The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

MSc Computer Science

Any offer holders for MSc Computer Science(conversion)?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yep, I've got one. I'm slightly worried that the course isn't gonna be mathsy enough for my taste.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Original post by MrDDom23
Yep, I've got one. I'm slightly worried that the course isn't gonna be mathsy enough for my taste.

Lol, why do you think like that? :biggrin:
Reply 3
I don't know. Recently I've been looking at the syllabuses of the different courses I've applied for, and it seems like the others have significantly more Theory than Birmingham. I do think to some extent it is because the Birmingham site doesn't have a very detailed overview of each unit.
I don't know. Recently I've been looking at the syllabuses of the different courses I've applied for, and it seems like the others have significantly more Theory than Birmingham. I do think to some extent it is because the Birmingham site doesn't have a very detailed overview of each unit.

What programming language is the best preparation for a conversion masters? also what do you study now?
Reply 5

Indeed it looks like a more practical course to me too. But that's what I actually want. I wanna acquire skills that will be useful for business practices. Maybe you are looking for a more research based stuff? Where else did you apply for?
Reply 6
Original post by aeniel
Indeed it looks like a more practical course to me too. But that's what I actually want. I wanna acquire skills that will be useful for business practices. Maybe you are looking for a more research based stuff? Where else did you apply for?

I have offers from York and Warwick and i still have one more that I can apply to.
Yes! I've got a conditional offer as I'm still finishing my undergraduate degree.
Original post by JIngleton
Yes! I've got a conditional offer as I'm still finishing my undergraduate degree.

Did you apply to UCL? Or is Birmingham better for comsci. What course do you do currently?
Original post by Engineer2015
Did you apply to UCL? Or is Birmingham better for comsci. What course do you do currently?

I actually only applied to Birmingham! I really like the look of the course structure, and my research seemed to show it as being higher rated and much cheaper. I was very open minded about UCL as my sister did a degree there and still studies in London. It just didn't make sense to go to London just for the social side.

I'm currently in my 4th (masters) year studying Automotive Engineering at Loughborough, which I HATE. What is your first degree in? Do you have much computing experience?
I actually only applied to Birmingham! I really like the look of the course structure, and my research seemed to show it as being higher rated and much cheaper. I was very open minded about UCL as my sister did a degree there and still studies in London. It just didn't make sense to go to London just for the social side.

I'm currently in my 4th (masters) year studying Automotive Engineering at Loughborough, which I HATE. What is your first degree in? Do you have much computing experience?

I'm current starting my third year in Mechanical Engineering, I'm currently learning java and objective-c and have a bit of HTML knowledge. I'm in the same boat as you, i have no interest in my degree. I mean it could be worse, we could be doing a BA is sociology. At least you have that MEng on you cv.
I'm current starting my third year in Mechanical Engineering, I'm currently learning java and objective-c and have a bit of HTML knowledge. I'm in the same boat as you, i have no interest in my degree. I mean it could be worse, we could be doing a BA is sociology. At least you have that MEng on you cv.

Where are you studying Mech Eng? I had offers for that as well, But stupidly chose the Auto course. Yes I'll have an MEng, but probably with a very poor grade!

I've only done a single module using matlab in my first year, which I did very well in, but I don't think it's much of a basis for this MSc. Going to learn some Python and Java over the summer in prep.

Are you planning on going to Birmingham then?
I'm at Imperial, our course is relatively flexible we can do two non engineering modules the rest is just a an intensive mech eng degree. I'm still look at places but i want to go to UCL, don't want to stay at imperial any longer. But Birmingham is my second choice, the course does seem a bit more software engineering oriented unlike UCL.
Where are you studying Mech Eng? I had offers for that as well, But stupidly chose the Auto course. Yes I'll have an MEng, but probably with a very poor grade!

I've only done a single module using matlab in my first year, which I did very well in, but I don't think it's much of a basis for this MSc. Going to learn some Python and Java over the summer in prep.

Are you planning on going to Birmingham then?

I'm at Imperial, our course is relatively flexible we can do two non engineering modules the rest is just a an intensive mech eng degree. I'm still look at places but i want to go to UCL, don't want to stay at imperial any longer. But Birmingham is my second choice, the course does seem a bit more software engineering oriented unlike UCL.

That has been one of the main problems in my course; it's so specific and there's little flexibility.

Yes Birmingham does seem more software engineering oriented, which is why I really like the look of it. What area are you looking to work in post university?
That has been one of the main problems in my course; it's so specific and there's little flexibility.

Yes Birmingham does seem more software engineering oriented, which is why I really like the look of it. What area are you looking to work in post university?

Ideally, my aim is to start a start up in tech or work in one, I got really motivated to learn programming after watching this series on The Verge called Small Empires. The endless creative avenues you get from being able to code is appealing. I'm into robotics too, my course mainly focuses on the mechanical aspects of design, so in order from me to learn and understand the dynamics of robotics and how they are controlled i need to code. It seems a bit sensationalist, but i have nothing to lose.

How was the application procedure, any interviews?
Ideally, my aim is to start a start up in tech or work in one, I got really motivated to learn programming after watching this series on The Verge called Small Empires. The endless creative avenues you get from being able to code is appealing. I'm into robotics too, my course mainly focuses on the mechanical aspects of design, so in order from me to learn and understand the dynamics of robotics and how they are controlled i need to code. It seems a bit sensationalist, but i have nothing to lose.

No, it sounds like you've found something you're really interested in! I'm not very interested in robotics etc. personally, but the department in general seems to have a big focus on it - I think there might even be an MSc purely in robotics? I'm just looking forward to coding :cool:
How was the application procedure, any interviews?

No interview, just a simple online application.
Reply 19
how long did u have to wait for ur offer? cus im still waiting for mine (computer science) :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending