The Student Room Group

PSYA1/PSYA2 notes

I notice a lot of people say that they feel there are a lot of studies to learn for AS. I was lucky to have a great teacher last year who condensed the information and made it really memorable. Although I can't recreate that sense of memorability from lessons, I've written up those condensed notes which managed to get me an A for both units. We never took the text book home or even used a revision guide, she would just make these information booklets that we went through in class.

So for those who are in AS or doing resits, I've been writing up my notes on a blog called acepsychology.

I have pages on the left hand side that are 'topics' (e.g. social psychology, biological psychology etc.) 'resources' (other external sites that may be helpful) and 'tips' (self explanatory really!)

Please feel free to tell me if you spot an error or have any resources/tip suggestions and I'll edit it! :smile:
Reply 1
thank you
Reply 2
Very helpful thanks!!

I've wrote some notes here too

as-psyc1

and

as-psyc2
(edited 10 years ago)
Thank you for this! There is so much to learn for psychology.
Original post by xtenshiai
Very helpful thanks!!

I've wrote some notes here too

as-psyc1

and

as-psyc2

Aha I've seen your notes in the tag :biggrin: I'll add you to the resources page on my blog!
Reply 5
Original post by lemonysnicketing
Aha I've seen your notes in the tag :biggrin: I'll add you to the resources page on my blog!

Thank you! I'll add you to mine too :biggrin:
Reply 6
I notice a lot of people say that they feel there are a lot of studies to learn for AS. I was lucky to have a great teacher last year who condensed the information and made it really memorable. Although I can't recreate that sense of memorability from lessons, I've written up those condensed notes which managed to get me an A for both units. We never took the text book home or even used a revision guide, she would just make these information booklets that we went through in class.

So for those who are in AS or doing resits, I've been writing up my notes on a blog called acepsychology.

I have pages on the left hand side that are 'topics' (e.g. social psychology, biological psychology etc.) 'resources' (other external sites that may be helpful) and 'tips' (self explanatory really!)

Please feel free to tell me if you spot an error or have any resources/tip suggestions and I'll edit it! :smile:

I used your notes today for PSYA2 and they were very helpful. Thank you. Hopefully u will make one for PSYA3 and PSYA4? Next year :smile:

If u dont mind me asking what grade did u get for AS and how else did u revise other than with these notes?

:smile:
Original post by tweety97
I used your notes today for PSYA2 and they were very helpful. Thank you. Hopefully u will make one for PSYA3 and PSYA4? Next year :smile:

If u dont mind me asking what grade did u get for AS and how else did u revise other than with these notes?

:smile:

Aha maybe I will do one for PSYA3/PSYA4 next year...we'll see how it goes with the workload and stuff if I get into uni!

I got an A for AS and to be honest, I relied solely on those notes (as well as past papers and examiner reports). BUT I could only get away with that because my teacher made the lessons so memorable that when it came to revision all the information kind of just came flooding back to me...not really sure how else to describe that without it sounding confusing but yeah :P
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Aha maybe I will do one for PSYA3/PSYA4 next year...we'll see how it goes with the workload and stuff if I get into uni!

I got an A for AS and to be honest, I relied solely on those notes (as well as past papers and examiner reports). BUT I could only get away with that because my teacher made the lessons so memorable that when it came to revision all the information kind of just came flooding back to me...not really sure how else to describe that without it sounding confusing but yeah :P

Ok, if u do make one pls let me know as it would be extremely helpful.

Ah thats great congratulations. Thank you for the tips :smile: they are very helpful
Reply 9

Hello again,

I just have a quick question: for the sympathomedullary and the pituitary-adrenal system do we need to know the function of every part for example: the pituitary gland, the SNS etc. in my textbook they have a lot of details about each part but in your notes you don't so is it not relevant?

thank you :smile:
Hello again,

I just have a quick question: for the sympathomedullary and the pituitary-adrenal system do we need to know the function of every part for example: the pituitary gland, the SNS etc. in my textbook they have a lot of details about each part but in your notes you don't so is it not relevant?

thank you :smile:

The most a question has been on it is 3 marks so it doesn't seem a lot of detail is needed aside from the main points. The mark scheme doesn't make any mention of the need to state what the functions of the adrenal glands are, I assume the textbook included that to give a better understanding.

