The Student Room Group

Woman gives herself 7 abortions.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the_lost_boy
What about in the case of rape or abuse?

For example, I had a friend who was coerced into getting pregnant by her abusive boyfriend. (She wanted birth control, but he'd scream at her and throw out her birth control pills and refused to use a condom or would puncture the condoms deliberately.) This man also threatened to kill her on more than one occasion, stalked her when she tried to leave him, and she wound up too afraid to leave him until the law intervened. She did wind up getting an abortion (right at the beginning of her pregnancy). Was she in the wrong?

'Accepting the risks' - Means consciously and freely entering into an activity, abuse and coercion wouldn't come under this scenario. I hope your friend is doing much better now shes rid of that scumbag. On a slightly separate note however I do think there's a moral point to consider when it comes to abortion even in cases of abuse or rape, however how far the law can or should intervene in such instances I've yet to decide or reconcile my own thoughts with.
Original post by Proconsul-Richard
'Accepting the risks' - Means consciously and freely entering into an activity, abuse and coercion wouldn't come under this scenario. I hope your friend is doing much better now shes rid of that scumbag. On a slightly separate note however I do think there's a moral point to consider when it comes to abortion even in cases of abuse or rape, however how far the law can or should intervene in such instances I've yet to decide or reconcile my own thoughts with.

She is better now and in a stable relationship. I'm not a fan of late term abortions at all, and I believe that if the baby could survive outside of the womb removing it would be murder, and if the mother must have it out of her at that point, inducing labour or something should be an option. I don't know, it just doesn't feel right. But, I definitely feel that my friend was in the right. I also feel that in cases of rape, incest, and abuse abortion should certainly be an option. I can't imagine having to give birth to the child of a rapist.

Thank you for your concern.
Reply 242
Abortion should always be an option.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending