The Student Room Group

Bart's or Southampton?

I've been fortunate enough to have received two offers : one from Bart's & The London, and another from Southampton.

I'm really having difficulty deciding which one I'd like to firm and so I was wondering if any of you had any advice or insight regarding either medical school?

Any comparison/pros/cons of either medical school would be great, or even just telling me which one you would choose and why!

Many thanks in advance,

ConnellM
Reply 1
Got to be Barts! London is an amazing city and despite what people say about student experience I know loads who go there and absolutely love it so why not. It's pricey compared to Southampton but you get a bigger loan so that's not really a problem, as a doctor money isn't going to be super tight and London teaching hospitals can't be rivalled in the UK

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Barts hands down
Reply 3
Thank you both for your feedback; I really appreciate it!

I think I am leaning towards Bart's anyway now :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by ConnellM
Thank you both for your feedback; I really appreciate it!

I think I am leaning towards Bart's anyway now :smile:

Well done on your offers. I am in similar position to you in thst I have been offered UCL and Southampton. My offer for UCL is for 2015 yet despite that I have Firmed them as I believe a London medical will be a better place to study. So I would go to Barts if I were you as it is an excellent medical school and London is a great place to live and study.:smile:
Reply 5
If you like Barts better, go there. But don't get swayed by people talking about prestige or how awesome the big London hospitals are - this is irrelevant. I also think London is overrated for student life; most students at other universities still manage to have a great time for less money, but if Barts is what you want then go for it!
Reply 6
Barts but I agree with the above, London isn't that great for student life. But I definitely agree with Barts
Reply 7
Original post by KA125
Barts but I agree with the above, London isn't that great for student life. But I definitely agree with Barts

I asked some London students and they insist they have a great time so I wouldn't worry about it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by em.d_4
I asked some London students and they insist they have a great time so I wouldn't worry about it

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't worry, I'm at a london uni :P, I love London anyway, but I know some people disagree with that in terms of 'student life', but I didn't come for student life!
The student life in London doesn't HAVE to stay in your university union! London has AMAZING things to do, and there are often loads of student deals to capitalise on with your NUS card or whatever. Loads of discounted student prices to theatres in Central London, loads of student nights out in places other than your university union (literally SO many), and there's just so much you can do with sites like this that exist - it's really hard to get bored here! Oh and the RSM and BMA are basically based in London - free printing/tea/posted book loans to your home as a member of the BMA Library (£30 or something a year), and apart from the RSM having a pretty decent library in Central London too, they also put on loads of medicine related events you can go to, some of which are free!

I was contemplating going out of London for F1/2, but I don't want to leave London purely for the social life I know I'll have here (I know junior doctors outside London also have loads of cheap fun/get arguably better experiences/bond a lot more so who knows, I may change my mind). Granted, London is more expensive than other parts of the UK, but you just have to budget and spend sensibly here - apart from a stint in Essex for my part of my schooling, I'm a born and bred Londoner and I love it - I am (just about) surviving financially so far! It's possible. :p:

Oh, and Barts > Southampton! :wink:

Clearly, I heart London :ninja:
Reply 10
I'm in the same position as the OP....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending