The Student Room Group

RAF Medical - Broken ankle

Hey,

I've been interested in the RAF for a couple of years now, although never pursued it further until a month ago.

Basically, everyone's worst nightmare happened to me - I broke my ankle 5 weeks ago. Typical eh? The cast finally comes off next week (24/4). Anyway, I've read that you cannot pass your medical with a fracture in the lower limb within the last 12 months. I have also read that this is only the case if you needed corrective surgery with metal pins/plates in order for the fracture to heal (luckily I didn't).

Would anybody be able to shed some light on this situation for me? I've heard of applications themselves taking the best part of a year from applying to starting basic training. Will I still need to wait the full 12 months before being able to pass the medical? Would I be wasting my time even thinking I should apply at the moment? Obviously I understand the physical exertion the training puts you through.

I'd be applying for either an Intelligence Officer or Intelligence Analyst. I have the qualifications or an Officer but a part of me wants to work my way up the ranks to get a better understanding of role itself and to be more hands on. And of course, qualifications aren't everything, I understand the IntO position is very difficult to get!

Thanks for any replies :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by nicolamac28
Hey,

I've been interested in the RAF for a couple of years now, although never pursued it further until a month ago.

Basically, everyone's worst nightmare happened to me - I broke my ankle 5 weeks ago. Typical eh? The cast finally comes off next week (24/4). Anyway, I've read that you cannot pass your medical with a fracture in the lower limb within the last 12 months. I have also read that this is only the case if you needed corrective surgery with metal pins/plates in order for the fracture to heal (luckily I didn't).

Would anybody be able to shed some light on this situation for me? I've heard of applications themselves taking the best part of a year from applying to starting basic training. Will I still need to wait the full 12 months before being able to pass the medical? Would I be wasting my time even thinking I should apply at the moment? Obviously I understand the physical exertion the training puts you through.

I'd be applying for either an Intelligence Officer or Intelligence Analyst. I have the qualifications or an Officer but a part of me wants to work my way up the ranks to get a better understanding of role itself and to be more hands on. And of course, qualifications aren't everything, I understand the IntO position is very difficult to get!

Thanks for any replies :smile:

Under the Musculoskeletal Disorder section on the document which lists conditions that precludes entry it states:

Fractures within the last 12 months, except fractures of the digits / clavicles

You can find the document here: http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/rafcms/mediafiles/8AC4A6D0_5056_A318_A8628AA28D2D8DAE.pdf

It doesn't mention surgery, so I would assume that this is still the case without surgery. Nobody on here is qualified to give you a definitive answer on this though so it's best to call up your AFCO or go and have a chat with them at some point.

The application process is taking between 3-9 months at the moment, although it can be shorter or longer depending on the requirements of the RAF. The medical is the 'third stage', after the selection test and Interview, so even though training may not be for many months, you would still need to be fracture-free for 12 months before you can be deemed medically fit.

Always best to have this conversation with your AFCO though, as they may tell you different. I'm just repeating what is in black and white on the website.

Hope you get it sorted and best of luck with your application!
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply!

Yeah, that's what I expected to hear. You can imagine how disappointed I am :frown:

I'll definitely go up to my Glasgow AFCO next week for some more information. And until I am eligible to apply, I guess I'll just have to build up strength in my leg again and get in the best physical shape I can! 12 months is a long time.

Thanks again.
Reply 3
Original post by nicolamac28
Thanks for your reply!

Yeah, that's what I expected to hear. You can imagine how disappointed I am :frown:

I'll definitely go up to my Glasgow AFCO next week for some more information. And until I am eligible to apply, I guess I'll just have to build up strength in my leg again and get in the best physical shape I can! 12 months is a long time.

Thanks again.

Yeah I can understand how bad you must feel! Will be worth the wait though if all goes to plan in 12 months.

I've been trying to keep myself away from any kind of situation where I might break any bones or get injured haha. Been way too paranoid since I applied in January.

Anyway, as I said, best of luck for when you do apply!

Quick Reply

Latest