The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

Petroleum Engineering

hi guys!
so can anyone tell me whether Portsmouth is a reputable university for PetEng?
Reply 1
I applied there as well man, and I havent heard much about it. But I think the course is accredited by Mechanical Institution, which should be good, but yeah if anyone ever graduated with Pet Eng. from Portsmouth and could share info, would be great!
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Original post by Kaguuru
hi guys!
so can anyone tell me whether Portsmouth is a reputable university for PetEng?

Portsmouth isn't good for Petroleum Engineering. It's not a particularly good university for engineering in terms of rankings, industry connections.

For undergrad Petroleum Engineering consider Manchester or Leeds.

I graduate from the Pet. Eng. course at Manchester this summer.
Reply 3
Original post by HugoDuchovny
Portsmouth isn't good for Petroleum Engineering. It's not a particularly good university for engineering in terms of rankings, industry connections.

leeds is my firm choice, but what if i dont get in there, and graduate from portsmouth, do i have good prospects? if any?
Original post by mutar5
leeds is my firm choice, but what if i dont get in there, and graduate from portsmouth, do i have good prospects? if any?

It depends on what you mean by prospects.
I can't say about prospects because I don't know what Portsmouth's graduate recruitment statistics are like.

But if you're aiming to work for companies like BP or Shell,

The facts are

-Portsmouth's Pet Eng course is the newest out of the Pet. Eng universities.
-It doesn't have established industry links with the major oil companies
-It's not a university with a strong, established reputation for Engineering

Whereas I can confidently say you are more likely to get recruited out of Manchester or Leeds by the major oil companies.
Reply 5
It depends on what you mean by prospects.
I can't say about prospects because I don't know what Portsmouth's graduate recruitment statistics are like.

But if you're aiming to work for companies like BP or Shell,

The facts are

-Portsmouth's Pet Eng course is the newest out of the Pet. Eng universities.
-It doesn't have established industry links with the major oil companies
-It's not a university with a strong, established reputation for Engineering

Whereas I can confidently say you are more likely to get recruited out of Manchester or Leeds by the major oil companies.

I am very worried about not getting AAA as required but im 10000% sure i can get AAB, what is the chance of me getting a placement through clearing if something happens and i dont get the grades? Im very scared that i might get a ridiculous paper and it will lower one of my grades down... to a B. I dont know exactly how to be secure, everyone told me that you can never be 100% certain about getting the grade, what is the best way that i can MAKE SURE i get AAA, im studying like crazy right now and trying to do everything i can to achieve them but im still very worried, any advice?
Original post by mutar5
I am very worried about not getting AAA as required but im 10000% sure i can get AAB, what is the chance of me getting a placement through clearing if something happens and i dont get the grades? Im very scared that i might get a ridiculous paper and it will lower one of my grades down... to a B. I dont know exactly how to be secure, everyone told me that you can never be 100% certain about getting the grade, what is the best way that i can MAKE SURE i get AAA, im studying like crazy right now and trying to do everything i can to achieve them but im still very worried, any advice?

All I can advise is do as many past papers as possible, learn your subjects inside out.

With regard to clearing places, it's best to call the university and ask. I can't speak for Leeds.

But try to get AAA. Students with AAA get an Engineering scholarship of £3000.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7

hey! thanks for your input!
I've gotten offers from Surrey and Manchester as well. thing is, I'm an international student and Manchester is charging around 19,000 for tuition alone. A bit steep. How's Surrey? it's PetEng program is merged with Chemical Engineering which I'm not sure is necessary
Original post by Kaguuru
hey! thanks for your input!
I've gotten offers from Surrey and Manchester as well. thing is, I'm an international student and Manchester is charging around 19,000 for tuition alone. A bit steep. How's Surrey? it's PetEng program is merged with Chemical Engineering which I'm not sure is necessary

Surrey's course is a new one. So in truth it won't have particularly strong or established links with industry.

Also I'd advise against a merged engineering programme, since PE and CE are distinct disciplines in practicality.

The choice should depend on where you intend to work.

If your target is to work as a petroleum engineer in UK or Europe, I would advise against the Surrey course simply because the harsh fact is major oil companies tend to hire from places they've always hired from and institutional reputation matters to a certain extent. Also if you intend to work in the UK/Europe your competition will be home UK/Europe students who are likely to get preference (due to visa issues and whatnot), so ideally you should have a perfect everything else in terms of studies and where you've studied.

If you're going to study here, and go back home to work with the value of a British Degree then I'd say research your home country employability criteria for petroleum engineers.
Reply 9
Surrey's course is a new one. So in truth it won't have particularly strong or established links with industry.

Also I'd advise against a merged engineering programme, since PE and CE are distinct disciplines in practicality.

The choice should depend on where you intend to work.

If your target is to work as a petroleum engineer in UK or Europe, I would advise against the Surrey course simply because the harsh fact is major oil companies tend to hire from places they've always hired from and institutional reputation matters to a certain extent. Also if you intend to work in the UK/Europe your competition will be home UK/Europe students who are likely to get preference (due to visa issues and whatnot), so ideally you should have a perfect everything else in terms of studies and where you've studied.

If you're going to study here, and go back home to work with the value of a British Degree then I'd say research your home country employability criteria for petroleum engineers.

Noted.

And are you doing the BEng ir MEng program?
Original post by Kaguuru
Noted.

And are you doing the BEng ir MEng program?

BEng
Reply 11
In terms of Engineering ( Mechanical Engineering) and other engineering UoP is good, so dont generalise , Petroleum Engineering is new course in UoP
Reply 12
BEng

So what's the atmosphere like in the Oil Companies with the recent crash and burn of Oil prices? Is Petroleum Engineering still a safe degree to choose?

Quick Reply

Latest