but I'd still care for them. Transgender people still have a lot of battles to fight yet in order to achieve full equality, and each non-transgender ally they have behind them, the less battles they will face.
Original post by GoldGhost
I didn't wake up this morning and decide I was going to be a heterosexual female nor did my friend wake up this morning and decide she was lesbian female.

With regards to treatment, what do you mean? How can you treat something that doesn't need to be treated.

You say that "sexuality is a choice" but then you say " why would someone pick it if it had so much stigma,". Your post is contradictory

I agree, you wouldn't wake up over-night. Rather, it's something you would develop both consciously and subconsciously through your actions over a long period of time.

Why would someone pick it if it had so much stigma was me using devils advocate. Someone stated, if homosexuality was a choice, why would someone pick a practise such highly stigmatised?

I replied, many preferences are stigmatised , illegal, and highly looked down on, sexual preferences and yet people do them.
Look, if transgender was actually fully genetic, or basically pre-determined at birth, if such a thing existed, i would be out there fighting for transgender rights but i don't believe there is any significant and reliable evidence to conclude that.
Original post by Zainabahlulbayt
Look, if transgender was actually fully genetic, or basically pre-determined at birth, if such a thing existed, i would be out there fighting for transgender rights but i don't believe there is any significant and reliable evidence to conclude that.

Take a look at some of this, then, if you're really interested in investigating the matter, because trans people are always in need of more advocates!

Original post by Zainabahlulbayt

So because you're not convinced that being transgender - which has absolutely no effect on you, and which is only the business of the trans person and those closest to them - is genetic, you'd advocate potentially harmful "treatment" to force them to fit your notions of how people should behave.

Not to cause offense...and i am not comparing the transgender to peadophiles, but again, the argument is - why would someone pick it if it had so much stigma, why would they refuse treatment if it was easily treatable.

Treatment needs to be first made. There really is no proper treatment for the transgender, and becoming transgender isn't an over-night thing, it takes many, many years perhaps, key events, maybe events in their childhood.

Sexuality is a choice.

Great. I'm glad we've cleared that up.