The Student Room Group

I want to do a masters degree but I am concerned that I am not smart enough!

Sounds like you're going to have confidence issues no matter where you go. My suggestion would be to deal with those immediately. No job, degree, girlfriend, (insert other status symbol here) are going to fill the void inside of you. If you look to the external world to fill that void then you're constantly going to be disappointed.

On a less philosophical level, I wouldn't worry about your level of intelligence in a masters program. There's plenty of "stupid" people that get degrees (and plenty of smart people who don't). It's statistically unlikely that you're going to be the "dumbest" person in your course. More realistically everyone, including yourself, will have certain strengths and weaknesses. That's how life works; a masters program is no different.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by thechairman66
Sounds like you're going to have confidence issues no matter where you go. My suggestion would be to deal with those immediately. No job, degree, girlfriend, (insert other status symbol here) are going to fill the void inside of you. If you look to the external world to fill that void then you're constantly going to be disappointed.

On a less philosophical level, I wouldn't worry about your level of intelligence in a masters program. There's plenty of "stupid" people that get degrees (and plenty of smart people who don't). It's statistically unlikely that you're going to be the "dumbest" person in your course. More realistically everyone, including yourself, will have certain strengths and weaknesses. That's how life works; a masters program is no different.

Thank you. That helps so much
A masters is a natural step up from a degree. It felt like a forth year on top of my undergraduate degree to be honest (which I guess it is in a way).

Do a masters degree for the right reasons. Think about what it will give you and don't make decisions because you want escapism or are trying to fill a void.

If you feel you chose the wrong subject for you at undergraduate level then a postgraduate degree can be a constructive way to rectify that if you feel you need to study a particular subject to be able to find work doing something you actually do want to do.
Reply 3
Original post by laurakate1988
A masters is a natural step up from a degree. It felt like a forth year on top of my undergraduate degree to be honest (which I guess it is in a way).

Do a masters degree for the right reasons. Think about what it will give you and don't make decisions because you want escapism or are trying to fill a void.

If you feel you chose the wrong subject for you at undergraduate level then a postgraduate degree can be a constructive way to rectify that if you feel you need to study a particular subject to be able to find work doing something you actually do want to do.

Thank you for the advice. What was the subject area that you did your masters in?

Original post by Obiejess
So if someone has alzheimers is that just another way of saying 'forgetful'. Your point is invalid, and I think you suffer from 'intellectual insufficiency' and socially inept if you are unable to see just how backwards and disgraceful your comments are.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you.
Reply 4
Anybody else?
Original post by Kasa
Anybody else?

My BA was in Drama and then I went straight onto doing an MA in Music. Four years after finishing Music I am now hoping to take up my offer of MSc Food. Notably, doing a Masters degree on both occasions has been about taking on a different subject for me.

Academic study doesn't come naturally to me but I can get through it (touch wood) by working hard.
Reply 6
Original post by laurakate1988
My BA was in Drama and then I went straight onto doing an MA in Music. Four years after finishing Music I am now hoping to take up my offer of MSc Food. Notably, doing a Masters degree on both occasions has been about taking on a different subject for me.

Academic study doesn't come naturally to me but I can get through it (touch wood) by working hard.

Sounds great! What are you doing now
Reply 7
Anybody else?
Original post by Kasa
My grades throughout my academic history have been decidedly average and it was my degree where they hit rock bottom.

A barrage of re-sits saved my a-levels from total mediocrity but my degree -- which was the wrong choice -- showed off just how fabulously awful my marks are.

I do suffer some mild learning disabilities that help mitigate the poorer grades. I am three years older than when did my undergraduate degree and have matured a lot.

I have had some issues in the workplace, where I have been rejected from score loads of interviews and have struggled to maintain jobs. Hence, i don’t want a masters to be my escapism for my flagging career.

