The Student Room Group

Can you gain 10 pounds of muscle in a week?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Universityofme
Water, glycogen and food manipulation means it's easy to add 10lb onto the scale within a day.

Pure muscle as in lean muscle. And as I see you're not willing to accept science or studies then it's obvious you have no clue what you're talking about.

If you can easily put on 2lbs of muscle a week then I suggest you enter body-building:wink:

I would like you to define 'pure/lean muscle' and how one would go about measuring this.

I didn't say it was sustainable at that level over a long period of time. But yes 2lb's of muscle in a week really isn't that ridiculous in my opinion.

And no, I do not accept the results of ONE study as solid gold, sorry. You're telling me the maximum amount of muscle any one person can put on in a year is 25 pounds? right.
Original post by HuskyWolf
I didn't say it was sustainable at that level over a long period of time. But yes 2lb's of muscle in a week really isn't that ridiculous in my opinion.

10lbs though - no way.
Reply 22
Original post by Converse Rocker
10lbs though - no way.

Agreed - impossible :P
All you need is to eat 20k Calories after each workout before it gets dark and you must workout out 7 days a week, top to bottom!

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 24
I would like you to define 'pure/lean muscle' and how one would go about measuring this.

And no, I do not accept the results of ONE study as solid gold, sorry. You're telling me the maximum amount of muscle any one person can put on in a year is 25 pounds? right.

2lbs of muscle a week is 100lbs of muscle of year, if you really think those are the kind of results you can expect as a natural bodybuilder, you're in for just about the biggest disappointment of your life when a year from now you still don't look like you lift.
Reply 25
Original post by bertstare
2lbs of muscle a week is 100lbs of muscle of year, if you really think those are the kind of results you can expect as a natural bodybuilder, you're in for just about the biggest disappointment of your life when a year from now you still don't look like you lift.

I didn't say it was sustainable for a year............ in fact it was only in my last post I mentioned that if you bothered to read.

Why not extrapolate to 1000lbs in 10 years? Because it's stupid that's why. We are talking 1 week. one.
Reply 26
I didn't say it was sustainable for a year............ in fact it was only in my last post I mentioned that if you bothered to read.

Why not extrapolate to 1000lbs in 10 years? Because it's stupid that's why. We are talking 1 week. one.

So unless you have literally never been exposed to any kind of hypertrophic stimulus in your entire life, and suddenly start an intense full body weight lifting routine, you are not going to be gaining anything like 2lbs in a week. And if you do, it will drop massively after literally the first week and overall you will gain no more than 30lbs or so (absolute max) of muscle over the course of a year, unless you have some seriously elite genetics
Bertstare is completely correct. I just laugh at all these people who all claim you can gain muscle really fast- if it where that easy, where are all the jacked in shape people? I see mainly fat people and skinny people are people somewhere in between but very few people in properly good shape.

After lifting for 1.5 years, I've probably gained a legit 25lbs of muscle and I've been in the gym 3-5 times a week week in week out without fail, and I still don't look like I lift...

Not saying I have particularly good genetics at all but all these people who think they can get 20lbs of muscle in 10 weeks are absolutely hilarious.

With a hydrostatic test.

Not one study, every study. Find me one single bit of evidence that shows that you can achieve 2lbs of muscle in a week as a natural. You wont because you can't. 2lbs of muscle a month is the average. A month. Therefore you're 4 times better than the average?

And I know you're not because you have no knowledge or experience as is evident.
All you need is to eat 20k Calories after each workout before it gets dark and you must workout out 7 days a week, top to bottom!

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by bertstare
So unless you have literally never been exposed to any kind of hypertrophic stimulus in your entire life, and suddenly start an intense full body weight lifting routine, you are not going to be gaining anything like 2lbs in a week. And if you do, it will drop massively after literally the first week and overall you will gain no more than 30lbs or so (absolute max) of muscle over the course of a year, unless you have some seriously elite genetics

I don't even know what you're debating for/against.. I just tried to answer the OP's question from personal experience. I'm not the one who's been conjuring up figures from thin air.

Original post by Universityofme
With a hydrostatic test.

Not one study, every study. Find me one single bit of evidence that shows that you can achieve 2lbs of muscle in a week as a natural. You wont because you can't. 2lbs of muscle a month is the average. A month. Therefore you're 4 times better than the average?

And I know you're not because you have no knowledge or experience as is evident.

Firstly, average. Calculated using all values.. doesn't mean the maximum anyone is capable of is the mean does it..

Secondly, 2lbs of muscle per month ON AVERAGE, but over what period was the test carried out? in fact, what study are you even referencing?! Or is it all of them...

Thirdly, I don't know when this became all about me? I wasn't trying to big myself up or anything? If I was I wouldn't have offered up the fact that I used supplements and I've since lost it all...

Was just trying to answer the OP's question guys. Also notice how I've simply been stating MY OPINION and not acting like I know everything.
Reply 31
I gained 10lb of bodyweight in my first week of weightlifting, but I imagine most of it was water and glycogen in my muscles rather than muscle fibre itself. Still, my weight stayed stable at that for ages even when I didn't train. Maybe it was my body's set point at the time and I was just getting a hormonal wake-up after years of inactivity.

OP, you won't notice a 10lb weight gain. Neither will the girls in Malia.
Reply 32
Lol, strong knowledge, definitely not attainable even if on all the gear in the world.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest