The Student Room Group

Stupidest things you thought were facts...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by nicatre
That's almost half-correct so there is logic there.

Almost half-correct? Sorry I don't get it. :colondollar:
I thought oranges were named for their colour... It's the reverse :redface:
Reply 22
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
As a counterexample, fish have no access to carrots whatsoever. Have you ever seen a fish wearing glasses?

All fish use sonar, the eyes are receiving dishes
Reply 23
Original post by yo radical one
Lol

Of course I'm joking

Spoiler

In my defense, people have believed stupider things.(and I'm a bit gullible :colondollar:)

I just got reminded of the fact that a classmate of mine (a guy) thought that girls lost about 2 Litres of blood during their period.
Reply 24
I convinced many people that an art installation of a lift in the city centre actually belongs to a malfunctioning lift shaft that's part of the student guild underground network that utilises the old tunnels of Liverpool. The building is just under a mile away.

liverpool-one.jpeg
Oh God I still thought this was true. Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Someone I knew thought that the moon was the back of the sun. She was in top set science...
Reply 27
When we were in year 9 a girl in my class thought that: oral sex= sex and so didn't understand why women would ever want to have sex. "What's in it for the girl?"
Reply 28
When I was about 5, one of the older kids on our street told me that one of the entrance tests for joining the Army was to jump off a truck moving at 30mph.

I joined the Army at 18, and I have to admit that a small part of me was expecting a Bedford 4 tonne truck pull up outside the careers office.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 29
I used to think that night time was when the clouds hid the sun
Original post by LilacLily
I thought that Sherlock Holmes was a real person. As in he was a real person who lived in the past and solved crimes.
I feel so stupid every time I think about how I thought that was fact.

A friend of mine thought that dragons were a type of dinosaur.

It probably doesn't help either that although Sherlock Holmes is a fictional character he is still a member of the Royal Society of Chemistry, that's bound to only make things more confusing!

one.jpg
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 31
When we were in year 9 a girl in my class thought that: oral sex= sex and so didn't understand why women would ever want to have sex. "What's in it for the girl?"

I had a friend who thought that the euphemistic abbreviation for oral sex was "HP" for some reason (possibly he mixed up BJ or something), and when he went away to a summer camp, he got off with a girl and asked her for HP.
Reply 32
Original post by physicsbook
It probably doesn't help either that although Sherlock Holmes is a fictional character he is still a remember of the Royal Society of Chemistry, that's bound to only make things more confusing!

one.jpg

There was a programme on TV about how the manager of Abbey National Bank at 221 Baker Street (now Santander) receives hundreds of letters a year from people asking for help solving mysteries, and even some from worldwide law enforcement agencies.
Reply 33
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
All fish use sonar, the eyes are receiving dishes

I used to believe that sonar was received on dishes.
I thought that Sherlock Holmes was a real person. As in he was a real person who lived in the past and solved crimes.

When I was little, me and my friend used to think that astronauts could (and had) float into black holes in space and they would stay there floating for the rest of eternity in a nothingness of pitch black
Original post by Clip
There was a programme on TV about how the manager of Abbey National Bank at 221 Baker Street (now Santander) receives hundreds of letters a year from people asking for help solving mysteries, and even some from worldwide law enforcement agencies.

Wow, that's ridiculous!

I can understand somebody being confused because admittedly I was slightly confused to begin with but I only had to google to find out he was fictional. You'd think law enforcement agencies would be able to use the internet to find these things out haha, bizarre!
(edited 9 years ago)

Same.

I have another one, but I can't give it out cos I use it as my unique pick up line now. :wink:
Reply 37
That snakes lived in speed bumps
Reply 38
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
As a counterexample, fish have no access to carrots whatsoever. Have you ever seen a fish wearing glasses?

I've been throwing Carrots into the oceans all my life :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have always assumed that dragon myths were a primitve extrapolation from dinosaur fossil findings. Possibly that is a stupid thing to think, I dunno.

Until recently I thought that the words realise and realize were different and had different usages. Specifically I thought 'realise" meant "come to know" and 'realize' meant "bring about". So... 'he realised at 40 that he would never realize his political ambitions'.

The thing is that though I now know this to be only my imagining, I still think it's a distinction which does useful work and should be widely adopted.

Quick Reply

Latest