The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by onepiece#1
Lets say there are 30 000 med applicants and only 6000 places available on the course. Out of those 6000 that are accepted, how many of them would have mediocre GCSE grades. Less than 10%? This is just to get an idea of how I would fair vs others. Although I know I'm at a disadvantage.

I mean, there must be some people who don't meet the required grades but still go through - not that I'm betting on this to happen to me.

Whether you stand any chance at all depends entirely on you applying to the correct med schools after thorough research. 5000 of those accepted could have worse GCSEs than you (this will not be the case, incidentally), but you'll still be rejected right off the bat, without interview, if you apply to four med schools that rank people according to their 7 best GCSEs (etc) when deciding who to invite to interview.
Reply 81
You might want to look at a job at McDonalds :teehee:
Reply 82
Original post by Ronove
Whether you stand any chance at all depends entirely on you applying to the correct med schools after thorough research. 5000 of those accepted could have worse GCSEs than you (this will not be the case, incidentally), but you'll still be rejected right off the bat, without interview, if you apply to four med schools that rank people according to their 7 best GCSEs (etc) when deciding who to invite to interview.

erm alright so apart from oxbridge, what other Unis may use GCSEs to rank applicants? I have no idea and any thorough research into this will have to be after my AS exams since I have the whole of summer to do this.
Reply 83
Original post by Red one
You might want to look at a job at McDonalds :teehee:

LOL I don't know what to say......
Reply 84
LOL I don't know what to say......

I'm joking :wink: Your best bet is applying after a gap year when you have your A-levels.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 85
erm alright so apart from oxbridge, what other Unis may use GCSEs to rank applicants? I have no idea and any thorough research into this will have to be after my AS exams since I have the whole of summer to do this.

I don't know which ones don't look at GCSEs, and I can only vaguely remember a couple that do, and beyond KCL I couldn't be confident enough of remembering which they are to be able to tell you. I've never sought to apply for Medicine as a school-leaver so I've only absorbed things by virtue of being in this sub-forum. If I had been looking for this information for myself I would have retained it somewhat better. But plenty of people here can help you out if you can't find the information you're looking for, after trying.

Original post by Red one
I'm joking :wink: Your best bet is applying after a gap year when you have your A-levels.

There is absolutely no reason why he/she shouldn't apply with his/her AS results and A2 predictions. There's no reason to think achieved A2s would be so much more of an indication of ability than achieved AS grades.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 86
can anyone go to open days? or do you have to be invited or something? I would go to them and speak to staff members themselves to get a better idea and more insight.
can anyone go to open days? or do you have to be invited or something? I would go to them and speak to staff members themselves to get a better idea and more insight.

I would be careful to set your heart on medicine. I know people that got 4 rejections and A/A* at A level. Have you considered an allied subject like biology, biomed, or biochem? If you are desperate to do medicine you can always request to transfer after your first year, or even after you graduate.
Reply 88
Original post by QuantumOverlord
I would be careful to set your heart on medicine. I know people that got 4 rejections and A/A* at A level. Have you considered an allied subject like biology, biomed, or biochem? If you are desperate to do medicine you can always request to transfer after your first year, or even after you graduate.

I have, also considering biomed. Is there less competition for these courses?

I thought that transferring after 1st year wasn't even possible...... if you can, do they base it on how well you do in your first year?
Reply 89

I thought that transferring after 1st year wasn't even possible...... if you can, do they base it on how well you do in your first year?

A very select few unis allow transfer of a select group of students it's not a route to rely on

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 90
Original post by wizard101
Well that could be an extenuating circumstance which might have affected your gcse but using this way for your medicine application might be irony since you should not be dishonest in medicine. Well a better idea would be to apply to a different degree and go through the graduate entry for medicine.

Hi there, what do you mean by the underlined? I don't really understand. Thanks! =)

It is, but your marks have to be exemplary and you will start with the first year of med.

But even if you don't transfer in your first year you have an opportunity on graduation. I just don't think you should set yourself up to be disappointed if you are rejected by an extremely oversubscribed competitive course.
Original post by Delta, Δ
Hi there, what do you mean by the underlined? I don't really understand. Thanks! =)

Well considering he admitted that his conditions did not affect his GCSE performance, its sort of unjustifiable to put it as an extenuating circumstance (meaning conditions that have actually affected his exam performance so that university would put this as contextual data). This kind of gives advantage for him over other applicants who had the same performance as him. But though, his teacher should mention this on his reference.
Reply 93
Original post by QuantumOverlord
It is, but your marks have to be exemplary and you will start with the first year of med.

But even if you don't transfer in your first year you have an opportunity on graduation. I just don't think you should set yourself up to be disappointed if you are rejected by an extremely oversubscribed competitive course.

So I should opt to do a Bsc in a related subject first because my chances of getting in are higher...... and with luck I may get transferred. Well it sounds safe and reasonable I guess. Atleast my grades&scores in my Bsc will be looked at more if I transfer to med. After that they'll probly look at my A levels so that puts GCSEs at the end of the checklist and will have less influence/impact on admission tutors compared to applying straight to undergrad med.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 94
So I should opt to do a Bsc in a related subject first because my chances of getting in are higher...... and with luck I may get transferred. Well it sounds safe and reasonable I guess. Atleast my grades&scores in my Bsc will be looked at more if I transfer to med. After that they'll probly look at my A levels so that puts GCSEs at the end of the checklist and will have less influence/impact on admission tutors compared to applying straight to undergrad med.

If I were you id apply post gap year with achieved a levels to undergrad med. Grad entry and transfers are even more competitive than undergrad! You'd be better to just resit maths and English gcse than rely on risky competitive options!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95
Original post by em.d_4
If I were you id apply post gap year with achieved a levels to undergrad med. Grad entry and transfers are even more competitive than undergrad! You'd be better to just resit maths and English gcse than rely on risky competitive options!

Posted from TSR Mobile

My issue with taking a gap year is that, sure I may improve my maths and english to a B or higher. But even then my GCSEs are poor lol and even though I'll be in a better position to apply for med, I may get rejected. That would set me two years back with no guarantee of getting accepted the next year.

I would rather actually get in a course even if its biomed, have a chance of doin grad med and to prove myself and show that my GCSEs were a blip. It's more risky taking a gap year in my opinion because by doing a bsc I'll atleast have a chance of doing grad med IF my results are good.

And I will resit my english & maths if i can in november this year. Oh and I'll still apply to undergrad if i do get 4 As; you never know.
(edited 10 years ago)

Your chances will not be higher. Grad entry is even more competitive than undergrad and it is highly unlikely you would be able to transfer (the few courses that offer that only take the best performing students in that year and the majority of people will all be aiming for the same thing).

Look into resitting as soon as possible and work your socks off to get a minimum of AAA at A level. Remember around 65% of med applicants get no offers during their first application round so be prepared to take a gap year. Taking a gap year will still be a quicker, easier and cheaper option than aiming for grad entry.

Additionally I see you don't want to move out of London.... You have to consider how much you want to do medicine. There are plenty of excellent medical schools outside of London, that may look upon your grades slightly more leniently .... The thing is with medicine you have to apply using your strengths and where you have a good shot at an interview... not necessarily your 'dream' school.
Reply 97
Original post by Amyk89
Your chances will not be higher. Grad entry is even more competitive than undergrad and it is highly unlikely you would be able to transfer (the few courses that offer that only take the best performing students in that year and the majority of people will all be aiming for the same thing).

Look into resitting as soon as possible and work your socks off to get a minimum of AAA at A level. Remember around 65% of med applicants get no offers during their first application round so be prepared to take a gap year. Taking a gap year will still be a quicker, easier and cheaper option than aiming for grad entry.

Additionally I see you don't want to move out of London.... You have to consider how much you want to do medicine. There are plenty of excellent medical schools outside of London, that may look upon your grades slightly more leniently .... The thing is with medicine you have to apply using your strengths and where you have a good shot at an interview... not necessarily your 'dream' school.

See, my A level chemistry teacher told me to drop the subject because of my poor maths and average gcses since I'm going to struggle. Now I'm one of the few people in my class predicted an A. Don't wanna sound cocky but I guess I'm just gonna have to be one of the 'best performing students'. If I go with the mentality 'oh my god there's so much competition and I'm not good enough', then I might as well give up education.
Reply 98
As I said before, there's no harm in trying to apply this year because just maybe, I may get an offer which I may not have got if I didn't apply. If i do get rejected, I'm gonna have to take a gap year anyway.
See, my A level chemistry teacher told me to drop the subject because of my poor maths and average gcses since I'm going to struggle. Now I'm one of the few people in my class predicted an A. Don't wanna sound cocky but I guess I'm just gonna have to be one of the 'best performing students'. If I go with the mentality 'oh my god there's so much competition and I'm not good enough', then I might as well give up education.

You're going to do what you want in the end. A lot of the people on this thread are just trying to give you sensible suggestions and make you realise how f'ing crazily competitive the whole thing is and help you maximise your chances.

Latest

Trending

Trending