The Student Room Group

Can i do medicine with a C in GCSE maths and english but with GOOD a level results

I didn't do well in my GCSEs mostly Bs and Cs and only one A (biology). but will Unis like UCL overlook this if i get a couple of A*s at A2.
I'm doing AS now and I know I shouldn't look too far ahead but i want to know whether I'm wasting my time by by applying to medicine with my bad GCSE grades. Problem is I got C for both maths and English

By the way I'm doing AS chemistry, biology, psychology and sociology (which I'll drop at A2). I'm working really hard and predicted AAAA for my AS exams and hopefully if i do get these grades then my college will pedict me A*s or As for A2.

Which Unis don't pay too much attention at GCSEs? And my other choice is to do biomedical science (preferably UCL) with a postgraduate in medicine later on. Are my GCSEs good enough for biomed?

THANKSSS

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It is unlikely. You need to look at each university's requirements and not apply to places where you don't meet them. Many want a B or above in English and Maths regardless of what you do at A-level, so it might be worth resitting those two during sixth form.
Reply 2
Gcse requirements are the minimum you need to be considered and most if not all people applying have better results than you. Also maths alevel is better than sociology and psychology which are viewed as soft subjects. Are you sure medicine is for you and you can cope??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I think Plymouth or Exeter might accept C at GCSE English but I'm not 100% sure. The C in maths is more of an issue in my opinion., and as Helenia suggested, you might have to retake to widen your options. Take a look at extended Medical programs as well.

Also, ignore the poster above, I have an A level in sociology, and I don't think I'm underachieving - medicine is not hard there's just a lot of content.

With regards to grad medicine, biomedical sciences is not the only degree that makes it possible - so do something you enjoy.
(edited 10 years ago)
It would have been better if you'd retaken some GCSE's this year and taken maths at AS. I'm not a medicine applicant but from what I have seen it is very competitive, most people will have A's (or A*'s) at GCSE's with further A's at AS with predicted A*'s at A2.

+ Keep working hard at psychology and sociology, universities have stated that they do not label subjects as 'soft' or 'hard' so there is no point worrying over that.

If you want to do medicine keep working at it and you'll get there. What I would do is re-take those subjects that you got C's in and go about seeing if you can take a-level mathematics, if you need to do an extra year of A-levels because of it don't let that stop you either. Remember it isn't a race and to get in that work experience too!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
I didn't say under achieving but it is regarded as a soft subject. With two soft subjects you are being put at a disadvantage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Universities may say that's hey don't label subjects, but I know an admissions tutor and in reality they do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would re-take your English and maths gcses.
Reply 8
It may put you at a big disadvantage if you're applying for places such as UCL which is extremely competitive I honestly think you shouldn't give up on you're dream of a career in medicine. If it's possible I think you should retake you're maths GCSE during you're A2 studies and aim for an A hopefully. And hey if it doesn't work out you could always go and explore something else within the health and science field and you could choose to do grad medicine if you still would like to pursue a career as a doctor. But I honesty think for the meanwhile focus on you're AS and smash you're exams!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Sumena
It may put you at a big disadvantage if you're applying for places such as UCL which is extremely competitive I honestly think you shouldn't give up on you're dream of a career in medicine. If it's possible I think you should retake you're maths GCSE during you're A2 studies and aim for an A hopefully. And hey if it doesn't work out you could always go and explore something else within the health and science field and you could choose to do grad medicine if you still would like to pursue a career as a doctor. But I honesty think for the meanwhile focus on you're AS and smash you're exams!

Posted from TSR Mobile
#

YEAH i think i have to retake maths gcse to stand a chance
Reply 10
Original post by Maxxie
I think Plymouth or Exeter might accept C at GCSE English but I'm not 100% sure. The C in maths is more of an issue in my opinion., and as Helenia suggested, you might have to retake to widen your options. Take a look at extended Medical programs as well.

Also, ignore the poster above, I have an A level in sociology, and I don't think I'm underachieving - medicine is not hard there's just a lot of content.

With regards to grad medicine, biomedical sciences is not the only degree that makes it possible - so do something you enjoy.

Would getting a good bmat or ukcat score help my cause?
Original post by onepiece#1
Would getting a good bmat or ukcat score help my cause?

Certainly it would. However, like everyone has said, Medicine is competitive and hoping for an exceptional UKCAT/BMAT score which your application will depend on isn't the safest of gambles.
Reply 12
Original post by Refrigerator
Certainly it would. However, like everyone has said, Medicine is competitive and hoping for an exceptional UKCAT/BMAT score which your application will depend on isn't the safest of gambles.

hmm, do you happen to know whether i can retake my maths gcse in summer or would I have to wait till november later this year to retake?
hmm, do you happen to know whether i can retake my maths gcse in summer or would I have to wait till november later this year to retake?

Considering it might be quite late for your teachers to register you for those exam, I say take a gap year instead (might sound stupid but worth a shot I suppose). Reason is because your GCSE are quite poor for a medicine applicant (considering most of them would have A*/As and some Bs or Cs), so its advisable if you finish your A-level (and get AAA or higher if you can) and get good amount of work experience and volunteering then apply to medical schools. Retake those subjects if you can by this May/June or November if you can.
Reply 14
Original post by wizard101
Considering it might be quite late for your teachers to register you for those exam, I say take a gap year instead (might sound stupid but worth a shot I suppose). Reason is because your GCSE are quite poor for a medicine applicant (considering most of them would have A*/As and some Bs or Cs), so its advisable if you finish your A-level (and get AAA or higher if you can) and get good amount of work experience and volunteering then apply to medical schools. Retake those subjects if you can by this May/June or November if you can.

gap year.......i would rather not :frown:

hmm i was thinking of making up for my bad gcses but i guess it's almost impossible

well for now I'll concentrate on my AS exams coming up and see during summer any other courses which are more lenient on gcses
gap year.......i would rather not :frown:

hmm i was thinking of making up for my bad gcses but i guess it's almost impossible

well for now I'll concentrate on my AS exams coming up and see during summer any other courses which are more lenient on gcses

Do you have any extenuating circumstance which affected your GCSE result? If yes, then that would definitely help your medicine application because university have to take this into consideration.
Reply 16
Do you have any extenuating circumstance which affected your GCSE result? If yes, then that would definitely help your medicine application because university have to take this into consideration.

well tbh i did fracture my right collarbone so i missed out on school between March to mid april - around 6 weeks. but i didn't mention it since I thought Unis may not take pity or feel sorry for me :frown: LOL.

in terms of maths and english well for Eng Lang my class was doing practice mocks of which i missed out on 3 but managed to do 1 mock exam end of april. For maths my class was going through vectors....... that was so hard i tried going through it at home though

it didn't affect my science which i got ABB by the way, because we finished most of the syllabus by april.
well tbh i did fracture my right collarbone so i missed out on school between March to mid april - around 6 weeks. but i didn't mention it since I thought Unis may not take pity or feel sorry for me :frown: LOL.

in terms of maths and english well for Eng Lang my class was doing practice mocks of which i missed out on 3 but managed to do 1 mock exam end of april. For maths my class was going through vectors....... that was so hard i tried going through it at home though

it didn't affect my science which i got ABB by the way, because we finished most of the syllabus by april.

Well that could be an extenuating circumstance which might have affected your gcse but using this way for your medicine application might be irony since you should not be dishonest in medicine. Well a better idea would be to apply to a different degree and go through the graduate entry for medicine.
Reply 18
Well that could be an extenuating circumstance which might have affected your gcse but using this way for your medicine application might be irony since you should not be dishonest in medicine. Well a better idea would be to apply to a different degree and go through the graduate entry for medicine.

biomed? i think that requires minimum B for maths and english gcse as well.
Probably not.

Latest

Trending

Trending