The Student Room Group

2014 Volkswagen GTI vs Volkswagen GTD

Hi, everyone!

So I passed my test a few weeks ago, and I've been driving a nice big SUV for the last two weeks, but I'm now thinking of getting my own car, and I've decided to go with the GTI or the GTD.

Which one would you recommend and why?

By the way, would I be allowed a test drive? If so, do you have to register your credit card to apply?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What kind of driving you do?

Diesel is the devils fuel to me

But some people swear by it
Reply 2
dvm
OP
Original post by JusDAnanas
What kind of driving you do?

Diesel is the devils fuel to me

But some people swear by it

I'm a bit of an aggressive driver (although I try to be calm) so I prefer petrol engines (self explanatory, I suppose), but on the other hand, the GTD is great because it isn't exactly slow, and I wouldn't have to fuel up as often.

I suppose it all comes down to how much I'll be spending on fuel, because I really do like driving, but I'd be fine with both cars.

I know a guy who works as a driver, and I've asked him why his company has the S500 (Petrol V8) Mercs as well as the S350 (which is standard for companies; Diesel V6), and he said that petrol engines often have lower costs in the long run because diesels are expensive to maintain.
Reply 3
Diesels cost more to buy initially too
Reply 4
If it is fuel economy and an entertaining drive then the GTD is good but it is going to cost more to maintain and to get the best out of it you need to bring it on long high speed drives fairly often.

Outright performance and pure joy of driving pleasure, in this class of car the leader is still the Renault Megane RS, probably not an ideal first car though as you do need to know car control to get the best out of it. A bit on the raw side though and might not be the nicest car as an everyday driver.

The GTI is the better performer of the GTI vs GTD, I find the GTI to be a bit more refined as well. I'd probably stick to this one as it is a good modern car to start out with if you have never owned any fast cars before.
Reply 5
dvm
OP
Original post by JusDAnanas
Diesels cost more to buy initially too

Not the GTD though- it's costs less!
Reply 6
The GTD is almost as fast as the GTI and drives just the same plus the added bonus of better fuel economy. I know which one I'll buy.
Reply 7
dvm
OP
Original post by Alfissti
If it is fuel economy and an entertaining drive then the GTD is good but it is going to cost more to maintain and to get the best out of it you need to bring it on long high speed drives fairly often.

Outright performance and pure joy of driving pleasure, in this class of car the leader is still the Renault Megane RS, probably not an ideal first car though as you do need to know car control to get the best out of it. A bit on the raw side though and might not be the nicest car as an everyday driver.

The GTI is the better performer of the GTI vs GTD, I find the GTI to be a bit more refined as well. I'd probably stick to this one as it is a good modern car to start out with if you have never owned any fast cars before.

Yeah, I won't be doing too many long distance drives, so I suppose the GTI is a better choice.

I'm not exactly big on Renault, because the Golf has a perfect interior (IMHO) and I like the design. Plus I really don't like French cars, so I'll go with the Golf.

Ok, this is going to sound like boasting, but here we go. I have actually driven quite a few fast cars before (the fastest were a Mercedes GL500 (382hp V8) and a BMW 760li (450+ hp V12) so fast cars really aren't a problem to drive, although I haven't driven a fast front wheel drive car, because the GL was a 4x4 and the BMW had rear wheel drive.
Reply 8
I thought you had to do mega mileage nowadays in a diesel to actually save money? Like 18k miles a year?
Reply 9
dvm
OP
Original post by The Jargen
The GTD is almost as fast as the GTI and drives just the same plus the added bonus of better fuel economy. I know which one I'll buy.

Yeah, it's great when it comes to fuel economy, but that comes at a price too! Diesels are more expensive to maintain, so you'd need to be doing loads of long distance driving to make it worth it. And, to be honest, petrol engines are nice to drive, while I absolutely hate small diesels.
Reply 10
dvm
OP
Original post by gbduo
I thought you had to do mega mileage nowadays in a diesel to actually save money? Like 18k miles a year?

Yeah, you have to do quite a few miles to make it worth it. On the other hand, it's not that hard. I mean 18k a year is really nothing big, although I usually drive in Europe, so I suppose it's a large number for the UK.
Reply 11
18k miles in the UK is like galactic mileage, the average is 12k for people who live on the motorway in rep mobiles.

Very few people in the UK actually do enough miles to make diesel worthwhile.
Original post by dvm
Yeah, it's great when it comes to fuel economy, but that comes at a price too! Diesels are more expensive to maintain, so you'd need to be doing loads of long distance driving to make it worth it. And, to be honest, petrol engines are nice to drive, while I absolutely hate small diesels.

Newer common rail diesel drive just like petrol cars. As for the maintenance I've had more problems fro petrol cars.
Reply 13
Original post by gbduo
18k miles in the UK is like galactic mileage, the average is 12k for people who live on the motorway in rep mobiles.

Very few people in the UK actually do enough miles to make diesel worthwhile.

This

And useless for city driving

Not to mention sounds like a tractor
Original post by dvm
Yeah, you have to do quite a few miles to make it worth it. On the other hand, it's not that hard. I mean 18k a year is really nothing big, although I usually drive in Europe, so I suppose it's a large number for the UK.

I never understood the "you need to be doing 1 million miles a year for diesel to be worthwhile" thing

If I was on a budget and only doing 5k of mixed driving a year, I would still be better off in a diesel
Reply 15
Original post by traintracks1995
I never understood the "you need to be doing 1 million miles a year for diesel to be worthwhile" thing

If I was on a budget and only doing 5k of mixed driving a year, I would still be better off in a diesel

Well its simple. Diesel costs more than petrol, the mpg gain is not enough over the petrol equivalent to negate the extra cost of diesel fuel, servicing, purchase price, parts etc unless you are doing x miles a year which keeps increasing as the cost of diesel increases.

It's simple maths. I'm surprised with your baller lifestyle you can't grasp such simple sums.
Original post by gbduo
Well its simple. Diesel costs more than petrol, the mpg gain is not enough over the petrol equivalent to negate the extra cost of diesel fuel.

Yes it is. Diesel costs circa 4% more than petrol, and typically gives 25% more economy. This holds true if you are doing 1 mile a year or 10,000 miles a year.
Reply 17
Yes it is. Diesel costs circa 4% more than petrol, and typically gives 25% more economy. This holds true if you are doing 1 mile a year or 10,000 miles a year.

If you are going to quote me, at least quote all of parts that make the summation! You missed out half of the attributes!

Here is some reading for you to back up my claims.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-2332107/Petrol-vs-diesel-cars-Drivers-warned-diesel-filter-trap.html

You need to be doing, according to this, 20 - 30k miles a year.

http://www.confused.com/car-insurance/articles/petrol-more-cost-efficient-than-diesel-when-buying-used-car

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/is-a-car-diesel-much-cheaper-than-petrol-151945955.html

Old article in 2012, so the gap is even bigger now.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-2130561/Diesel-vs-petrol-Used-diesel-car-cheaper-10-000-miles.html

I doubt you will care, but it might help the OP make a decision. Unless you are doing mega mileage a year, then get the petrol.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by gbduo
If you are going to quote me, at least quote all of parts that make the summation! You missed out half of the attributes!

Here is some reading for you to back up my claims.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-2332107/Petrol-vs-diesel-cars-Drivers-warned-diesel-filter-trap.html

You need to be doing, according to this, 20 - 30k miles a year.

http://www.confused.com/car-insurance/articles/petrol-more-cost-efficient-than-diesel-when-buying-used-car

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/is-a-car-diesel-much-cheaper-than-petrol-151945955.html

Old article in 2012, so the gap is even bigger now.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-2130561/Diesel-vs-petrol-Used-diesel-car-cheaper-10-000-miles.html

I doubt you will care, but it might help the OP make a decision. Unless you are doing mega mileage a year, then get the petrol.

I didn't realise we were talking about new cars. But yes this is true for new cars when a diesel may be a few k dearer. But if you are looking at a ~10 year old car, then the Petrol and Diesel are about the same price, but the Diesel is 25% more economical, then it's going to be the dirty diesel regardless of mileage.
Reply 19
I didn't realise we were talking about new cars. But yes this is true for new cars when a diesel may be a few k dearer. But if you are looking at a ~10 year old car, then the Petrol and Diesel are about the same price, but the Diesel is 25% more economical, then it's going to be the dirty diesel regardless of mileage.

Have you looked at the thread title?!

And the second part is not true, if you read all the literature I supplied to you in my post. Petrol is still cheaper second hand for most drivers.

Quick Reply

Latest