The Student Room Group

Would you date a poor person ?!

Reverse of the other threads

Would you date someone who was poor (say minimum wage or even unemployed)

Would it make a difference if

1. Poor out of choice / settled
2. Poor out of circumstance , tries hard but can't get a break

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
1, no. 2, yes.
Reply 2
As I am currently poor, it'd be a tad hypocritical to say no.

That being said, dating is hard, being poor is hard. Combining them seems like a perfect storm for disaster to me,
Original post by alow
1, no. 2, yes.

This. I don't care how much money someone has, but I do care if they are lazy, unmotivated or not ambitious. Pride is more important than wealth.
1, no. 2, yes.

If they can't be arsed, then nor can I.
Why would I date a poor person?

I wouldn't.
Everybody's poor at university, haven't got much of a choice :tongue:

In all seriousness, I would want to be with someone who was on a similar intellectual level. What I have found is that those that fall into this category seem to be of a similar socioeconomic standing. I have not deliberately tried to find people of similar SES but this is how it has worked out. That being said, I wouldn't purposefully not go out with someone just because they were poor.
Reply 7
Original post by Cool_JordH
Why would I date a poor person?

I wouldn't.

I agree.
I honestly wouldn't consider it in the slightest, as long as they make the effort :smile:
Reply 9
Wouldn't make much of a difference short term, as I have the things I want.

But tbh I don't want to live in the UK forever.
Reply 10
Original post by alow
1, no. 2, yes.

/thread
Original post by JusDePomme

I'm rich so if they were the right person for me I wouldn't care.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by LJStudent
Everybody's poor at university, haven't got much of a choice :tongue:

In all seriousness, I would want to be with someone who was on a similar intellectual level. What I have found is that those that fall into this category seem to be of a similar socioeconomic standing. I have not deliberately tried to find people of similar SES but this is how it has worked out. That being said, I wouldn't purposefully not go out with someone just because they were poor.

You've got to be kidding. I long for the days of Maintenance Loan/Grant...

That said, having a job where you know that money is regularly coming in is slightly better than having a set amount you have to make last for months.
Reply 13
Poor and attractive - Yes

Poor and unattractive - No

Looks mean everything.
Reply 14
If I like the look of someone and we get on then of course.

I'm not sure how you would know they were 'poor' before dating them, without looking at bank balance/assets before how would you know? I have a couple of friends who are unemployed and they are the richest of my friends, yet don't appear so.
Original post by JusDePomme

1. No
2. Yes
Its of no consideration to me whatsoever.

I realize that if I was poor/not from a well off family that it might matter (long term relationship wise, you know settling down and all that?)
Poor out of choice? We can't all be investment bankers, if we were who would clean the offices in Goldman Sachs?

No, I wouldn't rule someone out just because they were poor.
For the people who say no to the 1st, what if they worked for a while when younger then lost their job and then lost motivation to get back to work in part due to wages being so low that a 40 hour a week job would barely cover rent and expenses let alone food, and being on benefits meant they got the same money just didnt have to work i.e they still could barely afford food and couldnt afford heating.

There is a difference between someone who is just lazy and someone who likes to work just lacks motivation due to money and stress.
Original post by DiZZeeKiD
This. I don't care how much money someone has, but I do care if they are lazy, unmotivated or not ambitious. Pride is more important than wealth.

Pride is a vice, it shouldn't be something desirable or enviable. One can of course have self-respect without being prideful.

Anyway the first question does not specify 'choice' clearly. Is working a job you enjoy over one that pays well choosing to be poor? Is not being a greedy career driven asswipe choosing to be poor?

I'm SURE most of you people wouldn't date me, I have no ambition to do 'well', I don't really care about money much more than the bare minimum and I probably come of as lazy and unmotivated to you. Am I sad or upset by that? No. Am I going to make any change in my personality to accommodate you or someone like you? No. Why? Because I'd be ****ing miserable and being happy is more important than absolutely anything else you care to mention.

Quick Reply

Latest