The Student Room Group

Maths and computer science?

Hi. I was just wondering what people's thoughts are on study joint honours computer science and maths, or whether it's better to just do computer science.
Reply 1
Original post by RG110man
Hi. I was just wondering what people's thoughts are on study joint honours computer science and maths, or whether it's better to just do computer science.

it depends.
Reply 2
Original post by 391iady
it depends.

Depends on what?
Reply 3
Depends on what?

many things, such as what university you're going to. your ideal career etc
Depends on whether you want more Maths...or not...I applied for Maths and CS because I felt like CS lacked the Maths that I wanted to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by yl95
Depends on whether you want more Maths...or not...I applied for Maths and CS because I felt like CS lacked the Maths that I wanted to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do employers think of joint honours. Do they see it as being 2 subjects watered down, or do they see is as being better as you've effectively done 2 subjects?
What do employers think of joint honours. Do they see it as being 2 subjects watered down, or do they see is as being better as you've effectively done 2 subjects?

With M+CS I don't really think it makes much difference; they see you as someone with both skill sets from what I've heard.
Reply 7
Original post by yl95

Posted from TSR Mobile

I originally applied for CS to Exeter and wasn't 100% sure if that's what I wanted to do. Looking at the modules after I applied, CS & math looked a lot more interesting because I've always liked math (not great but i'm adequate) so I switched to CS & math and firmed that. Looking at the modules on the math side, it looks like the first sem will mostly be review for me so I'm not too worried (especially since it's 100% based on the final exam).

I am a little worried though since I'm coming from the American system and also I'm hoping I haven't bitten off more than I can chew by combining the two seeing as I wasn't sure if CS was 100% the thing for me in the first place. Fingers crossed I can handle it.

Do you think I'll be alright having only really AP Physics and AP Calculus AB as my background for the course (along with some programming fundamentals learned from the internet).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8

The requirements they list on the job advert are normally more important than whether you did maths and comp or straight comp.. Don't worry about it. Do what you enjoy most!
Reply 9
Just do computer science, you're better off.
Original post by txo
Just do computer science, you're better off.

Why do you say that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not that I know much about Computer Science industry. I think having a joint CS + Maths degree will stand you in better stead. You have an applicable mathematical knowledge whilst also having the skills to programme etc.. etc..
Reply 12

In my experience: no real difference from employers. All the CS and MCS students I know (I do pure CS personally) have graduated to go on to the same positions at the same places (be that tech firms, finance, academia, etc.)

I would recommend doing the one you think you will prefer.
The only advantage of doing a joint degree I can see if you want to specialize in numerical analysis (which is a reasonably small sub-field of computer science), or if you want to go into academia. For 95% of programming jobs out there, pre-university maths (basic calculus, basic linear algebra) is enough. I've worked as a professional developer for about 3 years in total (doing game design, some low level stuff, and writing some Linux drivers), the most advanced maths I have used is basic trigonometry and basic statistics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending