The Student Room Group

Would British students who complained to OIA have been better off Studying Abroad?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lumberjack 101

After reading this thread i`m reminded of Greys law: "Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice"

Parker Merchanting and Eyre & Newey are both companies in the Rexel Group. The number quoted isn't a published switchboard number. It is almost certainly a line used by a Rexel Group office or employee, where incoming calls are diverted to the switchboard of the relevant group company at the time. When asked whether the number has always been their number, the telephonist is answering for the published switchboard number because she is unaware that incoming calls to the number in question are being diverted to that switchboard.

The number supposedly given for the policeman DC Brayshaw was 0113 205 9083. That officer is based in Pudsey

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/local/district/district_bradford/district_bradford_east/district_bradford_east_farsley/4245567.Bogus_milkman_targets_99_year_old_disabled__woman/?ref=rss

Another officer based in Pudsey is PC Lucy Hooker

http://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/news/appeal-robbery-low-lane-horsforth

In 2010 PC Hooker's phone number was 0113 205 3093

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/latest-news/top-stories/ring-owner-hunted-1-2251602

Which is more likely:-

(a) that DC Brayshaw was using either 0113 205 3093 or 0113 205 3083 and by error on either his part or the OP's, the OP mistakenly noted the number as 0113 205 9083; an internal or private line number used by an employee of Rexel Group which in 2008 diverted to the Rexel Group subsidiary switchboard of Newey & Eyre and in 2010 diverted to the Rexel Group subsidiary switchboard of Parker Merchanting; or

(b) that West Yorkshire Police were engaged in a criminal conspiracy with Sheffield Hallam University to deprive the OP of her rightful degree.
Original post by nulli tertius
Parker Merchanting and Eyre & Newey are both companies in the Rexel Group. The number quoted isn't a published switchboard number. It is almost certainly a line used by a Rexel Group office or employee, where incoming calls are diverted to the switchboard of the relevant group company at the time. When asked whether the number has always been their number, the telephonist is answering for the published switchboard number because she is unaware that incoming calls to the number in question are being diverted to that switchboard.

The number supposedly given for the policeman DC Brayshaw was 0113 205 9083. That officer is based in Pudsey

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/local/district/district_bradford/district_bradford_east/district_bradford_east_farsley/4245567.Bogus_milkman_targets_99_year_old_disabled__woman/?ref=rss

Another officer based in Pudsey is PC Lucy Hooker

http://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/news/appeal-robbery-low-lane-horsforth

In 2010 PC Hooker's phone number was 0113 205 3093

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/latest-news/top-stories/ring-owner-hunted-1-2251602

Which is more likely:-

(a) that DC Brayshaw was using either 0113 205 3093 or 0113 205 3083 and by error on either his part or the OP's, the OP mistakenly noted the number as 0113 205 9083; an internal or private line number used by an employee of Rexel Group which in 2008 diverted to the Rexel Group subsidiary switchboard of Newey & Eyre and in 2010 diverted to the Rexel Group subsidiary switchboard of Parker Merchanting; or

(b) that West Yorkshire Police were engaged in a criminal conspiracy with Sheffield Hallam University to deprive the OP of her rightful degree.

Wow, that quite a bit of detective work there! And yes I would agree that IMHO (a) is the more probable.
Reply 62
Original post by Megajules
Ronove...answer my questions, or go away. You don't deserve a response unless you are going to think. I don't care if you were in bed reading Game of Thrones, why do you think it matters to me what you are reading?

Your question is irrelevant until you adequately explain the circumstances that actually happened. But here's some food for thought: Why do you think that 96 people died at Hillsborough and an entire police force spent 25 years lying about it?

You insinuated I was shying away from responding to your posts, when they were posted at times that it is quite normal to expect that people are in bed and not on TSR. I pointed out that I was reading because I thought you would accuse me of sleeping an unusual length of time otherwise.

I don't need to answer your questions because I can deem your questions entirely irrelevant by going from the other end of the rope as it were, asking why and how on Earth you think a university lecturer would have caused these things to happen.

1. Why did the detective ring me, and not my daughter who had lived in Leeds for over six years at this time?

Might have something to do with the fact that there is only person of your daughter's name on www.192.com and that person has only one address recorded and that address is yours. :smile:
Reply 64
Might have something to do with the fact that there is only person of your daughter's name on www.192.com and that person has only one address recorded and that address is yours. :smile:

Well, yes that is quite a bit of detective work. However:
1. Lucy Hooker was never involved in any communications with me, so what you have established is that this force use a number similar to the one I gave for the detective. Yes I know!

2. I asked the switchboard on that day to confirm the number that I had been given by the detective, and they wouldn't. That is why she asked me to ask my daughter to ring them.

3. On the morning of my viva, I was told that my daughter was involved in a murder enquiry, and was unable to confirm any details for over an hour, after which I had to attend a viva, where I was then accused out of nowhere of cheating.

4. You have been given all of the information that I have collected over five or six years. It is not the information that I had when I entered that viva, or for a long time afterwards. I had people involved in that viva refusing to acknowledge what had just happened, or the distress that had been caused to me by it. While it is possible that you may be right about your findings here, I find your smug a or b question about my understanding of the situation at the time when it happened to be quite offensive!

5. I'm interested to know where you got the information about the calling setup for Newey & Eyre and Parkers.
Reply 65

However, I meant to add that I am very grateful for your explanation, as it does seem to clear up the probable reason for where the detective would get an address from, even if not how he put a name to the photo in the first place.

Also, your point at b is erroneous, since it would not be West Yorkshire Police engaging in criminal activity, but merely one of their detectives,
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 66
... an internal or private line number used by an employee of Rexel Group which in 2008 diverted to the Rexel Group subsidiary switchboard of Newey & Eyre and in 2010 diverted to the Rexel Group subsidiary switchboard of Parker Merchanting;

This bit is also erroneous. It may have diverted to Newey & Eyre in 2008, but in 2010, it did not divert to anywhere, I spoke to the person who I presume was a switchboard operator. I asked to speak to det. Brayshaw, and was told that I had reached a call centre. I was not told that the call centre was attached to a particular business.

It was less than a year ago when I again called and was connected to Parkers.

So, why didn't the call centre connect me to a Rexel subsidiary, without any dialogue as seems to be the arrangement you are implying?
Well, yes that is quite a bit of detective work. However:
1. Lucy Hooker was never involved in any communications with me, so what you have established is that this force use a number similar to the one I gave for the detective. Yes I know!

In modern phone systems telephone numbers come in groups. My office private line number is the next number to the person is the next office etc etc. Obviously I didn't go googling for the policewoman. Once I traced the officer who dealt with you I went googling to find links for the number and that newspaper article came up.

2. I asked the switchboard on that day to confirm the number that I had been given by the detective, and they wouldn't. That is why she asked me to ask my daughter to ring them.

That sounds like a standard precaution from a switchboard of an organisation handling confidential information.

3. On the morning of my viva, I was told that my daughter was involved in a murder enquiry, and was unable to confirm any details for over an hour, after which I had to attend a viva, where I was then accused out of nowhere of cheating.

That is a pure coincidence.

4. You have been given all of the information that I have collected over five or six years. It is not the information that I had when I entered that viva, or for a long time afterwards. I had people involved in that viva refusing to acknowledge what had just happened, or the distress that had been caused to me by it. While it is possible that you may be right about your findings here,

You may have been distressed (reasonably so) by the thought that in some way your daughter was mixed up in a murder. That may have impacted on your performance in the viva. However, effect cannot create cause. Because you were adversely affected doesn't provide any evidence of conspiracy.

I find your smug a or b question about my understanding of the situation at the time when it happened to be quite offensive!

Again, your belief that there was a conspiracy at the time (no matter how reasonable that conclusion was on the limited information you had) can't create the conspiracy. The conspiracy either existed or it didn't. Once you have more information, the only rational answer, is that it didn't.

5. I'm interested to know where you got the information about the calling setup for Newey & Eyre and Parkers.

I don't have any information about the calling set up of these two companies. I didn't even know of their connection (I only knew of the existence of Newey & Eyre) until I went googling. I am familiar as a business customer with the way in which medium and large organisations set up complex modern communications systems. You don't want numbers to ring dead if staff leave, and you don't want certain types of employees' phones simply to divert to voicemail.

However if you want to link me into a conspiracy, I was standing outside Pudsey police station two weeks ago having not been within 15 miles of the place for more than 5 years.:tongue:
Reply 68
temporarily edited.
(edited 10 years ago)
This bit is also erroneous. It may have diverted to Newey & Eyre in 2008, but in 2010, it did not divert to anywhere, I spoke to the person who I presume was a switchboard operator. I asked to speak to det. Brayshaw, and was told that I had reached a call centre. I was not told that the call centre was attached to a particular business.

It was less than a year ago when I again called and was connected to Parkers.