A masters isn't going to solve your issues in the workplace, remember its only for one year. I'm not saying don't do one but you need to address your issues with the workplace as well because your going to have to go back into it after. Maybe try volunteering first to get your confidence up? And if you do decide to do a masters make sure you get help and support to avoid making the same mistakes, without wanting to sound harsh there is no point doing a masters if you'll get a mediocre grade again, especially as you usually have to pay most or all of the cost from your own pocket.

You also need to make sure you access
Reply 9
Original post by jelly1000
A masters isn't going to solve your issues in the workplace, remember its only for one year. I'm not saying don't do one but you need to address your issues with the workplace as well because your going to have to go back into it after. Maybe try volunteering first to get your confidence up? And if you do decide to do a masters make sure you get help and support to avoid making the same mistakes, without wanting to sound harsh there is no point doing a masters if you'll get a mediocre grade again, especially as you usually have to pay most or all of the cost from your own pocket.

You also need to make sure you access

Thank you for the advice, very helpful. I have done volunteering for a while and it has not really got me anywhere. Have you done a masters?
Original post by Kasa
Thank you for the advice, very helpful. I have done volunteering for a while and it has not really got me anywhere. Have you done a masters?

I'm going to be starting one in September.
Reply 11
I'm going to be starting one in September.

What in?
Original post by Kasa
What in?

International Public Policy, Regulation and Competition. Ideally I want to work for a think tank and you need a masters for that (plus experience, its important to point out that a masters doesn't take away from the need for experience)
Reply 13
International Public Policy, Regulation and Competition. Ideally I want to work for a think tank and you need a masters for that (plus experience, its important to point out that a masters doesn't take away from the need for experience)

Coolness. Good luck
Original post by Kasa
Coolness. Good luck

thanks, you too
i don't think there's such a thing as not being smart enough to get your masters, i think a lot of it is down to hard work and determination :smile:
also if you have other needs then the uni can always help you with this .. i wouldn't let anything stop you from doing what you want to do to progress in your career ! i know lots of people that only just got a 2:1 and went on to do their masters and got average grades but got into their chosen career
X
Reply 16
Original post by smileyx123x
i don't think there's such a thing as not being smart enough to get your masters, i think a lot of it is down to hard work and determination :smile:
also if you have other needs then the uni can always help you with this .. i wouldn't let anything stop you from doing what you want to do to progress in your career ! i know lots of people that only just got a 2:1 and went on to do their masters and got average grades but got into their chosen career
X

Thanks for the advice. I remember putting in so much work into my degree but getting nothing in return, other than laughably poor grades and relentless mediocrity when compared with fellow students (all of who knew it and treated me like dirt).

What masters did your friends do?
Original post by Kasa
Thanks for the advice. I remember putting in so much work into my degree but getting nothing in return, other than laughably poor grades and relentless mediocrity when compared with fellow students (all of who knew it and treated me like dirt).

What masters did your friends do?

:frown: it's difficult.. i put a lot of effort into mine too and when i didn't do as well as i thought i did in some exams it really is the most frustrating thing !! Everyone learns differently and that's something not everyone understands, i'm sure those other students are ****holes :tongue:
they did english literature and health psychology.. they got ok grades, but really most masters are 1 year so as long as you put your best effort in and use the help in the uni, i think you'll be fine !
X
Original post by thechairman66

Hi

I wish to do finish of my masters while I'm still young. But I've got suggestions that it would be much better if i continue working so I'll easily get a top uni for my masters.

But following the latter step will take at least 3 years and that would mean I won't be young when I start my masters....?

Thanks for reading
Reply 19
Original post by smileyx123x
:frown: it's difficult.. i put a lot of effort into mine too and when i didn't do as well as i thought i did in some exams it really is the most frustrating thing !! Everyone learns differently and that's something not everyone understands, i'm sure those other students are ****holes :tongue:
they did english literature and health psychology.. they got ok grades, but really most masters are 1 year so as long as you put your best effort in and use the help in the uni, i think you'll be fine !
X

Thanks!!

What did you do your masters in?

Latest