The Student Room Group
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

Is Huddersfield safe?

No offence to anyone living in Huddersfield intended...

Me and my fiance are seriously considering moving to Huddersfield so I was wondering how it is to live. It seems to have so many good points for both of us but I was speaking to a childhood friend who went there for university and she pretty much scared me off saying you have to watch your back and can't trust anyone there. She kind of has this big "hard girl" persona so I thought perhaps she was exaggerating. I searched on the internet to try and get some more specifics but a lot of posts are mixed and from 6+ years ago...

I'd love to hear from people either from Huddersfield or living there. I understand that many places have their good and bad areas - I lived in Glasgow for 4 years and had a wonderful time and know how a bad reputation doesn't always reflect what it's actually like!

Ideally I'd like to know what it's like in terms of nicer, recommended areas to live, places to avoid, chances of being a target of crime etc.

Any advice/input greatly appreciated!
Reply 1
I live in Huddersfield, what I can tell you is that everybody here is friendly, smiles at you as you walk past, helpful... If you want to live in a "safe" place id suggest areas like Holmfirth, Lindley, Salendine Nook, Longwood, Linthwaite... (I'm in Longwood)

Yes it does have some worse places to live! I don't want to offend anybody BUT places like Crossland Moore, Birkby are known for being a bit rough. I have a friend in Birkby and saw a burglary in broad daylight!

Crime is just like any other place. It's rare and our local paper isn't always brimmed to the full with the latest robbings!!!
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website
Reply 2
Just don't watch Happy Valley...
Reply 3
I've lived in Huddersfield all my life except for one year. It's no worse than anywhere else really and is certainly safer than living in or near the bigger cities like Manchester or Leeds. To be honest, when I saw the thread title I thought it was kind of funny that someone might ask this.. because it's such a none issue. It's just.. normal. If you look around places like Leeds a ton of the houses around there have iron bars on the windows and an iron gate in front of the main door. You won't see anything like that around here because it's just not needed.

It's like everywhere. Some parts close to the city are good and some are less so, in appearance I mean. That doesn't mean they are less safe though. Basically, if you can avoid living on or near a council estate you're good to go. Not that I think there's any problems with every council estate either.. but you just sound like you probably want to avoid areas where more chavvy types might be. I'm not saying everyone who lives on a council estate is a chav, just in case that sounded offensive.
Hey everyone thanks for your input :smile: Sorry, I realised the title of this thread is really negative!

We've gone ahead an rented a house on Manchester Road :smile:

Any recommendations for decent takeaways, pubs, places to goetc?
Reply 5
Original post by thatonethere
Hey everyone thanks for your input :smile: Sorry, I realised the title of this thread is really negative!

We've gone ahead an rented a house on Manchester Road :smile:

Any recommendations for decent takeaways, pubs, places to goetc?

Takeaways -- Imrans in Golcar is the nicest takeaway I've ever had, I'm guessing you're in Linthwaite or Slaithwaite??? I'd suggest Marsden for pubs and places to visit!!!
Reply 6
I'm also thinking of moving to linthwaite on tudor street. I know Its not perfect but anywhere along there to avoid???
I’ve lived here in Huddersfield all my life. Some areas are absolutely beautiful, the likes of Marsden, Holmfirth, Slawit (Slaithwaite) and Meltham. It feels safe here and the communities are dead friendly. However there are some parts that don’t feel all that safe, I’m also sorry if I offend anyone but the areas of Birkby, Crosland Moor, Fartown, Dalton and Deighton. These areas are known for being a bit rough and not very pleasant, especially during the evening or night time. However the Colne Valley, The Holme Valley and parts of the Dearne Valley have some beautiful spots in the heart of the Yorkshire Countryside and like I say have a real community feeling. Overall the town centre is safe, during the day, on a night or an evening, especially a Saturday night, there are lots of people coming from the clubs, the bars and pubs etc but it’s no different to where anywhere else would be like.

Quick Reply

Latest