The Student Room Group

Getting into MBB?

Have been looking to get into MBB Consulting or Investment Banking or even just management consulting at the second tier.

Anyway, I had an A level prediction of ABB , ended up getting A*A*A. Now instead of taking a year out and applying Warwrick, Oxbridge, LSE (im fairly confident would have got offers at least atLSE if not Cambridge etc) , i decided to just go to University of Nottingham (Politics and Economics)

Now don't get me wrong, i love nottingham, the campus, the people and its a very good uni and great social life. But considering it career wise, I am assuming i have 0 chance of breaking into MBB or IB?

Is there any other route into MBB particularly?
(edited 10 years ago)
Only thing which makes me question your chances of breaking into either industry is down to how much this post smells of self pity. I'm pretty sure I know a few people from Nottingham who got SWs at BBs, so your chances are not quite at zero in terms of breaking in. Nottingham is a strong university.

Don't places like Deloitte and Accenture count as 'second tier' MC firms? I don't envisage any issues with a Nottingham degree there.

For you to get into MBB, you'll need to be one of the most impressive people at Nottingham if not the most. So by that you should be playing sport to a high level at university/on the exec of influential societies etc.

You can always attempt to go to MBB as an experienced hire. I would always you to try and do a banking summer internship and then attempt to apply for a full time role there.
Reply 2
Original post by Cutmeloose
Only thing which makes me question your chances of breaking into either industry is down to how much this post smells of self pity. I'm pretty sure I know a few people from Nottingham who got SWs at BBs, so your chances are not quite at zero in terms of breaking in. Nottingham is a strong university.

Don't places like Deloitte and Accenture count as 'second tier' MC firms? I don't envisage any issues with a Nottingham degree there.

For you to get into MBB, you'll need to be one of the most impressive people at Nottingham if not the most. So by that you should be playing sport to a high level at university/on the exec of influential societies etc.

You can always attempt to go to MBB as an experienced hire. I would always you to try and do a banking summer internship and then attempt to apply for a full time role there.

Or have gone to a really ****ing good school, bag a 2.1 and have extensive club repping experience.
Original post by Le Nombre
Or have gone to a really ****ing good school, bag a 2.1 and have extensive club repping experience.

Haha get daddy to start trawling down the old boys network.
Reply 4
Haha get daddy to start trawling down the old boys network.

To be fair it probably does help. 'Oh Dominating and Nominating PLC have a job up soon? Their CEO Tom Hancock? Great, I know Hanners from back in the day. Top bants, great lad, went round Bali with his son Justin in my gap year. Yeah Hanners always came to the rugger on a Saturday if he could. Going down Inferno's on the hunt with Just this weekend actually, lashtastic.'

Deal sealed in 3 minutes of filthy references to the fitty on reception, questions about what your Dad's doing and some quality chat dished about this season's Daily Mail Cup as everyone knows you just get the consultants in to give you an excuse to fire some people by producing a report containing excessive use of the words synchronicity and optimisation.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Le Nombre
To be fair it probably does help. 'Oh Dominating and Nominating PLC have a job up soon? Their CEO Tom Hancock? Great, I know Hanners from back in the day. Top bants, great lad, went round Bali with his son Justin in my gap year. Yeah Hanners always came to the rugger on a Saturday if he could. Going down Inferno's on the hunt with Just this weekend actually, lashtastic.'

Deal sealed in 3 minutes of filthy references to the fitty on reception, questions about what your Dad's doing and some quality chat dished about this season's Daily Mail Cup as everyone knows you just get the consultants in to give you an excuse to fire some people by producing a report containing excessive use of the words synchronicity and optimisation.

lol there are plenty of that type at LSE
Original post by mandem2k11
Have been looking to get into MBB Consulting or Investment Banking or even just management consulting at the second tier.

Anyway, I had an A level prediction of ABB , ended up getting A*A*A. Now instead of taking a year out and applying Warwrick, Oxbridge, LSE (im fairly confident would have got offers at least atLSE if not Cambridge etc) , i decided to just go to University of Nottingham (Politics and Economics)

Now don't get me wrong, i love nottingham, the campus, the people and its a very good uni and great social life. But considering it career wise, I am assuming i have 0 chance of breaking into MBB or IB?

Is there any other route into MBB particularly?

A*A*A wouldn't have guaranteed LSE and Cambridge expect 3A* from gap year as a good standard so lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
lol there are plenty of that type at LSE

private school stereotypes are awesome lolol, rahrahrah rahhh. To op, look at the consulting threads on here. MBB offer a serious limited number of places, less so than nearly all I banks, and yes, sadly they do recruit mainly from Oxbridge. Warwick students who had stellar records in the year above me didn't get a peep. However, if you really want mc, lol at mbb being the standard. You have firms such as oc and c, Accenture, LEK, marakon, OW etc, and also Deloitte is a beast at mc, really devote a lot of resources in that position.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending