The Student Room Group

Woman gives herself 7 abortions.

Scroll to see replies

It's not 'abortion' if the baby has been born. Such ignorance.
Original post by Huskaris
As an advocate of women's rights, I believe this woman should have had the right to do this as the last thing that should be forced on a woman in our society is having to take responsibility for her actions.

Most pathetic straw man of the week?
Reply 22
Don't really have words for this story...
I understand abortion, and I am pro choice. But by the sounds of things she has managed to carry the children almost to term - perhaps even given birth? Then killing them? Not enough information right now but it is clear that this is completely messed up...
Reply 23
As an advocate of women's rights, I believe this woman should have had the right to do this as the last thing that should be forced on a woman in our society is having to take responsibility for her actions.

I see what you did there. :awesome:
Original post by XxSophie01xX
No, there isn't.

After we have agreed on this, we can start discussing if there is a difference between ending a fully formed life, and a not fully formed life.

I think there is a difference. At least in most cases, one can sense pain, the other cannot. One has thoughts, the other one does not.
Disgusting

P.S. Welcome back :cool:
Reply 26
Original post by clh_hilary
It's not 'abortion' if the baby has been born. Such ignorance.

We don't know that.

And if she did abort how far along was her child?

Abortion is scary. :dontknow:
Original post by clh_hilary
After we have agreed on this, we can start discussing if there is a difference between ending a fully formed life, and a not fully formed life.

I think there is a difference. At least in most cases, one can sense pain, the other cannot. One has thoughts, the other one does not.

I think potentiality is a strong enough argument to ensure the not fully formed life is not killed. That life WILL inevitably form, there's no question about it, so there's really no difference.
Reply 28

Ah yes, because it is obviously comparable to abortion when she has given birth to the children. What a great opportunity to show that abortion is so flawed and is a blatant example of women not 'taking responsibility' for what they have done.

-.-

This woman gave birth to children then killed them, not once but seven times... Then she stored their bodies in boxes in her house. It isn't equivalent to abortion so you will probably have to take your thinly veiled comments somewhere else.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Mankytoes
Most pathetic straw man of the week?

I'm fishing bro.
Reply 30
She looks mentally ill.
Reply 31
Original post by Ambry
Ah yes, because it is obviously comparable to abortion when she has given birth to the children. What a great opportunity to show that abortion is so flawed and is a blatant example of women not 'taking responsibility' for what they have done.

-.-

This woman gave birth too children then killed them, it isn't equivalent to abortion so you will probably have to take your thinly veiled comments somewhere else.

I agree with abortion. It's just I don't understand how we put such a difference on ending life in the womb to ending it when it comes out. The idea behind an abortion is surely that a woman shouldn't have to put up with something that she doesn't want to have to put up with. She didn't want to have kids, so she got rid of them. A born baby is hardly much more sentient than a child which can be legally aborted (and still survive) in the womb.

This woman could have had 7 abortions and no one would have batted an eyelid on here.
Reply 32
That is not an article about abortion. They clearly use the word 'babies' multiple times. If this was to do with abortion wouldn't they use the word 'unborn foetus' or just 'foetus' for that matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
I think potentiality is a strong enough argument to ensure the not fully formed life is not killed. That life WILL inevitably form, there's no question about it, so there's really no difference.

Peter Singer would disagree :wink: I think there is a huge difference between ending a life and ending a potential life, the latter has the same impact as if the father had just worn a condom.
Reply 34
How on Earth can you hide 7 lots of morning sickness, weird cravings, limb swelling, baby bumps (granted depending on how they were lying could just look fat), waddling in the later stage, 7 labours etc..??!
If she got pregnant that many times then surely her husband touched her so how could he not notice she had a hard bump as opposed to flabby belly and what if the baby kicked? "Sorry love bad case of gas"?
What did she do in labour? Lock herself in bathroom for hours playing heavy metal full blast? How numb are the people around her? How numb is she for getting herself pregnant repeatedly and then doing this horrible thing. Once you could understand (understand not condone) but 7 times?! Beggars belief.

That's not true. It's not inevitable at all.

Having the potential to become something is not an argument.

Among women who know that they are pregnant, 15-20% of them miscarry, among undergraduates who get admitted into bachelor programmes, only 7.4% of them drop out.

So shouldn't we give undergraduates their degree certificates right after they have secured an unconditional offer? Should employers already consider them graduates?
Original post by lucaf
Peter Singer would disagree :wink: I think there is a huge difference between ending a life and ending a potential life, the latter has the same impact as if the father had just worn a condom.

Not at all - contraception can't affect any individual because it has not had the opportunity to form. A fetus is the first definite stage in a human beings development.
Reply 37
Original post by Ambry

-.-

This woman gave birth too children then killed them, it isn't equivalent to abortion so you will probably have to take your thinly veiled comments somewhere else.

We don't know that, the article doesn't have all the facts. In fact it states that they were going to send the carcasses to the medical examiner to shed some light.

Like I said above it's hard to believe that she got fully pregnant and then killed her babies not just one but all 7. You'd think someone, anyone would have noticed her growing belly. Not even her kids or even unbiased, nosy neighbours?

It seems likely that she did abort some and if so how far along was she?

It's easier for you just to brush this off as a neonatal murder and I don't really blame you. It must be hard to support abortion even when it's blatantly murder like this. Sickening, just sickening. I have no words.
Original post by Red one
We don't know that.

And if she did abort how far along was her child?

Abortion is scary.
:dontknow:

Personal, illegal abortion is. Stories like these are exactly why legal abortion is necessary. Abortion exists in every society. Legality determines whether they are generally done by a doctor, before the featus has developed, and are available to all, or whether they are generally done by someone without the medical training, often much later than necessary, with proper facilities available only to the wealthy.

People need to understand making something illegal doesn't stop it happening. It just means you can regulate and control it.
I agree with abortion. It's just I don't understand how we put such a difference on ending life in the womb to ending it when it comes out. The idea behind an abortion is surely that a woman shouldn't have to put up with something that she doesn't want to have to put up with. She didn't want to have kids, so she got rid of them. A born baby is hardly much more sentient than a child which can be legally aborted (and still survive) in the womb.

This woman could have had 7 abortions and no one would have batted an eyelid on here.

The difference is not actually at that point. No legal abortions can be performed anywhere in non-exceptional cases a day before due day.

The argument is mainly on when the fetus starts to gain conscious and/or feel pain.

Even though with that, it would still be very hypocritical for non-vegetarians to argue against abortion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending