The Student Room Group

Car for PGCE- Corsa/Clio

Hello,

I am looking at getting a car as I am starting a PGCE in September.

I will need one that is cheap-ish to insure, but also, because my placements could be miles away, I need something fuel efficient.

With my job now I drive lots of different cars, but they are mainly ones with big engines that are pretty much new- but the car I will have to buy will have to be second hand and presumably (for insurance) have a smaller engine. The only smaller cars I have driven are Corsas and Clios so I would consider getting one of these- maybe a Clio in particular as there is the 1.5 diesel model.

Can anyone with a Corsa or Clio that is 4-8 Years old comment on the fuel efficiency and reliability of the cars? Or does anyone have other suggestions of other makes/models that would work for me?

Reply 1
Clio obv

Petrol
Reply 2
Original post by flymetothemoon
Hello,

I will need one that is cheap-ish to insure, but also, because my placements could be miles away, I need something fuel efficient.

With my job now I drive lots of different cars, but they are mainly ones with big engines that are pretty much new- but the car I will have to buy will have to be second hand and presumably (for insurance) have a smaller engine. The only smaller cars I have driven are Corsas and Clios so I would consider getting one of these- maybe a Clio in particular as there is the 1.5 diesel model.

Can anyone with a Corsa or Clio that is 4-8 Years old comment on the fuel efficiency and reliability of the cars? Or does anyone have other suggestions of other makes/models that would work for me?

Depends on your budget for a car.
Hello,

Have you considered a Jetta? The Volkswagen Jetta is a suave and sophisticated saloon up to almost any task. It has the space for a family, even an expanding one, and the great looks any car lover would admire. It packs a punch too which perfectly compliments that elegant look. What more could you want from a car than both performance and class? Best of all, this motor is German and is perfectly suitable to late night street racing and will gain me instant respect amongst my peers and females alike.
Reply 4
Hello,

The only smaller cars I have driven are Corsas and Clios so I would consider getting one of these- maybe a Clio in particular as there is the 1.5 diesel model.

Hey :smile:

I know Clios tend to get a lot of stick on here, but I had the 1.5 diesel model up until last year and I loved it!
It was very easy to drive, handled beautifully and was incredibly fuel efficient - I once drove from London to Cardiff and back (300 ish miles) on just over half a tank. For a diesel I didn't find the car to be particularly heavy or loud - no more so than petrols I have driven. It was also quite nifty and could keep up very nicely with bigger cars on the motorway.
I might have just been lucky in that I never experienced any of the reported "French car problems" (in fact I've since brought a Peugeot so fingers crossed my luck holds!!) so can't comment on that.

I'm also starting a PGCE in September and kind of still wish I had my Clio!
Only thing I disliked was how physically small it was - if big cars parked around it in a a car park your could barely see it! But that's just me, 2 adults could fit fairly comfortably in the back (3 may have been pushing it).

Just my input - I'm sure others will be along to slate the Clio :tongue:
Edit: Thought I'd add I got rid of it as I didn't really need a car at the time.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by magic_box

I know Clios tend to get a lot of stick on here, but I had the 1.5 diesel model up until last year and I loved it!
It was very easy to drive, handled beautifully and was incredibly fuel efficient - I once drove from London to Cardiff and back (300 ish miles) on just over half a tank. For a diesel I didn't find the car to be particularly heavy or loud - no more so than petrols I have driven. It was also quite nifty and could keep up very nicely with bigger cars on the motorway.
I might have just been lucky in that I never experienced any of the reported "French car problems" (in fact I've since brought a Peugeot so fingers crossed my luck holds!!) so can't comment on that.

Only thing I disliked was how physically small it was - if big cars parked around it in a a car park your could barely see it! But that's just me, 2 adults could fit fairly comfortably in the back (3 may have been pushing it).

Edit: Thought I'd add I got rid of it as I didn't really need a car at the time.

Did you ever consider buying a Saloon OP?
Reply 6
I'd go for Clio myself, well, I did.

If you do go for a Corsa try not to get twin-port one though, from people i know who have one they're unreliable as anything.

I've had problems with Clio but only 1 or 2.
I'd say a thing to look out for on Clios 2001-06ish is if they have had the recall done for the bonnet that tended to fly up randomly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by traintracks1995
Did you ever consider buying a Saloon OP?

I'm not the OP traintracks, think you quoted me by mistake.
However I think your threads are working subliminally as saloons are kind of growing on me. Maybe in a few years when I have a family I'd consider one :tongue:
Reply 8
However I think your threads are working subliminally as saloons are kind of growing on me. Maybe in a few years when I have a family I'd consider one :tongue:

Hah yes

saloon swag

Who wouldn't want to travel in elegant style and comfort in a spacious German Saloon. Pulling up in a car park next to a peasant in a French hatchback, you will look at them as if they are dirt under your shoe. You walk with swagger now, balling in your German Whip.
Original post by Jusd
Hah yes

saloon swag
#VAGSwag
Thanks for the replies guys- especially the tip about the bonnets flying up!

as for saloon swag...might wait till I need a bigger car :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)

Thanks for that advice! Are you doing primary or secondary PGCE?!
Who wouldn't want to travel in elegant style and comfort in a spacious German Saloon. Pulling up in a car park next to a peasant in a French hatchback, you will look at them as if they are dirt under your shoe. You walk with swagger now, balling in your German Whip.

Exactly. I'm getting a Jetta for my PGCE. Got to turn up in style so the hot teachers want to ride home after work. A German saloon is the only wingman you'll ever need. Its sophisticated, elegant and doesn't even talk. It just works. How can you get better than that?
Original post by Mickey O'Neil
Exactly. I'm getting a Jetta for my PGCE. Got to turn up in style so the hot teachers want to ride home after work. A German saloon is the only wingman you'll ever need. Its sophisticated, elegant and doesn't even talk. It just works. How can you get better than that?

When the children see you get into your elegantly styled Saloon at the end of the day, they will pay attention when you are speaking, as they can tell that this is a man that has made it in life.
When the children see you get into your elegantly styled Saloon at the end of the day, they will pay attention when you are speaking, as they can tell that this is a man that has made it in life.

See teacher drivin' a German whip....look like a baller......let him teach n dat!!!

:cool:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending