The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

GCSE Requirements?

I'm considering applying for Economics at LSE with 6A*, 1A and 3B's at GCSE and hopefully A*AAA at A Level. My question is are my GCSE results good enough? I've seen numerous threads about LSE rejecting applicants for having less than 7 A*s which is scaring me a little added to the fact that it is one of the most over subscribed courses. I do understand that my personal statement also has an impact on any potential offer. I have no relevant work experience (working in a bank etc.) but have quite a bit of extra curricular as well as being a tutor for GCSE students.
Reply 1
Original post by SteelCookie
I'm considering applying for Economics at LSE with 6A*, 1A and 3B's at GCSE and hopefully A*AAA at A Level. My question is are my GCSE results good enough? I've seen numerous threads about LSE rejecting applicants for having less than 7 A*s which is scaring me a little added to the fact that it is one of the most over subscribed courses. I do understand that my personal statement also has an impact on any potential offer. I have no relevant work experience (working in a bank etc.) but have quite a bit of extra curricular as well as being a tutor for GCSE students.

I suggest you look at this http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1416075 , but do you mind me asking what grades you got for each subject?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by 391iady
I suggest you look at this http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1416075 , but do you mind me asking what grades you got for each subject?

A*: Bio, Chem, Physics, Maths, IT, DT
A: Eng Lang
B: Geography, German, English Lit

A*AAa (Last A is an AS, my bad): Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics. Will be taking Further Maths as an option in my Gap Year also, probably to AS.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
A*: Bio, Chem, Physics, Maths, IT, DT
A: Eng Lang
B: Geography, German, English Lit

A*AAa (Last A is an AS, my bad): Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics. Will be taking Further Maths as an option in my Gap Year also, probably to AS.

I think your grades are great then, and you just need to work on the rest of your application.
personal statement is the key to success
GCSEs could have been a bit higher and try to get better A Levels than those; they're good but don't stand out among the numerous applicants of 3/4A*s predicted (obviously, predicted grades aren't always accurate but still). Essay competitions, Young Enterprise successes, Maths successes, lectures, relevant reading ALL help. Oh and make sure your personal statement is great as they don't interview.

EDIT: Oh, you've already done A Levels, in which case I really recommend taking Further Maths up to A2 and aiming for an A*.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by yl95
GCSEs could have been a bit higher and try to get better A Levels than those; they're good but don't stand out among the numerous applicants of 3/4A*s predicted (obviously, predicted grades aren't always accurate but still). Essay competitions, Young Enterprise successes, Maths successes, lectures, relevant reading ALL help. Oh and make sure your personal statement is great as they don't interview.

EDIT: Oh, you've already done A Levels, in which case I really recommend taking Further Maths up to A2 and aiming for an A*.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm in my A2 year now, I haven't done them. Those are my realistic predictions at the moment. Surely they don't hold predicted grades high in regard as most students don't even meet them?
I'm in my A2 year now, I haven't done them. Those are my realistic predictions at the moment. Surely they don't hold predicted grades high in regard as most students don't even meet them?

I don't know how much LSE places importance on predicted grades but since the grade requirements are actually A*AA, it's probably better to achieve higher than that as even so, many applicants will achieve higher/much higher than those.
I go to LSE and got all Cs and Bs at GCSE level. It is possible. Just work on your personal statement and perfecting those A Level grades! Good luck! :smile:
Original post by elenastallos
I go to LSE and got all Cs and Bs at GCSE level. It is possible. Just work on your personal statement and perfecting those A Level grades! Good luck! :smile:

He's applying for Economics, though. Do you study Economics there? Any extenuating circumstances?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nope no extenuating circumstances. I just had a huge step up in grades. Nope I don't, but regardless...LSE is LSE.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending