The Student Room Group

Offered a nannying job for £3ph..

I'm twenty, and a full time student at university offered a job for the summer nannying two children for £3. They seem fully-flexible and our schedules seem to work (when the kids are off, i'm off too!) however, offered £3ph after I said I wasn't sure how much I charged seems way too low and in a way rude. It's a lovely family, but they have said that the children do have some 'issues'. Should I text them before I have my trial saying that I'm not prepared to work for less than minimum wage as i'm learning to drive etc. I feel extremely anxious talking about money so is texting them acceptable? I don't to do a trial, pass, and then they're not willing enough to pay me.

They also seem very well off as their kids are in private school etc. I guess there's a reason for that..
There's no way I would do that, looking after kids is harder than you might think. Plus you could get a much better job for a higher wage, I get £6.87 ph working as a shelf stacker for Sainsbury's.
3 pounds?!

Are you having a laugh...

I'd expect at least £7 an hour. Especially with brats.
£3 is an absolute joke, that's half of min wage!!!
If you worked half the time anywhere else, you'd be better off. Only take it if it's relevant to your career. Don't text them to discuss money.
Original post by electriic_ink
If you worked half the time anywhere else, you'd be better off. Only take it if it's relevant to your career. Don't text them to discuss money.

That assumes there is a somewhere else.

But no harm bidding for more; their offer is likely a low-ball if there was no prior or counter proposal.
Reply 6
It's funny that you get what you pay for, and they're essentially willing to put their kids lives in someone's hands for £3ph.

Does it involve staying the night or long haul baby sitting? Maybe they're factoring in it'll involve a lot of sitting about once the kids go to bed, essentially getting paid to watch tv. Or maybe they'll let you have whatever food/drink you want at their house?

Regardless, I wouldn't do it for less than £6/£7 an hour. In a non-rude way, I'd just say "I'd love to look after your kids for you, but it's just not financially viable for me to do it for those rates".
Reply 7
Maybe they genuinely don't know how much they should pay? It's probably best to discus it in person, but I'd suggest letting them know how much minimum wage actually is.
£3/hr is way too low in my opinion. As other suggested I would call them and discuss it. Thank them for the opportunity but say that you would like at least the minimum wage for looking after the two children. £6-7/hr would be the correct rate imo.
see what's expected, for example if you're babysitting from 6pm - 11pm and the children will be in bed by 8 you dont need to charge so much from 8-11 cos you can do some uni work or something...

but yeah I would ask for more money generally, I'd do it cheaply for a family friend as a favour but not as a job! but I would really talk to them at least on the phone, you wont look very good if you just text them
Don't do it unless they're willing to pay you at least minimum wage.
Is there anything else included? For example will you be given meals while you're there, or perks such as paid trips out, possibly transport or similar?

Even if so, I would want at least minimum wage. £3 an hour is something I could earn easily as a student by doing things like surveys, matched betting heck, even a paper round would pay more, and you wouldn't have to cope with kids! And TWO children? My cousin is a child minder, and she charges £10 per child per hour, and the children are expected to bring their own packed lunches and pay for any extra trips.
They're probably laughing at you for accepting the trial....£3!!!!!

Don't you have some self respect. And looking after kids ain't easy!

That well off family are so greedy.
If you're worried about saying something to them, do the trial at £3 then after say you are willing to continue but you think you'll need to charge more than £3, then suggest something.
Is the job live-in or live-out? I think less than minimum wage is supposed to be kinda ok if they're providing you with free accomodation and food, but if not and it's a live-out role instead, then definitely ask for more money.
Original post by wonderingturtle
I'm twenty, and a full time student at university offered a job for the summer nannying two children for £3. They seem fully-flexible and our schedules seem to work (when the kids are off, i'm off too!) however, offered £3ph after I said I wasn't sure how much I charged seems way too low and in a way rude. It's a lovely family, but they have said that the children do have some 'issues'. Should I text them before I have my trial saying that I'm not prepared to work for less than minimum wage as i'm learning to drive etc. I feel extremely anxious talking about money so is texting them acceptable? I don't to do a trial, pass, and then they're not willing enough to pay me.

They also seem very well off as their kids are in private school etc. I guess there's a reason for that..

Working with kids is no easy job. I know as i work with them.
Personally, i would ask for at least minimum wage.

Quick Reply

Latest