The Student Room Group

Honda Civic's are overrated

Everyone has one of these Honda Civic hatchbacks these days. Its a bit boring to be honest that people conform and buy these cars rather than something more elegant and worth your money like a Jetta or Passat.

The first thing car buyers should always ask themselves is:

'Is it German?'

If the answer is no then don't buy it because its just a rust bucket to be honest and will cost you more in maintenance than a wife and three children.

There's really no point in buying a cheap car. Just buy something more expensive and German and get your moneys worth.

When I see people in Civic's I just think of people who cant afford a decent car and who've played too much Need For Speed Underground.

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I just joined the forum yesterday to bring up a point like this: the bandwagon of the standard first cars is over-saturated and makes the choices very boring. As somebody who just passed their test, I really don't want to get a golf, for example, because of it.

I'm thinking about getting a Jeep Wrangler. Any thoughts? :biggrin:
So in your opinion , theres something wrong with getting a cheaper car to start of with ?
Didn't even know they were rated...
Original post by faisal5417
So in your opinion , theres something wrong with getting a cheaper car to start of with ?

Yes. It will just cost you more in the long run.

Why not just save up and get a proper car in the first place? Fed up of people in Civics pretending they're in a fast racing car with subwoofers when its a slow car over hyped in video games and films.
Original post by Mickey O'Neil

Why not just save up and get a proper car in the first place? Fed up of people in Civics pretending they're in a fast racing car with subwoofers when its a slow car over hyped in video games and films.

Well, if we have to save up , it would take a bit of time before we can all afford lamborgini aventadors. How about someone doesnt care about cars? Do you still potray a silly image of them?
Reply 6
I seem to remember it being 3 honda civics that were kitted up in the shop Brian O'Conor #RIPWalker worked in too
Well, if we have to save up , it would take a bit of time before we can all afford lamborgini aventadors.

I did say German. :erm:

Since when have Lambo's been German? Did you even read the OP? :rofl:

You can get Passat's and Jetta's for around £3000-5000 for no problem and they're tidy and reliable motors.

How about someone doesnt care about cars? Do you still potray a silly image of them?

How about you read threads before posting nonsense.
The average age of a Civic owner is around 70 anyway.

Since when have Lambo's been German? Did you even read the OP? :rofl:

Since 1998 when VW bought them.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord

Still not truly German.
PRSOM :lol:
Japanese > German
Reply 12
Original post by Camoxide
Japanese > German

I know we call our cars girls but bear in mind that they are not the same thing. :tongue:

To be fair, the people you describe mostly buy Type-R's which are a lot quicker than a Passat or Jetta.
Original post by DotDotCurve
To be fair, the people you describe mostly buy Type-R's which are a lot quicker than a Passat or Jetta.

Top end Passat/Jetta > Type R.

Its not all about speed either considering there are limits.
Top end Passat/Jetta > Type R.

Its not all about speed either considering there are limits.

I've driven both. The civic also handles corners at speed a lot better than the passat.

I don't think there is one way performance wise the passat would be better than the civic. If you cant think of one let me know.

Edit: and my response regarding speed was aimed at your comment that civics are slow.
Original post by DotDotCurve
I've driven both. The civic also handles corners at speed a lot better than the passat.

I don't think there is one way performance wise the passat would be better than the civic. If you cant think of one let me know.

Edit: and my response regarding speed was aimed at your comment that civics are slow.

A top of the range Passat is more than a match in straight line acceleration for a top of the range Civic. The Passat is most crucially of all a saloon, and therefore has the winning combination of elegance and performance under one roof. It is spacious inside also, you can carry 4 friends in comfort to look back at the dusted Civic. And naturally being German, the Passat has the very best heritage. Why settle for anything less?

A cheap car is a false economy, in much the same way that a cheap suit is a false economy. Although it may set you back less at first, you will not be afforded the same opportunities in life, or gain the respect of your peers and women in a cheap car, anymore than a cheap suit. An elegant saloon will give you the very best in life.
Original post by PricklyPorcupine
Didn't even know they were rated...

Hatchbacks generally aren't worth bothering with. If you must buy a hatchback for some reason then make sure that it is German at least.
Original post by traintracks1995
And naturally being German, the Passat has the very best heritage.

Third Reich creation yeah best heritage indeed LOL
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
The average age of a Civic owner is around 70 anyway.

Hey!

Mines a bloody hybrid!

OK it's not bloody. That would be cool. Thouh they're more popular in the US? And I have the excuse that they're stereotypically Asian cars....

Honestly, when I go home, it's like the town is one major car show for Toyota/Honda...

Quick Reply

Latest