The Student Room Group

TSR is on a decline

Scroll to see replies

Obviously I'm still still using it, but this forum has really fallen

The removal of negs was the final nail, but really it started when they changed the layout to this cbeebies rubbish, now it's mainly kids asking why they are friendzoned, if their penis is too small, telling us why they hate feminists/religion or some other inane crap. Also lots of the good posters have been banned, as soon as a competitor comes along, this place will go under imo
(edited 10 years ago)
I've been here since 07 on various accounts, and it pretty much stayed the same quality up until they removed the neg rep. It's been really **** since then, so tend to only stick to one or two big threads now.
Reply 42
Brb removal of neg rep
Brb dumb card system
Brb lame users
Brb childish users
Brb

Brb
Brb
Time to add some balance to these idiotic posts,
it's because it's revision period for most students right about now, so they use it less.
If you think it's in decline make useful threads instead of complaining, because I think its just fine.
I blame cultural marxist white knight feminist Muslim immigrant zionists
Reply 45
I love the things most of you hate, the ridiculous HR threads, those friendzone guys, the am I pretty threads, they're so funny. The only things I don't like are the ALPHA squad and the fact that I now follow people and find it quite stalkerish that they are also following me, I don't really care what thread Precious Illusions just posted on but you're going to tell me anyway. I can't handle that I can't call ****ing idiots ****ing idiots either, I have to pussyfoot and say that their opinion is wrong and it just doesn't have the same impact.

Neg rep sucked in most ways, it meant people didn't talk frankly. But it does mean that people who know **** all about a subject can just talk like they do and instead of them being negged into oblivion and thus ignored by OP, someone with knowledge has to explain and get into a full on argument with someone with only misguided general knowledge about something. I'm a law student and the amount of times I've just wanted to hit the neg button on a moron's wrong post must be approaching 3 figures. It is stupid now though that literally everyone has some measure of green. I was on an upward incline before neg rep removal, but with it I'd probably have nowhere near my rep.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by Wattsy
I love the things most of you hate, the ridiculous HR threads, those friendzone guys, the am I pretty threads, they're so funny. The only things I don't like are the ALPHA squad and the fact that I now follow people and find it quite stalkerish that they are also following me, I don't really care what thread Precious Illusions just posted on but you're going to tell me anyway. I can't handle that I can't call ****ing idiots ****ing idiots either, I have to pussyfoot and say that their opinion is wrong and it just doesn't have the same impact.

Neg rep sucked in most ways, it meant people didn't talk frankly. But it does mean that people who know **** all about a subject can just talk like they do and instead of them being negged into oblivion and thus ignored by OP, someone with knowledge has to explain and get into a full on argument with someone with only misguided general knowledge about something. I'm a law student and the amount of times I've just wanted to hit the neg button on a moron's wrong post must be approaching 3 figures. It is stupid now though that literally everyone has some measure of green. I was on an upward incline before neg rep removal, but with it I'd probably have nowhere near my rep.

You...you don't? :puppyeyes: No but seriously I agree :lol: I find the whole follower thing very stalker-ish and weird, I unfollowed everyone, and find it odd when people follow me, there's absolutely no need to follow people on here. It isn't twitter, I don't even use Twitter so why would I follow/want followers on here :lolwut:

Also agree with all the points made about neg rep and the silly new card system. Will never understand why they made these changes.
Reply 47
Original post by Precious Illusions
You...you don't? :puppyeyes: No but seriously I agree :lol: I find the whole follower thing very stalker-ish and weird, I unfollowed everyone, and find it odd when people follow me, there's absolutely no need to follow people on here. It isn't twitter, I don't even use Twitter so why would I follow/want followers on here :lolwut:

Also agree with all the points made about neg rep and the silly new card system. Will never understand why they made these changes.

Hahaha, the following thing will be even worse for you I guess! I have 2 people down there at the bottom of the page, you've got a follower list the size of the Georgian army! I don't think anyone gets the card system, I've never got a card:angelwings:
but most people I know who have are just like 'what'?! Blues which sometimes turn into yellows which sometimes turn into reds which sometimes turn into blacks. There's a whole lot of sometimes' there

I don't see what's wrong with the follower system. Some people have posts that I always enjoy reading so I want to make sure I see them. It's not like you're posting anything personal so it's hardly stalkerish.
Reply 49
Original post by Wattsy
Hahaha, the following thing will be even worse for you I guess! I have 2 people down there at the bottom of the page, you've got a follower list the size of the Georgian army! I don't think anyone gets the card system, I've never got a card:angelwings:
but most people I know who have are just like 'what'?! Blues which sometimes turn into yellows which sometimes turn into reds which sometimes turn into blacks. There's a whole lot of sometimes' there

Hah I think it's because I had so many people on my friends list who were automatically made my followers? I dunno, I don't particularly care what other users are posting on here so it seems absolutely pointless to me :lol:

Haha yeah I've had it explained to me a few times but...can never remember it. I miss the points system. :moon:
Reply 50
Hah I think it's because I had so many people on my friends list who were automatically made my followers? I dunno, I don't particularly care what other users are posting on here so it seems absolutely pointless to me :lol:

Haha yeah I've had it explained to me a few times but...can never remember it. I miss the points system. :moon:

We need Adonis back >>>
Original post by electriic_ink
It was terrible long before you arrived. It's a well known fact that TSR became crap the hour they changed the rep system.

Yes, I'm convinced that trolls who revelled in displaying their red gems proudly as badges of trolling honour were encouraged by the removal of neg rep. TSR has always been crap, probably, because it's full of pretentious and/or attention whoring and/or insecure teenagers who realise their online anonymity allows them to say everything they wouldn't say in real life for fear of the social implications.
Original post by PythianLegume
That's always been there. It's the amount of rep points you get for that rep, and is equal to the reputation level (green gems) of the person who repped you. So if I was to rep you, you'd get an 8 next to it and 8 rep points.

Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Refers to the number of green gems someone has, so for example if someone has 4 gems when they rep you you'll get 4 points.

Thanking you muchlys. I thought it meant how many reps that post had received, and got really confused :s-smilie:
Reply 53
The mods just want everyone to smile, hold hands and sing kumbaya which makes for weak, boring threads where everyone is scared of voicing an opinion incase it is deemed "offensive". What the **** is offensive anyway?

[video="youtube;fHMoDt3nSHs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs[/video]
Original post by JusDAnanas
We need Adonis back >>>

Hi Adonis
Reply 55
Original post by geoking
The mods just want everyone to smile, hold hands and sing kumbaya which makes for weak, boring threads where everyone is scared of voicing an opinion incase it is deemed "offensive". What the **** is offensive anyway?

I agree and disagree. Getting carded for things like filter dodging (swearing) is petty, and the mods are only to happy to slap you with a warning/ban.. but at the same time without their overbearing bs, people like 'red one' would multiply and the Chat forum would end up a cesspool.
Reply 56
Original post by Gjaykay
No one is forcing you to stay

no one is forcing you to post in my thread
Reply 57
Original post by cole-slaw
Rep tells the mods which posters the community thinks are trolls. 100,000 heads are better than 10. If you ban a poster with 8 green gems you're doing something wrong. If you haven't banned a poster with 8 red gems, you're doing something wrong.

So, thank heavens that the people who thought the world was flat didn't have rep! :biggrin::cool:
Am I the only one who doesn't think it's that hard to keep to the rules? :pierre:
Almost every successive generation of TSR users thinks it's on the decline...

Quick Reply

Latest