The Student Room Group

Slut shaming doesn't exist

Poll

Slut shaming! Does it really exist?

Reading an article last night, the topic of shame was discussed to which the person stated that shame is an internal feeling, something that only exists if it is there to begin with - you cannot artificially plant shame into someone, no matter how hard you try.

Then it occurred to me. Slut shaming, a term thrown around this forum, simply doesn't exist. The idea is that you are shaming people who sleep around, but in reality, shame would only be felt by the person if they think there is something inherently wrong with their actions.

Don't believe me? Here's the definition of shame:

shame
ʃeɪm/
noun

a painful feeling of humiliation or distress caused by the consciousness of wrong or foolish behaviour.

So then, slut parades etc. Are these merely the largest examples of mass deflection in recent memory? My vote is on "yes". Who else agrees?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Of course shame can be inflicted on others where it previously didn't exist. People sleight others all the time without knowing what they've done but feel ashamed when the injured party explains it to them.
Reply 2
It doesn't exist. Feminists use it instead to focus on non-issues about peoples perceptions of others

Why do I hear so much more about slut shaming compared to the mistreatment of women in saudi arabia?, answer: feminists are too scared to tackle real problems so will try to deliberately change the attitudes and preferences of certain individuals because they think they know what's best for society.
(edited 10 years ago)
Slut shaming is a term that encompasses numerous behaviours.

Unfortunately for your argument, it's not quite that literal.
Original post by Robbie242
It doesn't exist. Feminists use it instead to focus on non-issues about peoples perceptions of others

Why do I hear so much more about slut shaming compared to the mistreatment of women in saudi arabia?, answer: feminists are too scared to tackle real problems so will try to deliberately change the attitudes and preferences of certain individuals because they think they know what's best for society.

Why aren't MRAs off protesting in South Korea at compulsory military service? Why aren't they making a noise over the fact that in most Asian countries, if a couple isn't married, the father has little to no rights to his children whatsoever if the mother wishes it? Why aren't they raising the dilemma of only men having to work in certain countries?

A mystery.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Of course shame can be inflicted on others where it previously didn't exist. People sleight others all the time without knowing what they've done but feel ashamed when the injured party explains it to them.

I enjoy the countryside. No amount of people could shame me for doing what I enjoy, I would just think they are crazy. Shame is an internalized feeling that can only emerge from something that is already there.

"ah ha! I'm going to rewrite the dictionary!" *smugness*".

No, that's not how it works, and that's where I stopped reading (almost).

As for that part, the key word is "certain", not "everyone".
Reply 6
Original post by geoking
Reading an article last night, the topic of shame was discussed to which the person stated that shame is an internal feeling, something that only exists if it is there to begin with - you cannot artificially plant shame into someone, no matter how hard you try.

Then it occurred to me. Slut shaming, a term thrown around this forum, simply doesn't exist. The idea is that you are shaming people who sleep around, but in reality, shame would only be felt by the person if they think there is something inherently wrong with their actions.

Don't believe me? Here's the definition of shame:

shame
ʃeɪm/
noun

a painful feeling of humiliation or distress caused by the consciousness of wrong or foolish behaviour.

So then, slut parades etc. Are these merely the largest examples of mass deflection in recent memory? My vote is on "yes". Who else agrees?

The consciousness of wrong or foolish behaviour is completely socially constructed and so by your view you would think shame as a concept does not exist.
not only do you not understand the term slut shaming you also do not understand this definition of shame.
Reply 7
Most of the population over about 23 doesn`t really care. It`s only a hardcore of people of both sexes that continue to perpetuate it after that to suit their own agenda.
Original post by geoking
I enjoy the countryside. No amount of people could shame me for doing what I enjoy, I would just think they are crazy. Shame is an internalized feeling that can only emerge from something that is already there.

That's just a random example you've picked out of thin air with absolutely no reason why you would feel ashamed in the first place.

There are plenty of examples where someone might perform an action and feel no shame until someone else says something else.

For example, I bought an item of clothing - no shame. Friend tells me that company uses slave labour and everyone else I know boycotts them - feeling shame.
Reply 9
Original post by Georgie_M
The consciousness of wrong or foolish behaviour is completely socially constructed and so by your view you would think shame as a concept does not exist.
not only do you not understand the term slut shaming you also do not understand this definition of shame.

No, ultimately it is you who has to decide what is or is not shameful, and it still is a personal feeling, one which cannot be placed in you from external sources. Can someone make you ashamed for sleeping on a mattress? Or eating bread?
Reply 10
Wow. Projection at its finest.

You literally ignored where I said:
"As for that part, the key word is "certain", not "everyone"."
Reply 11
Original post by Viva Emptiness
That's just a random example you've picked out of thin air with absolutely no reason why you would feel ashamed in the first place.

There are plenty of examples where someone might perform an action and feel no shame until someone else says something else.

For example, I bought an item of clothing - no shame. Friend tells me that company uses slave labour and everyone else I know boycotts them - feeling shame.

@bold Exactly. Why is what you said not applicable to being a slut? :cool:

That example however is adding facts after the action. That is not what happens with alleged "slut shaming". The argument isn't to do with accidentally sleeping with married men/women....:confused:
You're just being pedantic about word choices
Reply 13
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
You're just being pedantic about word choices

No - if you remove shame from the equation it's just a protest to do with deflection and denial.
Original post by geoking
No, ultimately it is you who has to decide what is or is not shameful, and it still is a personal feeling, one which cannot be placed in you from external sources. Can someone make you ashamed for sleeping on a mattress? Or eating bread?

Let me explain this in simple terms.
Catholics often feel guilty for masturbating. They were not born with this inherent feeling of guilt they were taught to feel guilty and ashamed.

Morals (ie things that make you feel shame) are not innate human characteristics they are socially constructed. If being a slut was inherently shameful then everyone would feel ashamed but there are some societies where women have many partners without feeling shame because they are not taught that is a shameful act.

Do you understand?
Reply 15
Maybe not. But being horrible, insulting, jealous, hypocritical and intolerant does.
Original post by Meyrin
And quickly dies out, due to lack of breeding. :lol:

This post in the context of this thread is absolute magic.
Original post by geoking
No - if you remove shame from the equation it's just a protest to do with deflection and denial.

A more accurate way would be trying to shame promiscuous women, but it doesn't have the same sound
Original post by Georgie_M
Let me explain this in simple terms.
Catholics often feel guilty for masturbating. They were not born with this inherent feeling of guilt they were taught to feel guilty and ashamed.

Morals (ie things that make you feel shame) are not innate human characteristics they are socially constructed. If being a slut was inherently shameful then everyone would feel ashamed but there are some societies where women have many partners without feeling shame because they are not taught that is a shameful act.

Do you understand?

Out of rep but this this
What point are you trying to make exactly?

I could just as easily use this definition of shame:

1. A painful emotion caused by a strong sense of guilt, embarrassment, unworthiness, or disgrace.

To say that slut shaming does exist; people can cause embarrassment to others, no?

Latest