Copied and pasted from the mark scheme (June 2011):

PITUITARY ADRENAL

"Main features of pituitary - adrenal system are that the hypothalamus communicates with the pituitary gland causing it to release ACTH. This hormone is then detected in the bloodstream by the adrenal cortex, which then releases corticosteroids such as cortisol and corticosterone. The corticosteroids have a range of effects such as causing the liver to release glucose.
An accurate diagram could also receive credit.
1 mark for a brief outline and 3 marks for a correct and coherent outline of the system."

SYMPATHOMEDULLARY

“Main features of the Sympathomedullary pathway are that the hypothalamus activates the sympathetic nervous system, which then stimulates the adrenal medulla to release the hormones adrenaline and noradrenaline into the bloodstream. This gets the body ready for fight-or-flight, eg increase blood pressure and heart rate.
1 mark for a brief outline and 3 marks for a correct and coherent outline of the system.
Candidates who simply mention “the adrenal gland” without specifying whether it is the cortex or medulla do not gain credit for that part of their answer.”

Only a basic outline is needed, which is what I've covered. Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 11
The most a question has been on it is 3 marks so it doesn't seem a lot of detail is needed aside from the main points. The mark scheme doesn't make any mention of the need to state what the functions of the adrenal glands are, I assume the textbook included that to give a better understanding.

Copied and pasted from the mark scheme (June 2011):

PITUITARY ADRENAL

"Main features of pituitary - adrenal system are that the hypothalamus communicates with the pituitary gland causing it to release ACTH. This hormone is then detected in the bloodstream by the adrenal cortex, which then releases corticosteroids such as cortisol and corticosterone. The corticosteroids have a range of effects such as causing the liver to release glucose.
1 mark for a brief outline and 3 marks for a correct and coherent outline of the system."

SYMPATHOMEDULLARY

“Main features of the Sympathomedullary pathway are that the hypothalamus activates the sympathetic nervous system, which then stimulates the adrenal medulla to release the hormones adrenaline and noradrenaline into the bloodstream. This gets the body ready for fight-or-flight, eg increase blood pressure and heart rate.
1 mark for a brief outline and 3 marks for a correct and coherent outline of the system.
Candidates who simply mention “the adrenal gland” without specifying whether it is the cortex or medulla do not gain credit for that part of their answer.”

Only a basic outline is needed, which is what I've covered. Hope this helps! :smile:

thank you that was really helpful. if it was 6 marks of an outline what would i say? also if it was a 12 marker how would i evaluate it?
thank you that was really helpful. if it was 6 marks of an outline what would i say? also if it was a 12 marker how would i evaluate it?

You wouldn't be asked to evaluate because as far as I know, there is no information relating to that in textbooks and neither has it come up on a past exam. As a general guide, if no textbook covers evaluation of something then evaluation of it then it is not needed.

It's very very unlikely (if not impossible!) you would get a question that's above 3 or 4 marks, because in the specification it states candidates need to to know about the stress pathways 'in outline.'

Shoot me a PM if you need extra help! :smile:
Reply 13
You wouldn't be asked to evaluate because as far as I know, there is no information relating to that in textbooks and neither has it come up on a past exam. As a general guide, if no textbook covers evaluation of something then evaluation of it then it is not needed.

It's very very unlikely (if not impossible!) you would get a question that's above 3 or 4 marks, because in the specification it states candidates need to to know about the stress pathways 'in outline.'

Shoot me a PM if you need extra help! :smile:

Oh ok , yes your right there is no evaluation in the textbook. Thank you for your help. Im relieved that i dont have to know it in great depth.

Thank you are ill pm u if i need anything else :smile: :smile:
Reply 14

hi, just wanted to say thank you. just visited for first time your blog. it is such a great help. i am trying to revise unit 2 and i am struggling sooo bad... unit 1 wasnt that bad but i feel hopeless for unit 2 :frown: i really hope your notes will help me to revise for unit 2.. is it too late you think? thanks again.
Original post by mbolomiti
hi, just wanted to say thank you. just visited for first time your blog. it is such a great help. i am trying to revise unit 2 and i am struggling sooo bad... unit 1 wasnt that bad but i feel hopeless for unit 2 :frown: i really hope your notes will help me to revise for unit 2.. is it too late you think? thanks again.

It's not too late if you put your mind to it! Push yourself to do a bit everyday (along with your other subjects) and I'm sure you'll get through :smile:
Reply 16
It's not too late if you put your mind to it! Push yourself to do a bit everyday (along with your other subjects) and I'm sure you'll get through :smile:

thank you :smile: will plan and revise everyday

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending