The Student Room Group

Hillsborough - 25 years on

Surprised there isn't a thread already. Today marks the 25 year anniversary of one of the darkest days in English football, when so many went to see their team play and didn't return home. It's a disgrace how the truth is only coming out now, after a quarter of a century.

Justice for the 96.

Trolls/wums don't even bother. This could have been any set of supporters.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypE5TG2UPNk

Watched this earlier, the MOTD right after it. Horrific stuff and can't imagine being trapped in that situation.
Reply 2
Justice is coming. Those responsible can hide no more.

Never forget.
Reply 3
Didn't see this, thanks sr90. I made another thread before I knew you had this one.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2651541
Reply 4
Bump
Original post by JamesyC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypE5TG2UPNk

Watched this earlier, the MOTD right after it. Horrific stuff and can't imagine being trapped in that situation.

There are a few threads dotted about clubs main forums I have been shown which are full of survivors talking about their experiences, I had to stop reading it because it was far too distressing. One cannot begin to imagine what those people actually there went through.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/hillsborough-anniversary-liverpool-fan-brian-3415653
As tragic as Hillsborough was, I always wonder if the families of victims of other football disasters think there is too much of a focus on Hillsborough. You never really hear about the Bradford City fire that happened in 85, for example. I suppose it's because of all the corruption associated with Hillsborough but at the end of the day it's the loss of life that we mourn.
Reply 7
http://film.lfc.vn/tag/hillsborough/

Wonderful website with a collection of documentaries/clips about Hillsborough.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b040j0rr

5 Live Hillsborough untold stories

2 minute Hillsborough tribute

Spoiler

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/hillsborough-memorial-service-live-updates-3415060

Live memorial service link
Reply 8
Hear hear.
Original post by De Chirico
As tragic as Hillsborough was, I always wonder if the families of victims of other football disasters think there is too much of a focus on Hillsborough. You never really hear about the Bradford City fire that happened in 85, for example. I suppose it's because of all the corruption associated with Hillsborough but at the end of the day it's the loss of life that we mourn.

I was actually thinking of that fire as I entered this thread
Original post by De Chirico

Think of it all you want, and please publish threads to raise awareness for and to mourn those who died unjustly and horribly that day.

This thread for mourning those who died at Hillsborough, and for supporting the cause of those who fight for justice today. You know good and well why Hillsborough is more often in the news than other disasters - the loss of life is significant and unacceptable in all cases, it's the injustice during the disaster and that has followed that has kept Hillsborough in focus.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by matchdayG
Think of it all you want, and please publish threads to raise awareness for and to mourn those who died unjustly and horribly that day.

This thread for mourning those who died at Hillsborough, and for supporting the cause of those who fight for justice today.

I just don't see why someone would even bother to say 'I know it's for mourning this but we should also mourn this'.

Tell me where exactly I said we should be mourning those instead of the Hillsborough deaths, better yet why don't you stfu
Can I say that I am saying what I am about to say from a total position of ignorance and I do not intend to cause offence in any way.

Wasn't it pissed, angry Liverpool fans with fake tickets who crushed their fellow fans to death. Did they not behave pretty badly anyway? So many people seem to see the fact that the police didn't behave well at all as vindication for what they did.

If I killed someone, and the police said that I killed them and then pissed on them when I just killed them, does that make me any better? I have no doubt that the police handled it badly but why does "Justice" mean getting the police?

I just don't think I understand the Hillsborough thing fully, or I am missing something.
Original post by Nick1sHere
Tell me where exactly I said we should be mourning those instead of the Hillsborough deaths, better yet why don't you stfu

No need for the anger, I quoted the wrong person by mistake.
Original post by matchdayG
No need for the anger, I quoted the wrong person by mistake.

Repped
Original post by Huskaris
Wasn't it pissed, angry Liverpool fans with fake tickets who crushed their fellow fans to death. Did they not behave pretty badly anyway? So many people seem to see the fact that the police didn't behave well at all as vindication for what they did.

If I killed someone, and the police said that I killed them and then pissed on them when I just killed them, does that make me any better? I have no doubt that the police handled it badly but why does "Justice" mean getting the police?

The police made that story up to cover their own failings, altering hundreds of witness statements and hiding footage to save their own skin. Even ordering blood alcohol tests on children. This is not my opinion, this has been proven fact.
Can I say that I am saying what I am about to say from a total position of ignorance and I do not intend to cause offence in any way.

I just don't think I understand the Hillsborough thing fully, or I am missing something.

If someone else doesn't do it, I'd be happy to explain/answer your questions later (my stream to the service has started working again). However, in the mean time, you can read this page http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/hillsborough-survivor-andrew-devine-who-6988427 for a fairly thorough explanation of why the disaster happened. (Towards the bottom of the page there is a plug-in/box thing)

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/hillsborough-survivor-andrew-devine-who-6988427

If you scroll down to the end of the article, you will find a storyline "Hillsborough - the long road to justice" that explains the events from the beginning of the incident to what is going on up till now.

I would take some time to read the story and you will understand exactly what happened. From what I understand (someone correct me if I'm wrong), the police were responsible but covered up their own actions and shifted the blame on to the Liverpool fans. The police got away with it too but after years of inquests, petitions and what not, a independent panel released a report uncovering everything that had happened, the IPCC are currently now investigating the actions of the Police that were involved.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
Hopefully somebody can help me on this, because I am seriously confused by the whole 'Justice' claim....

All anybody goes on about is "the search for the truth" and "Justice for the 96 after all these years"...And I have just been watching the Hilsborough 25th memorial, and a song was sung with the lyrics that said something similar to "justice won't be done until those to blame hang their heads in shame"...

Hang on? Who is to blame here? Are they seriously trying to claim it was actually the police's fault!? So they were the ones pushing their way in at the back of the stand were they? Why is there no mention of the pissed up, violent, ticketless Liverpool fans who arrived late, and acted so unbelievably irresponsible as to push and push there way in, not caring about the fans at the front of the stand? They are the main culprits who are responsible, and people always seem frightened to mention it!

Yes there are other factors to take into account, and ofcourse the police could have handled it better. But it seems to me; no liverpool hooligans pushing their way in = no hilsborough disaster. People seem to lose sight of that fact.

And before anybody starts, my heart goes out to those killed & their families. My argument does not in any way slander their name. I just feel people are blaming the wrong side for this horrific tragedy.
Original post by :D---D:
Hopefully somebody can help me on this, because I am seriously confused by the whole 'Justice' claim....

All anybody goes on about is "the search for the truth" and "Justice for the 96 after all these years"...And I have just been watching the Hilsborough 25th memorial, and a song was sung with the lyrics that said something similar to "justice won't be done until those to blame hang their heads in shame"...

Hang on? Who is to blame here? Are they seriously trying to claim it was actually the police's fault!? So they were the ones pushing their way in at the back of the stand were they? Why is there no mention of the pissed up, violent, ticketless Liverpool fans who arrived late, and acted so unbelievably irresponsible as to push and push there way in, not caring about the fans at the front of the stand? They are the main culprits who are responsible, and people always seem frightened to mention it!

Yes there are other factors to take into account, and ofcourse the police could have handled it better. But it seems to me; no liverpool hooligans pushing their way in = no hilsborough disaster. People seem to lose sight of that fact.

And before anybody starts, my heart goes out to those killed & their families. My argument does not in any way slander their name. I just feel people are blaming the wrong side for this horrific tragedy.

Read the Echo story linked above

Quick Reply

Latest