So, why didn't the call centre connect me to a Rexel subsidiary, without any dialogue as seems to be the arrangement you are implying?

I literally don't know. Newey appears not to have a tele-sales arm. Parkers does.

A main phone number with a big round number suggests a lot of private lines in series

http://www.rexel.co.uk/parkermerchanting-headoffice.php
Reply 70
Could somebody link me the documentation to this case? Sounds interesting :smile:
Reply 71
In modern phone systems telephone numbers come in groups. My office private line number is the next number to the person is the next office etc etc. Obviously I didn't go googling for the policewoman. Once I traced the officer who dealt with you I went googling to find links for the number and that newspaper article came up.

That sounds like a standard precaution from a switchboard of an organisation handling confidential information.

That is a pure coincidence.

You may have been distressed (reasonably so) by the thought that in some way your daughter was mixed up in a murder. That may have impacted on your performance in the viva. However, effect cannot create cause. Because you were adversely affected doesn't provide any evidence of conspiracy.

Sorry, but there you go again. I have not once mentioned conspiracy! NOT ONCE!! What I have said are words to the effect that this happened, that nobody has an explanation for it, and that nobody is acknowledging that it happened, and are in fact denying that it happened, and yet it impacted on the events of that day.

[QUOTE="tertius;47199860" nulli="nulli"]Again, your belief that there was a conspiracy at the time (no matter how reasonable that conclusion was on the limited information you had) can't create the conspiracy. The conspiracy either existed or it didn't. Once you have more information, the only rational answer, is that it didn't.[\QUOTE]

Sorry, but ONCE AGAIN, the belief in the conspiracy thing is being attached to me! I have required people to accept what just happened to me. They refused to acknowledge it, yet I had my honesty and integrity, as well as my ability assessed that day based on my performance in that viva. How is this something that everyone can just say "Phone call, no we don't know anything about a suspicious phone call!" to, without assessing the consequences for me that day?

However if you want to link me into a conspiracy, I was standing outside Pudsey police station two weeks ago having not been within 15 miles of the place for more than 5 years.:tongue:

Yeah, hilarious! Which number did you dial? :tongue:

You should string together the number of coincidences that I was being asked to believe, and see how funny that sounds!
Reply 72
Original post by samba
Could somebody link me the documentation to this case? Sounds interesting :smile:

Samba, this is a whole side issue of my case, which was just one of many. The main detail of my case was that I was accused of cheating by the university, but it was done in such a way that I was unaware of the accusation, the detail of the accusation or the accuser, until well over a year after the event. I was accused at a viva, which was never a part of the cheating procedures or the assessment procedures for my course, and as a result was denied representation. I was 'allowed' to graduate, but my mark was reduced from what should have been a first class mark to a 2.1. (The university denies this)

The details are on my website, (though they are incomplete, there is enough there for you to see the gist of my case. You have the whole of the stage 2 complaint file there, and the OIA's decision documents. http://www.juliemeese.com/DT/
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by samba
:lolwut:

Honestly, given your cognitive ability and attitude, you'd have been better having an advocate represent you, both during the internal complaints procedure and the OIA one.

Although it is very easy to spend someone else's money (perhaps money they don't have), I agree with this. The problem and I see this as the recipient of such material, is that it is all very well, saying that one has a process that a layperson should be able to deal with; but it assumes that the lay person is able to discriminate between the material and the immaterial. However much one says that a complaints body should read and consider everything, get a 17 page letter and the eyes will glaze over. 2 pages with the key points are far better; but how do you ensure that the two pages are the key points?

Just look at the recent posts on this thread. There is clearly something that was relevant to the OP's performance at the viva. She had just before the viva been left hanging with the suggestion that her daughter had been involved in some way in a murder case. That needed to have red stars around it. This was no way to prepare for an important meeting. However, I have no confidence at all that the complaints authority and the OIA understood the significance of this with all the business of telephone numbers and the like. They may well have thought the OP was in La-la land and had made the whole thing up.

What the OP may not realise is that the demolition job I have just done on her conspiracy theory, actually improves her credibility. If I say I've just seen a UFO, you might think I'm making it up. You might think that I am deluded. However, once you realise that there is a factory making drones just down the road from where I saw the UFO, you are much more likely to think that I have mistaken a drone than invented a UFO or seen a real UFO
Reply 74
Although it is very easy to spend someone else's money (perhaps money they don't have), I agree with this. The problem and I see this as the recipient of such material, is that it is all very well, saying that one has a process that a layperson should be able to deal with; but it assumes that the lay person is able to discriminate between the material and the immaterial. However much one says that a complaints body should read and consider everything, get a 17 page letter and the eyes will glaze over. 2 pages with the key points are far better; but how do you ensure that the two pages are the key points?

Just look at the recent posts on this thread. There is clearly something that was relevant to the OP's performance at the viva. She had just before the viva been left hanging with the suggestion that her daughter had been involved in some way in a murder case. That needed to have red stars around it. This was no way to prepare for an important meeting. However, I have no confidence at all that the complaints authority and the OIA understood the significance of this with all the business of telephone numbers and the like. They may well have thought the OP was in La-la land and had made the whole thing up.

What the OP may not realise is that the demolition job I have just done on her conspiracy theory, actually improves her credibility. If I say I've just seen a UFO, you might think I'm making it up. You might think that I am deluded. However, once you realise that there is a factory making drones just down the road from where I saw the UFO, you are much more likely to think that I have mistaken a drone than invented a UFO or seen a real UFO

I actually edited that post out until I've read the facts of the case :smile: I'm going to take a look, and possibly advise as relevant, if I'm competent to do so.
Reply 75
Original post by Lumberjack 101
Wow, that quite a bit of detective work there! And yes I would agree that IMHO (a) is the more probable.

Thanks for the document, it's very interesting.
Reply 76

Thank you! I understand that, and appreciate it.

And Samba, although I realise that you withdrew your post, your first impression is a clear indicator of what these liars have done to my credibility, when I can't even tell a true story as I have experienced it, without being judged in the way you judged me. It is a credit to you that you then stood back from your remark and withheld your opinion until you were better informed. If everyone gave me that luxury, I'd be a much happier person today!
Reply 77
There's nothing suspect about it, Ronove. Your line of questioning all along has been to attempt to prove some mental illness or other inferiority on my part, and your questioning, that might otherwise have been valid (and therefore answered), has lacked solid reasoning. I presented to you a set of facts. These facts were what I experienced. I experienced those things whether or not you like that, and my account of my experience was honest and as far as I am able to give it, reasonably complete. I had new answers given today by people who weren't attempting to rubbish me as a person, but who were also giving the truth as they saw it. However, when someone starts out by declaring me to be mentally ill and then proceeds to question me in a tone based on their perceived superiority, which itself is based on that supposed mental illness, then that someone should not be surprised if I respond scathingly.

In summary, had you not taken that tone with me, I might have been happy to answer your questions. That, after all was the reason I posted.

I do however accept your apology, and if you want to re-frame your questions without in any way alluding to my mental illness, then I may consider answering them. You have made that quite difficult for me though.

My only real question is this: do you believe that there is any kind of link between the event before your viva (the phone call about the murder investigation), and the viva/the university officials conducting said viva?
Reply 78
This is what I believe:

The explanations that I have been given today are plausible, and are the only plausible explanations that anyone has ever given me about what happened that day. I therefore am reasonably certain that they are a true account of what, unbeknown to me, was happening. However:

I believe that the university, specifically the people who were accusing me at that viva, should have responded appropriately to what I told them on that day, pre-viva. They were clearly so wrapped up in catching me out that they didn't even respond to the events that I experienced. I had not been told of any of the reasons for that viva happening, and it became more confusing as it progressed, because of that. I am a very perceptive person, and if something is not right I can feel it straight away. The problem is that having that gut feeling only tells you that something is not right, it doesn't tell you WHAT is not right. And therein lies the problem.

So, my perception on that day, going forward was that, someone had implicated my daughter in a murder enquiry, and someone had accused me of something I hadn't done. Those people also did not respond in a way that I expected them to when I told them of the morning's events. I don't know anyone else who has experienced that, so I have no other event to compare it with, but I would have expected curiosity, perhaps a bit of shock, but certainly not a total non-response. So, I did what anyone would do, I found the response suspect. My later challenge to the first marker, should have at least elicited a "don't be stupid, Julie, why on earth would I do that?" But I got nothing! So, yes, I believed back then that something untoward was happening. (and I was right, they were acting unlawfully.) It was a short leap from that point to also believe that they had instigated that phone call, which at that time still didn't add up!

Of course, you want to know do I still believe that. The answer is, probably not. Though I do hold them responsible for my belief, because it isn't as far-fetched as you would like to believe.

Before the viva, I was put into a room and left there for perhaps 15 or 20 minutes (it might have been less, as time is relative to the situation.) However, there was no valid reason for making me wait in a room at all. The viva had been booked for a certain time, and that is when it should have started. There were no preparations that needed to be made in terms of equipment etc. The emails that I obtained by SAR showed that the second marker, who I found later had been the one to accuse me, had wanted to "discuss it" first for 20 minutes. I think that was the reason I was sidelined at the start. In all of that time, all I had to think about was "what the hell is going on!"

Now, six years later, and until this thread, nobody from the university has attempted to explain that response, or attempted to explain to me what might have happened. It's easy for you to be judge and jury, because you got all of this information at one time. I got it piece by piece over six years. When I was accused, I was deeply, deeply distressed. At the end of the viva, I was told that I'd "done well". I didn't know what that meant. I believed it meant that I had been cleared. But when I rang the university a week later when they STILL hadn't responded by giving me a final mark, I was told "well, people who have been accused of cheating can't expect to have the same treatment as those who haven't." And this was AFTER I was supposed to have been found innocent. So, you see, it was like living in Franz Kafka's "The Trial" for me. It was ongoing and never ending. Or at least, I couldn't trust where the end was, because they didn't seem to know either!

After that, they gave me a mark, didn't explain any of what had just gone on. I was still in the dark, mind working overtime about what just happened...and they thought they were just going to walk away from it. And that's exactly what they did, for a whole six months or more, until I complained. (I'd tried to complain at the time but they just buried it (I have the emails to prove that.)

So, does that answer your question?
Reply 79
This is what I believe:

The explanations that I have been given today are plausible, and are the only plausible explanations that anyone has ever given me about what happened that day. I therefore am reasonably certain that they are a true account of what, unbeknown to me, was happening. However:

I believe that the university, specifically the people who were accusing me at that viva, should have responded appropriately to what I told them on that day, pre-viva. They were clearly so wrapped up in catching me out that they didn't even respond to the events that I experienced. I had not been told of any of the reasons for that viva happening, and it became more confusing as it progressed, because of that. I am a very perceptive person, and if something is not right I can feel it straight away. The problem is that having that gut feeling only tells you that something is not right, it doesn't tell you WHAT is not right. And therein lies the problem.

So, my perception on that day, going forward was that, someone had implicated my daughter in a murder enquiry, and someone had accused me of something I hadn't done. Those people also did not respond in a way that I expected them to when I told them of the morning's events. I don't know anyone else who has experienced that, so I have no other event to compare it with, but I would have expected curiosity, perhaps a bit of shock, but certainly not a total non-response. So, I did what anyone would do, I found the response suspect. My later challenge to the first marker, should have at least elicited a "don't be stupid, Julie, why on earth would I do that?" But I got nothing! So, yes, I believed back then that something untoward was happening. (and I was right, they were acting unlawfully.) It was a short leap from that point to also believe that they had instigated that phone call, which at that time still didn't add up!

Of course, you want to know do I still believe that. The answer is, probably not. Though I do hold them responsible for my belief, because it isn't as far-fetched as you would like to believe.

Before the viva, I was put into a room and left there for perhaps 15 or 20 minutes (it might have been less, as time is relative to the situation.) However, there was no valid reason for making me wait in a room at all. The viva had been booked for a certain time, and that is when it should have started. There were no preparations that needed to be made in terms of equipment etc. The emails that I obtained by SAR showed that the second marker, who I found later had been the one to accuse me, had wanted to "discuss it" first for 20 minutes. I think that was the reason I was sidelined at the start. In all of that time, all I had to think about was "what the hell is going on!"

Now, six years later, and until this thread, nobody from the university has attempted to explain that response, or attempted to explain to me what might have happened. It's easy for you to be judge and jury, because you got all of this information at one time. I got it piece by piece over six years. When I was accused, I was deeply, deeply distressed. At the end of the viva, I was told that I'd "done well". I didn't know what that meant. I believed it meant that I had been cleared. But when I rang the university a week later when they STILL hadn't responded by giving me a final mark, I was told "well, people who have been accused of cheating can't expect to have the same treatment as those who haven't." And this was AFTER I was supposed to have been found innocent. So, you see, it was like living in Franz Kafka's "The Trial" for me. It was ongoing and never ending. Or at least, I couldn't trust where the end was, because they didn't seem to know either!

After that, they gave me a mark, didn't explain any of what had just gone on. I was still in the dark, mind working overtime about what just happened...and they thought they were just going to walk away from it. And that's exactly what they did, for a whole six months or more, until I complained. (I'd tried to complain at the time but they just buried it (I have the emails to prove that.)

So, does that answer your question?

Absolutely, and I can definitely understand your thought process. Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending