The Student Room Group

Need to drop 3 kilos

Competing in national sailing event in 6 weeks time and myself and the guys that I sail with each need to drop around 3 kilos so that we're under the weight limit for the weigh in. It would be nice to be able to loose my share of the weight ASAP and then just sit at that weight up until the event, just so I've got a bit more of a guarantee that I'm up to standard.

We're all pretty fit, so the plan at the moment is lots of cycling (circa 40 miles twice a week with minimal food), lots of fruit and veg and minimal junkfood. How does that sound?

Has anyone got any other tips to get rid of the weight? Everything that google brings up is aimed at slightly podgy middle-aged women who just want to be able to squeeze back into the dress they wore for their niece's christening in 2002, or something to that effect anyway. That's all fine, but it all seems quite long term and not really geared towards just losing weight, it's all about losing it from specific places... Not really what I'm after.

Any tips appreciated!
Calculate your needed calories to lose around about 1-1.25lb a week (6 weeks = ~6.6 lbs = 3kg). A rough estimate is to calculate your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR), that is the amount of calories your body uses at rest. Then multiply by a factor that depends on your activity level. You will have to decide between light activity to very active. That will give you the amount of calories to maintain your current weight. Simply eat 300-500 calories less than this number each day.

Here is a calculator so you don't have to do it by hand:

http://caloriecount.about.com/tools/calories-goal

You want to lose fat rather than muscle mass, so make sure you get adequate protein to maintain muscle mass. Also don't drop your calories too low, rapid weight loss isn't a good thing. Hope this helps.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Just out of interest what boat do u race ?? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
running helps! it burns fat from your whole body and you will feel great after running!
dont starve, but eat less and healthier.
Reply 4
Weighing in and losing weight are not the same thing. You should be able to sweat 1kg comfortably, lose ~1kg+ from fibre reducing. You don't need to drop 3kg of actual weight.
Reply 5
Original post by hjanes
Just out of interest what boat do u race ?? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I race on a J80! Do you sail too then?

Original post by SimonM
Weighing in and losing weight are not the same thing. You should be able to sweat 1kg comfortably, lose ~1kg+ from fibre reducing. You don't need to drop 3kg of actual weight.

We worked out the weight that we needed to lose by weighing ourselves at the start of the day (apparently you're lightest then), with no clothes on, so the only way I'm going to get lighter than that without actively trying to lose weight is by sweating it out on the day as you said. I'd kind of like to avoid that because we've had to do it before and it's quite unpleasant.

The issue is that it's right in the middle of exam season for me, so I haven't got the time to try and mess about on the day of the weigh in trying to sweat out weight, dehydrate myself etc. It'd be much less stressful to just get rid of the weight now, one less thing for me to worry about! :s-smilie:

Original post by Crazy91
running helps! it burns fat from your whole body and you will feel great after running!
dont starve, but eat less and healthier.

Yeah running would be a good one, pretty easy to slot a few sessions in here and there I guess. Yeah healthy diet has started now, somehow managed to force myself not to go to Macdonalds after work. I used the calorie calculator that another person posted, so I more or less know roughly what I can afford to eat. Thanks! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Stopping eating is a bad idea for the short term and will probably screw with bodily functions before you see any real weight loss. Eat normal but just below your recomended intake and train hard.

Quality over quantity, a 60 minute circtuit training session is better in my opinion than doing like 3 hours on a bike.
Reply 7
Original post by bad_moose
I race on a J80! Do you sail too then?

Yh I race dinghies, I race radials :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by bad_moose
We worked out the weight that we needed to lose by weighing ourselves at the start of the day (apparently you're lightest then), with no clothes on, so the only way I'm going to get lighter than that without actively trying to lose weight is by sweating it out on the day as you said. I'd kind of like to avoid that because we've had to do it before and it's quite unpleasant.

The issue is that it's right in the middle of exam season for me, so I haven't got the time to try and mess about on the day of the weigh in trying to sweat out weight, dehydrate myself etc. It'd be much less stressful to just get rid of the weight now, one less thing for me to worry about! :s-smilie:

Personally, I find I struggle more having to keep weight off by dieting during exams than I do having sweat and fibre reduce. Weighing yourself once in the morning is not sufficient to have a good idea of your weight either. You should weigh yourself at least every morning for a week or so to get some idea of how your weight fluctuates.

Quick Reply

Latest