The Student Room Group

Are these predicted grades good enough to get into a russell group uni?

HI, I'm currently in year 10 and begin to think about where I want to move on to after year 10. I'm thinking about this sort of stuff early as I do a few very important early entry GCSEs. These are Maths, English, English Lit, RE. Anyway. My progress report came through the post the other day, and these are the gradesI think I should be getting.

Maths A
English A
English Lit A
ICT A
History A
Music A
Biology B
Chemistry B
Physics B
French B
RE C

Q1: After next year I want to study the following A-levels: Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science, History. Would these grades be good enough to get me into these courses. Especially further maths as I know it is meant to be quite tough.

Q2) Eventually I want to study Computer Science at a Russell group university. Do those universities look at my GCSE results, and would getting a C in RE at GCSE hinder my chances of getting in. Obviously A levels are more important, but how important are GCSE's?

Any help or responses would be greatly appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

You're still in school you shouldn't be worrying about unis yet! At the very least you should wait until you get your actual results before worrying. Anyway unis care very little about GCSEs, A Levels are much more important because they are ten times harder than GCSE.
Reply 2
Original post by justanotherposter
You're still in school you shouldn't be worrying about unis yet! At the very least you should wait until you get your actual results before worrying. Anyway unis care very little about GCSEs, A Levels are much more important because they are ten times harder than GCSE.

I know I shuldn't be worrying about the uni thing yet. But is the Maths grade good enough for Maths and Further Maths at A level? Also, Would anyone care if I got a C in RE. I'm predicted B but I think I'll get a C.
Depends on which Russell Group. Try to get the A* in Maths, though.
Reply 4
Original post by yl95
Depends on which Russell Group. Try to get the A* in Maths, though.

I want to aim for an A this year while I'm in year 10, then next year retake it and get an A*. Would this be better than getting an A this year, leaving it, and next year getting a GCSE in statistics?
Original post by RG110man
I want to aim for an A this year while I'm in year 10, then next year retake it and get an A*. Would this be better than getting an A this year, leaving it, and next year getting a GCSE in statistics?

Why not just take the GCSE in Year 11? It won't make a difference. It's better to just get the A* later. GCSE Stats won't really do anything to your application, to be honest.
HI, I'm currently in year 10 and begin to think about where I want to move on to after year 10. I'm thinking about this sort of stuff early as I do a few very important early entry GCSEs. These are Maths, English, English Lit, RE. Anyway. My progress report came through the post the other day, and these are the gradesI think I should be getting.

Maths A
English A
English Lit A
ICT A
History A
Music A
Biology B
Chemistry B
Physics B
French B
RE C

Q1: After next year I want to study the following A-levels: Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science, History. Would these grades be good enough to get me into these courses. Especially further maths as I know it is meant to be quite tough.

Q2) Eventually I want to study Computer Science at a Russell group university. Do those universities look at my GCSE results, and would getting a C in RE at GCSE hinder my chances of getting in. Obviously A levels are more important, but how important are GCSE's?

I think you'll be fine! Someone I know had worse (including a D in English Literature) and got offers from 4 Russell Group universities :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by yl95
Why not just take the GCSE in Year 11? It won't make a difference. It's better to just get the A* later. GCSE Stats won't really do anything to your application, to be honest.

Our school want us to do early entry, and to be honest I don't see the harm in doing it early. Do I need the A*. If I got an A this year I could drop it and concentrate more on the science subjects.
Our school want us to do early entry, and to be honest I don't see the harm in doing it early. Do I need the A*. If I got an A this year I could drop it and concentrate more on the science subjects.

There's nothing wrong with it per se; it's just that getting the A* would help in your application, especially if you were to apply to one of the 'higher' RGs (they'd want to know why you didn't get an A*) since Computer Science is mathematical.
Reply 9
Original post by Changing Skies
I think you'll be fine! Someone I know had worse (including a D in English Literature) and got offers from 4 Russell Group universities :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. I know that as you progress to A levels, GCSEs become much less important as they are so easy compared to A levels. Do universities acrually look at your GCSE's? I know oxbridge do but what about other unis?
Reply 10

Maths A
English A
English Lit A
ICT A
History A
Music A
Biology B
Chemistry B
Physics B
French B
RE C

RE doesn't really matter much as long as you don't need it later. But seriously maths is hard at A level, my school don't even let you take it unless you get an A*. If you want to do maths and further maths, you really need to try and get the A*. I'm year 10 as well and am taking similar GCSEs.
Reply 11
Original post by yl95
There's nothing wrong with it per se; it's just that getting the A* would help in your application, especially if you were to apply to one of the 'higher' RGs (they'd want to know why you didn't get an A*) since Computer Science is mathematical.

