The Student Room Group

Year 12's looking at London Uni's

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Froobee
I dont think we get study leave either. What other courses do you do?

I do History, English lit, film, and theatre. I hope UCL and kings consider me strong enough because myth says they look down on my last two :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by u_lovelife
Today I have not picked up a single book...

Last week was a good start I'm on my way to finishing all my notes for biology and chemistry then I'll move on to past papers

However, I tried doing a unit 1 biology paper today and half the questions looked like gibberish to me as I didn't understand what they were asking for, so that's just stressed me out and demotivated me from continuing...

It sucks how you dont realise how tough a-levels are until you do them. How do you stay motivated?
Reply 22
Original post by Froobee
It would be worth it, having a degee from a well known uni. I guess we still have time to think about it.

There are well known universities outside London, without running up even more massive debts.

Quite a few people go home at weekends to save money, making it harder to make friends. AAccommodation costs keep rising.
Reply 23
Original post by icharliee
I do History, English lit, film, and theatre. I hope UCL and kings consider me strong enough because myth says they look down on my last two :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe email them? They might tell you something the website wont.
Reply 24
Original post by suedonim
There are well known universities outside London, without running up even more massive debts.

Quite a few people go home at weekends to save money, making it harder to make friends. AAccommodation costs keep rising.

Yeah thats true, i might end up not even going to a london uni after all.
Reply 25
Original post by Froobee
Maybe email them? They might tell you something the website wont.

I think I have before. And they said it was fine. But I don't believe them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26

I agree completely. But there is something about London... I don't know. Maybe the diversity? I just don't want to go anywhere else.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
I think I have before. And they said it was fine. But I don't believe them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol, why not?
Original post by Froobee
Yeah thats true, i might end up not even going to a london uni after all.

But studying at a University of London College (LSE, UCL, SOAS, KCL, QMUL) does have a certain prestige to it. It's recognised around the world.
Reply 29
Original post by Froobee
It sucks how you dont realise how tough a-levels are until you do them. How do you stay motivated?

Haha you're telling me, I remember the first several weeks of year 12 in September and how much of a big jump it was in gcse, but I guess we all managed to survive that as we're still here :smile:

I don't really know how I stay motivated I just think about how hard I've worked this year and how far I've gotten and how it will all be a waste if I don't revise and try my absolute best for these exams - the fact that they scrapped January exams didn't make it easier!

How about you, how's revision going?
Reply 30
Original post by adamsmithqm
But studying at a University of London College (LSE, UCL, SOAS, KCL, QMUL) does have a certain prestige to it. It's recognised around the world.

Exactly, plus london is an awesome place to stay for a few years. If you can make it in london for 3+ years i guess you'll become very independent and conscious of your spendings, etc...
Reply 31
Haha you're telling me, I remember the first several weeks of year 12 in September and how much of a big jump it was in gcse, but I guess we all managed to survive that as we're still here :smile:

I don't really know how I stay motivated I just think about how hard I've worked this year and how far I've gotten and how it will all be a waste if I don't revise and try my absolute best for these exams - the fact that they scrapped January exams didn't make it easier!

I didn't notice a jump at all - but I'm noticing it now. Which is why I'm worries. I've been cruising for far too long. Plus it doesn't help that two of my subjects are considered strong. But yeah, i'm applying to UCL, KCL and QM so one is BOUND to accept me surely. I'm just working so hard.... (Comes out with BCDE and -dies)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
I didn't notice a jump at all - but I'm noticing it now. Which is why I'm worries. I've been cruising for far too long. Plus it doesn't help that two of my subjects are considered strong. But yeah, i'm applying to UCL, KCL and QM so one is BOUND to accept me surely. I'm just working so hard.... (Comes out with BCDE and -dies)

Posted from TSR Mobile

What subjects are you doing? I do chemistry biology maths and psychology. Chemistry has been the most difficult subject for me but I've managed to get through it :smile:
Reply 33
What subjects are you doing? I do chemistry biology maths and psychology. Chemistry has been the most difficult subject for me but I've managed to get through it :smile:

See, you do strong ones!!! I do English lit, history, film and theatre. Only two "strong" ones. Though... I suppose, mine go well together just as yours do :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34

Revision for me is going *ahem* well *ahem* like sometimes im really pumped up and i'll revise for hours on end, whereas, other times i cant bring myself to open up a text book.

I honestly dont understand the logic behind scraping the January exams! It makes absolutely no sense, makes life a billion times harder for students. Especially after learning how many students end up re-doing AS because they screwed it up.
Reply 35
See, you do strong ones!!! I do English lit, history, film and theatre. Only two "strong" ones. Though... I suppose, mine go well together just as yours do :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do maths, further maths, computing and IT
Reply 36
Original post by Froobee
Revision for me is going *ahem* well *ahem* like sometimes im really pumped up and i'll revise for hours on end, whereas, other times i cant bring myself to open up a text book.

I honestly dont understand the logic behind scraping the January exams! It makes absolutely no sense, makes life a billion times harder for students. Especially after learning how many students end up re-doing AS because they screwed it up.

I'm the same. Did hours on end for 3 days. Now i've died. I just. Can't. Do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Original post by Froobee

That is me exactly - some days I could do about 6-8 hours of revision without even realizing, other days I just really can't be asked. Its like the government doesn't want us to do well so they just decided to deliberately make it more difficult by making sure there's no retakes, typical.
Reply 38

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha yeah, psychology's okay though I've been getting A's in it since the beginning of the year so its the subject I'm revising the least for this holiday.

As for my other subjects... there's a possibility of them all going wrong for me, so I need to make sure my revision is effective for those

History and English are the strong ones I'm guessing? Don't worry your subjects do all link together, you wanted to do English right? so as long as you've got an English a level I don't think it matters what the other subjects are as long as you get A's or B's in them, so make sure you do!

P.S: Seeing as you're aiming for London uni's I'd also aim for A's just to be safe, as there's a lot of competition here, especially with these private school kids :P
Reply 39
Haha yeah, psychology's okay though I've been getting A's in it since the beginning of the year so its the subject I'm revising the least for this holiday.

As for my other subjects... there's a possibility of them all going wrong for me, so I need to make sure my revision is effective for those

History and English are the strong ones I'm guessing? Don't worry your subjects do all link together, you wanted to do English right? so as long as you've got an English a level I don't think it matters what the other subjects are as long as you get A's or B's in them, so make sure you do!

P.S: Seeing as you're aiming for London uni's I'd also aim for A's just to be safe, as there's a lot of competition here, especially with these private school kids :P

I am aiming for AAAb this year and A*AAb-AAAb (might take a fourth - theatre, b) but it is sooooo difficult!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest