The Student Room Group

Have I got News for You is now UNWATCHABLE

I used to enjoy this program, but now its downright unwatchable.

The constant leftist sneering, negativity towards anything and everything in the public eye, the awkward berating of guests, the unfunny token women they stick on the panel, guest hosts desperately trying to be funny at the expense of any dignity.

Does anyone agree?
Not really.
Reply 2
Original post by Double Agent
I used to enjoy this program, but now its downright unwatchable.

The constant leftist sneering, negativity towards anything and everything in the public eye, the awkward berating of guests, the unfunny token women they stick on the panel, guest hosts desperately trying to be funny at the expense of any dignity.

Does anyone agree?

I tell you where it started to go wrong: when Angus Deayton left.

Sure - he had his own personal problems - but before the next show aired, there was a whole frenzy about how he had made his career from laughing at public figures who had been involved in scandal; which built up to the actual show itself.

That was the show that you describe. That actual show was unwatchable. Ian Hislop made constant reference to Deayton's folly, and Paul Merton wore a T-shirt with a tabloid style front page on it declaring Deayton's dirty laundry.

He didn't last much longer and resigned soon after. But it was so uneccessary. Who said they had to rip into him? The whole show turned into a humiliation of him - which seemed to me because they thought it was what they had to do, rather than what anyone wanted.

Since then, it's never been the same.
Bump?
Completely agree. I can't stand Ian Hislop.
Yeah I agree with a lot of that. Paul Merton is rarely as sharp as he used to be, and Ian just seems to use any opportunity to needle a politician simply for being a politician, which gets really tiresome. The unoriginal jokes get really stale too; haha yes, Eric Pickles is overweight, haha yes, Boris Johnson sometimes acts like a bit of a buffoon, haha yes, Ed Miliband is uncharistmatic, haha yes, a lot of the Tory cabinet went to Eton, haha yes, Nick Clegg is David Cameron's poodle...tell me more.
Watched a few of the older stuff online and they're definitely better. Has anyone watched the one where the Labour MP guest they were supposed to have failed to turn up so instead they used a tub of lard in his place?
Have not watched it in ages.
Reply 8
I agree. It's terrible because I still get suckered into each episode, only to leave with a bland taste in my mouth. I even used to enjoy Hislop's frosty demeanour but that too has become tiresome and stale. :frown:
It's gone downhill for years. Can't bear to watch it now, used be a big fan of the show few years ago.
No. It's never been watchable; Ian Hislop is an annoying ****.
it's not what it used to be but it has it's moments, really varies a lot depending on who they have on though
I don't watch it very often but the one recently with Nigel Farage was awesome!
well clearly some do - but no
It's not yet as bad as Mock the Week.
Reply 15
Original post by Autistic Merit
It's not yet as bad as Mock the Week.

It's not as good without Frankie but its not bad and a lot better than HIGNFY! I love Dara, Hugh and Chris Addison. And Russell.
Reply 16
I don't see anything wrong with comedians having political positions. You probably wouldn't be upset if they were having a go at left wing politicians. I found the episode with Nigel Farage amazing. I actually now have more respect for him than I used to. At least he's a good sport!

Quick Reply

Latest