Surely the GCSE in maths become irrelevant just so long as you can get a decent grade in your A levels?? How much does an A* in GCSE maths strengthen your application to sixth form. An A is still good, right?
Reply 12
Original post by augusta_t
RE doesn't really matter much as long as you don't need it later. But seriously maths is hard at A level, my school don't even let you take it unless you get an A*. If you want to do maths and further maths, you really need to try and get the A*. I'm year 10 as well and am taking similar GCSEs.

From what I've heard it depends how well you grasp concepts and understand things. I know people who got an A* in GCSE maths, but got a D in the Core 1 AS level exam because GCSE is so irrelevant to the A level and doesn't really prepare you.
Surely the GCSE in maths become irrelevant just so long as you can get a decent grade in your A levels?? How much does an A* in GCSE maths strengthen your application to sixth form. An A is still good, right?

An A is good for the majority of universities; it's just that the ones -higher up- if you're interested in them have applicants who basically nearly all have the A* in Maths and would be confused with the A. Most RGs would be fine with the A, I'd imagine. I never had to apply to Sixth Form since it's part of my school so I don't know. Obviously, acing your ASes is more important.
Reply 14
From what I've heard it depends how well you grasp concepts and understand things. I know people who got an A* in GCSE maths, but got a D in the Core 1 AS level exam because GCSE is so irrelevant to the A level and doesn't really prepare you.

Its up to you! I am going to take maths, but I am predicted an A*. I think you need to talk to your careers counselor at school. :smile:
Reply 15
The

Maths A
English A
English Lit A
ICT A
History A
Music A
Biology B
Chemistry B
Physics B
French B
RE C

Ironically I was in the exact same position as yourself when I was in year 10 and I too was cautious about my GCSEs

Russell Group universities are Russell Group unis for a reason and they normally accept people who are getting nothing below a B. However like the recent replier said they are only a small factor in your application but it is still a factor. No matter how small that factor may be you should strive to get the best results you can you just gotta believe in yourself that you can get these top grades. :biggrin:

I started college this year and I do Maths, FurtherMaths, Economics and Physics. These AS levels are the most important thing in your application which determine your A2 predicitve grades. These predictions are the main factor that universities are going to judge you by. I'm going to be applying for CompSci at Russell group unis as well.

Another thing is that they want students who research around their subject and go further than the average student so doing extra-curricular activities based around Computer Science, reading around the subject and even learning how to programme can help benefit your application :smile:
If I were you, use the time after exams to research on what can give your application the boost it needs to improve the chances of getting you a place at a Russell Group Uni.

But right now, the most important thing is to get the best grades you can at GCSE so make sure you do the best you can in Maths, English Lit, English and RE. Focus more time on weaker subjects without neglecting stronger ones and try to get all A's throughout :wink:

Just believe in yourself and all the revision should pay off :awesome:
DO PAST PAPERS!!!:ahee:

If you need anything else, PM me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

A D in C1? That is crazy. Most of C1 should be a doss if you got the A*...
Reply 17
Original post by yl95
A D in C1? That is crazy. Most of C1 should be a doss if you got the A*...

It actually is that's the funny thing :mmm:
Although, I'm better at and prefer C2 :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Leechayy
It actually is that's the funny thing :mmm:
Although, I'm better at and prefer C2 :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, it is a bit of a joke, to be honest. If you got an A* at GCSE, I don't see why people shouldn't get at least an A in the module... It's pretty elementary stuff.
C2's alright but my favourite is FP3.
Reply 19
Original post by Leechayy
The

Ironically I was in the exact same position as yourself when I was in year 10 and I too was cautious about my GCSEs

Russell Group universities are Russell Group unis for a reason and they normally accept people who are getting nothing below a B. However like the recent replier said they are only a small factor in your application but it is still a factor. No matter how small that factor may be you should strive to get the best results you can you just gotta believe in yourself that you can get these top grades. :biggrin:

I started college this year and I do Maths, FurtherMaths, Economics and Physics. These AS levels are the most important thing in your application which determine your A2 predicitve grades. These predictions are the main factor that universities are going to judge you by. I'm going to be applying for CompSci at Russell group unis as well.

Another thing is that they want students who research around their subject and go further than the average student so doing extra-curricular activities based around Computer Science, reading around the subject and even learning how to programme can help benefit your application :smile:
If I were you, use the time after exams to research on what can give your application the boost it needs to improve the chances of getting you a place at a Russell Group Uni.

But right now, the most important thing is to get the best grades you can at GCSE so make sure you do the best you can in Maths, English Lit, English and RE. Focus more time on weaker subjects without neglecting stronger ones and try to get all A's throughout :wink:

Just believe in yourself and all the revision should pay off :awesome:
DO PAST PAPERS!!!:ahee:

If you need anything else, PM me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for this. I have been slowly working my way through my maths exam board's past papers. I have no concerns that by next June/July I will be able to achieve an A* with the amount of dedication I am throwing at the subject. I'm now doing papers and marking them against the mark scheme and am safely achieving an A when checking my marks against the grade boundaries for the paper.

Quick Reply

Latest