The Student Room Group

Gcse additional science

I'm revising for my AQA additional science course and am looking for any tips or advice that anyone has about the best way to revise and retain information for GCSE science. Thanks in advance for any help :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Iamascientist999
I'm revising for my AQA additional science course and am looking for any tips or advice that anyone has about the best way to revise and retain information for GCSE science. Thanks in advance for any help :smile:

Have you got the cgp revision books? I find the end of section quizzes are useful because they get you to recall the info so you can check what you know. I have the workbook as well, which is like extended end of section quizzes.

Don't forget past papers as a final things-don't do them until you're sure you know your stuff as these should be to get used to the style of q rather than test your knowledge. Ask your teachers for some or get them from the aqa website, and the mark schemes so you can mark them yourself. Its more helpful coz then you know what the examiner was looking for.
I am also doing aqa additional science this year.
What is your target grade?
His
Original post by name not valid
Have you got the cgp revision books? I find the end of section quizzes are useful because they get you to recall the info so you can check what you know. I have the workbook as well, which is like extended end of section quizzes.

Don't forget past papers as a final things-don't do them until you're sure you know your stuff as these should be to get used to the style of q rather than test your knowledge. Ask your teachers for some or get them from the aqa website, and the mark schemes so you can mark them yourself. Its more helpful coz then you know what the examiner was looking for.
I am also doing aqa additional science this year.
What is your target grade?

Sorry it took a while to reply, I've been away. Thanks for the advice I have done most of the things you suggested successfully and am making progress! My target is an A*'but I'm having to do a lot of work myself to achieve this since my teachers been having an operation and so we've had a terrible cover teacher for a month leaving myself with no option but to practically teach myself the whole chemistry course :frown: I'm in year 10 by the way, I took core early in year 9 and got an A* yay:tongue: You?
His

Sorry it took a while to reply, I've been away. Thanks for the advice I have done most of the things you suggested successfully and am making progress! My target is an A*'but I'm having to do a lot of work myself to achieve this since my teachers been having an operation and so we've had a terrible cover teacher for a month leaving myself with no option but to practically teach myself the whole chemistry course :frown: I'm in year 10 by the way, I took core early in year 9 and got an A* yay:tongue: You?

I'm in Y11, took core last year. Was targeted an A* for it but was 2 or 3 marks off :frown: got a remark on my biology and lost a couple more marks lol
This year, targeted A* again and really hoping to get it this time, plus taking things a lot more seriously because I've got the rest of my GCSEs as well.
Also had to teach myself chemistry last year because my teacher was ill from October to about March, but it paid off- it was the highest mark I got :biggrin:
Have got to teach myself chemistry again this year, same teacher went wakeboarding or something in summer, slipped a disc in her back and has not been seen since October.But our cover teacher is quite good actually so maybe not as much to teach myself, just the calculation stuff that she wasn't there to teach.

I know some websites that may be useful as well but I'm a bit new to the student room so I don't really know whether I can refer to them?
I'm in Y11, took core last year. Was targeted an A* for it but was 2 or 3 marks off :frown: got a remark on my biology and lost a couple more marks lol
This year, targeted A* again and really hoping to get it this time, plus taking things a lot more seriously because I've got the rest of my GCSEs as well.
Also had to teach myself chemistry last year because my teacher was ill from October to about March, but it paid off- it was the highest mark I got :biggrin:
Have got to teach myself chemistry again this year, same teacher went wakeboarding or something in summer, slipped a disc in her back and has not been seen since October.But our cover teacher is quite good actually so maybe not as much to teach myself, just the calculation stuff that she wasn't there to teach.

I know some websites that may be useful as well but I'm a bit new to the student room so I don't really know whether I can refer to them?

Haha me too, chemistry was my highest mark and aw that's unlucky for your results although you still obviously did amazing, I'm not one of these supernatural people by the way, I only scraped the A* didn't get 100% or anything like some people on here! Yeah for some reason, I hated the Bio paper last year, I hate interpreting graphs and the fact that the whole
sat page revolved around it did not help me! We should help eachother, our ability level sounds pretty similar and if there's anything I can help with let me know, I will message you if I'm struggling likewise :smile: good luck with all your GCSE's, I'm sure you'll do great :biggrin: And yes you can refer to anything you like, if you're interested, I use mygcsescience vids on youtube on topics I don't understand, cgp for general knowledge, a more detailed aqa textbook for deeper knowledge and of course past papers:smile:
Haha me too, chemistry was my highest mark and aw that's unlucky for your results although you still obviously did amazing, I'm not one of these supernatural people by the way, I only scraped the A* didn't get 100% or anything like some people on here! Yeah for some reason, I hated the Bio paper last year, I hate interpreting graphs and the fact that the whole
sat page revolved around it did not help me! We should help eachother, our ability level sounds pretty similar and if there's anything I can help with let me know, I will message you if I'm struggling likewise :smile: good luck with all your GCSE's, I'm sure you'll do great :biggrin: And yes you can refer to anything you like, if you're interested, I use mygcsescience vids on youtube on topics I don't understand, cgp for general knowledge, a more detailed aqa textbook for deeper knowledge and of course past papers:smile:

Biology was my worst exam in the summer, but my ISA really pulled my mark down. I hate all that stuff with graphs too. Especially the "explain the results of the graph" questions. They go right over my head, I always miss something obvious. :frown:
You use mygcse science too?! I was gonna recommend that :biggrin: I find it less distracting to go to his website though, you know, less things you rather be watching :P

OK so I have a few others to help, you might already use them
bbc.co.uk/clips -not just science, just search for what you want, good for all subjects, e.g. you can use it next year when you have everything else to revise for as well

Crash course, YouTube - John Green(the fault in our stars) and his brother, Hank do crash course videos on YouTube. Hank does science ones, I think mainly biology. They can be a bit in depth for what we need but he does manage to make revising light hearted with the animations and tone of voice he's got going on :smile:
On GCSE bite size, go to the audio clips and download the additional science- they're specifically AQA labeled, and the people who do them, the naked scientists, really strip down the topics to bare basics when explaining- really helping for Physics because I have a maternity cover teacher who is fresh from uni and wasn't expecting teaching to be like it is. :P

Hope something there helps you but you seem to be the more clued-in when it comes to this. :smile:
Reply 6
hey does anyone have answers to pg 163 question 3 in the aqa gcse physics book? im really struggling can you please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????
Original post by plantr
hey does anyone have answers to pg 163 question 3 in the aqa gcse physics book? im really struggling can you please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????

would be easier to post the question. different people have different books. Would be happy to help if you post it. :smile:
Reply 8
would be easier to post the question. different people have different books. Would be happy to help if you post it. :smile:

okay thanks so so much this is the link to the page can you help me with question 3??
(edited 10 years ago)
ok thanks. :smile:
I think I can help. Do you...
1. just need the answers to check your own or
2. not understand the topic?

i can give you what I would answer but that wouldn't really help you if you don't get the topic.
also, what would be the easiest way of helping you here, there seems quite a lot (at a glance) to post.
if you want i will make a word document and post that but my internet is slow and it may not work... just a warning! :s-smilie:
Reply 10
ok thanks. :smile:
I think I can help. Do you...
1. just need the answers to check your own or
2. not understand the topic?

i can give you what I would answer but that wouldn't really help you if you don't get the topic.
also, what would be the easiest way of helping you here, there seems quite a lot (at a glance) to post.
if you want i will make a word document and post that but my internet is slow and it may not work... just a warning! :s-smilie:

im so sorry that theres so much work but i feel that my answers are all wrong so could you give to them to me any way you can? thanks again:colondollar:
Original post by plantr
im so sorry that theres so much work but i feel that my answers are all wrong so could you give to them to me any way you can? thanks again:colondollar:
so you've had a go? is it just q3 or do you want me to look at them all? i don't mind the work-helps my own revision :biggrin: I'm working on q3 at the moment-can see why you struggled!
Reply 12
so you've had a go? is it just q3 or do you want me to look at them all? i don't mind the work-helps my own revision :biggrin: I'm working on q3 at the moment-can see why you struggled!

yeah thanks:smile: just q3. its one of the those questions where if you get one thing wrong the rest also become incorrect:angry: soooooo frustrating
Original post by plantr
yeah thanks:smile: just q3. its one of the those questions where if you get one thing wrong the rest also become incorrect:angry: soooooo frustrating

well, I've done it all anyway.:colondollar: here are my answers, don't take them as God's word;they're not, feel free to question anything, especially 3b,ii. lol I got a bit stuck there.:confused:
I think I've attached it?
Reply 14
well, I've done it all anyway.:colondollar: here are my answers, don't take them as God's word;they're not, feel free to question anything, especially 3b,ii. lol I got a bit stuck there.:confused:
I think I've attached it?

thank you soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much :smile:
you are a life saver!!!!!!!
Original post by plantr
thank you soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much :smile:
you are a life saver!!!!!!!

my answers aren't necessarily right...
:K:
I'm doing triple science for GCSE.I would recommend doing lots of past papers for practice and looking at the mark schemes. This really improves exam technique. I also really like the CGP books as they are quite funny and they are easy to understand. I also use a resource called GCSE pod where you can download and listen to podcasts for every subject.

Other useful methods are
Mindmaps
Post its
Practice questions
YouTube videos
Extra reading on the subject
Original post by VioletPhillippo
I'm doing triple science for GCSE.I would recommend doing lots of past papers for practice and looking at the mark schemes. This really improves exam technique. I also really like the CGP books as they are quite funny and they are easy to understand. I also use a resource called GCSE pod where you can download and listen to podcasts for every subject.

Other useful methods are
Mindmaps
Post its
Practice questions
YouTube videos
Extra reading on the subject

Thanks for the advice. Haven't heard of GCSE pod before so I'm gonna have a look. Do you need any help with anything?
Thanks for the advice. Haven't heard of GCSE pod before so I'm gonna have a look. Do you need any help with anything?

Thanks for the offer, I think I'm ok at the moment :smile:
Reply 19
my answers aren't necessarily right...
:K:

i got the same answers as you so its cool:tongue: it just means that my calculations have to make some sense at least so:cool:thankssss

Quick Reply

Latest